• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    I'm out in Kansas for a few days on business, so since they are recip with Indiana, I decided to bring my favorite EDC G26 along. Didn't know what to expect, but it was really not a big deal. The Southwest agent just had me fill out a declaration form and he taped it to my gun case inside my suitcase. The TSA checks your form at the security line and you have to wait for a supervisor to tell you your bag has cleared screening, but after that, you are good to go.

Really didn't add more than a few minutes to my check in time, so totally worth it to have my favorite piece with me while out of town.

Kudos to SWA for making it an easy check in. The guy at the counter seemed to be very 2A friendly.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    If he is re-routed through an unfriendly state, what kind of charges would he face? Wouldn't the Interstate Transportation of Firearms Act cover him? It does not differentiate between POVs or airlines.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    If he is re-routed through an unfriendly state, what kind of charges would he face? Wouldn't the Interstate Transportation of Firearms Act cover him? It does not differentiate between POVs or airlines.

I travel a lot, and I can only remember a couple of times that I got delayed / re-routed / cancelled / missed flight and actually got my luggage back. It usually always makes it to my destination even if I show up later. I suppose something could go south and I could end up at Chicago Midway since I'm flying SWA, but I agree, ITFA would cover me.

I've reviewed all of the states that I typically travel to or through and they all permit locked and unloaded in the trunk of a POV, so I think I'm good.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Just went thru this with American and had a similar experience to the OP.

just be very careful if you're re-routed on the return trip to an unfriendly state.

Since the firearm is in a CHECKED piece of luggage (required by law) and won't be in his possession until he hits his final destination, a re-route shouldn't be an issue.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011

Since the firearm is in a CHECKED piece of luggage (required by law) and won't be in his possession until he hits his final destination, a re-route shouldn't be an issue.

No but if you are booked to BWI (MD) but get re-routed and fly into DCA (DC) that could be an issue. Just keep it in your checked luggage until you know where you are, and what the rules are!

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I remember a story of a guy who landed in Jersey and got arrested because the airline returned his luggage to him and he didn't have a permit, even though the firearm (unloaded with ammunition in separate container) was locked in a box and was never taken out.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    How did they know he had it in his luggage ?

Because you have to declare firearms to fly with them.

If you end up in a hostile jurisdiction my understanding is that you can refuse to take your luggage and make the air carrier keep control of it. Their employees should be covered as common carriers.

Obviously not legal advice, but that's what I'd do.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Because you have to declare firearms to fly with them.

I understand that - I just went through it. But how did they know at his DESTINATION ? There is nothing on your bag to indicate that you have a firearm inside, nor is there anything on your documents. The gate agent placed the declaration tag on my gun case after he had already tagged the outside and I already had my boarding pass, so there was no information on it either.

I'm just wondering how the people at his destination knew he was traveling with a checked firearm. Maybe the info is transmitted to TSA and ends up on the passenger manifest. :dunno:

Not disputing the fact that it happened - I'm just curious for future travels to possibly hostile states.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    Lectric...was this a carry on, or stowed luggage? I have never paid attention. On my last trip back to Indy I was rerouted to Newark NJ. My firearm was stowed luggage. Now I have concerns...AA has also rerouted me to Chicago once as well.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Lectric...was this a carry on, or stowed luggage? I have never paid attention. On my last trip back to Indy I was rerouted to Newark NJ. My firearm was stowed luggage. Now I have concerns...AA has also rerouted me to Chicago once as well.

I wasn't the one that had the problem. I was simply questioning a story that someone else recounted.

And, FWIW, it had to have been checked luggage. He would have never gotten on the plane with gun in his carry-on (we hope).

I had zero issues from IND to MCI and just checked in for my flight from MCI to IND, again with zero issues. I even watched the TSA agent x-ray my bag.

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012

About 12-15 years ago a blizzard shut down the Indy airport and my flight was re-routed to Cleveland where I was given my checked luggage to take to a hotel. It easily could have been Chicago, DC, or some other place where having a gun would be an issue.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    If you end up in a hostile jurisdiction my understanding is that you can refuse to take your luggage and make the air carrier keep control of it. Their employees should be covered as common carriers.

Obviously not legal advice, but that's what I'd do.

In the event this were to happen, I'd probably do something along these lines until something else could be worked out.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Google found this article. I don't fly since TSA started screening simply due to the hastle and thefts. It would be nice to be able to CCW when I get to my destination. I know, we have a LTCH but when you get to your destination, you have to abide by their CCW laws. I might also throw in a recommendation for the "CCW" app on Android and it will give you the laws in the state you are visiting.

Traveling Man's Gun Arrest Appealed to Supreme Court | Fox News

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom