First time to carry in public (Do you remember yours?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I was born and raised in East Chicago. During the last 10 years that I lived there (89-99) it was starting to get pretty dicey. I don't exactly remember the first time I carried, just the general time frame. I certainly felt safer, but I never felt self-conscious about it, my environment had a lot to do with that I'm sure.

hooligan317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2014
    Carmel
    I actually had this "first" today. Glock 19 IWB holster. Felt self conscious for a few minutes in Target but that faded quickly and by the end of the evening running errands I was pretty confident nobody cared/noticed.

Motorhead302

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Fulton County
    i don't remember the very first time, but shortly after i started carrying, i had a 1911 in a paddle holster, and just had my t shirt and jacket over it. my wife at the time and i went to the local truck stop for breakfast, and as i was putting on my jacket to leave, the guy at the next table told his companion "hey, that guy's packing". i didn't look at him or say anything, but i was kind of embarrassed for a few minutes. lol.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    First time I OCed was the night of the 9-11 attacks. I wasn't sure how it turn out and what if any comments I'd get but I remember me and the gf at the time had several folks mention that it was a smart move and that they were thinking about starting to carry since no one knew what the heck was going on that day. Have been OC & CC ever since that day.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    1982. Carried a nickel-plated Charter Arms Undercover Special in a DeSantis pancake holster into a Omelet Shoppe for breakfast.

God, I miss Omelet Shoppes. They had the best sausage and cheese omelets.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    My first time was OC strapped on, took my brand new LTCH to the local copy center and made copies.

Then went to Walmart and Martin's just because I could.

Funny though.. No one noticed it then. Lol

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    I had just moved from Aurora, CO. to Tempe, AZ. after living in Chicago for all my life. A place, where at the time, handguns were banned in Cook County. I bought myself a XD 45 Tactical Stainless and mulled over carrying it for months, before I finally strapped it on one day and headed out to take a stroll and kinda gauge my readiness/public reaction.

The pure anguish overwhelmed me. Yet, no one even cared. I OC'd the entire summer til my carry permit showed up.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Op, just make sure you practice the proper draw and feel comfortable with the draw. Have you practiced pulling your shirt up with your weak hand? Can you re holster without looking for your holster? Carrying is one thing, drawing and reholstering safely is another.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    First time I OCed was to, I believe, a cousin's birthday party and had a run in with an off duty sheriff (my uncle) who is, apparently, against OC.

First time I CCed was to WalMart. I remember someone telling me it was a right of passage or something like that. :):

I only CC now, due to lack of holster options, but come Monday, I will have options on holsters and guns. ;)

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    When I started carrying it was always concealed. Actually I still always carry concealed unless I know I wont be leaving the car.

I felt like everyone could see it and was very self-conscious about it. To me I might as well have been carrying a huge sign above my head that said: "LOOK EVERYONE, I'M TRYING TO HIDE IT BUT I'M CLEARLY ARMED".

I was also checking constantly to make sure it was still there and everything was okay. Adjustments to my shirt was done on pretty much a per-minute basis.

That all lasted maybe a month before I got comfortable and received my supertuck holster from crossbread. Now the only thing I really do is occasionally make sure the gun is still there because that holster is so good I often swear the gun is gone until I feel it.

"Newbies" just need to understand that everyone is not checking you out to see if you have a gun or not. Even if you are printing very few people would correlate that printing to the fact that you are carrying. Those who do are probably carrying themselves. The other important thing is to invest in a good holster.

As for my first place carrying: To staples to get my brand new LTCH laminated/copied.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Honestly the First time I open carried I was nervouse as along tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs LOL I thought everyone was looking at me and wondering what I was doing I was 18 years old and not even out of High school yet I was held back a year it was in 1998 when i first open carried my pistol it was a Bersa Thunder 380 thanks for this post it made me think of some old times

tumblr_lxyp1gHcbQ1ql0y2m.gif

Redacted

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Westville
    My first time carrying I was doing some shopping with my family at Kohls and stopped by office max to get some copy paper. I was a bit self conscious. Before my LTCH came in I did some mental exercises to prepare me for carrying. I would carry my empty MTAC around town while shopping or running around. I don't really think about it all that much. What I'm doing is perfectly legal and safe. Now if I was carrying in a $15 Uncle mikes that would be a different story. I invested in a good holster and a good belt. They make all the difference. I don't worry about printing because I have other things to worry about like situational awareness. 99% of people are walking zombies who pay no attention to the bulge on my hip. I'm hyper vigilant when carrying but I feel prepared for situations if they arise.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I walked through walmart to pick up my graduation cake the first time I carried a handgun. I didn't feel too weird since i had carried a long gun in public before.

Top Bottom