• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rycollier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2010
    I was thinking of picking out competition rifle match to participate in. Any suggestions on which ones to start with?

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    That depends on what kind of rifle you want to use. If an AR, probably NRA Highpower. Scoped bolt gun, NRA F-Class. 22 LR, smallbore silhouette or bench rest.

Appleseed is another option, but that (at least to my understanding) isn't as much of a competition as it is a marksmanship/history lesson.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    reading material:

Indiana State Rifle And Pistol Association - Home

www.odcmp.org

NRA

What type of rifle and competition are you interested in?

IMO, NRA Highpower is good all by itself and if you can become proficient in that discipline, it carries over into other disciplines.

On the other hand, the best NRA Highpower shooters learned how to shoot in NRA Junior Smallbore, both long range and across the course.

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I am interested as well. I have been looking at Highpower and Benchrest. Highpower looks very similar to the course we qualified on in the Marines. 200, 300, and 500 yds./meters standing, sitting, kneeling, and prone. Familiar would be good to start with. I also like the idea of long range competition and pushing my limits. I have been looking at rifles recently, but I am not sure which way to go at this point. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would be looking to get something that I could upgrade as my budget allows. Thanks!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    you might look at www.cihprs.com

as far as what rifle, thats a tough one. truth be told you ask 10 shooters that and you will get 10 diffrent answers.

ill go through what i did when looking for a rifle.

first what do you want to shoot? depending on the answer to that some comps have restrictions. i chose f-class because my goal what shooting 1000yds and it was a scarry thought doing that open sighted.

2nd i looked at caliber. after looking at avaible bullets and there bc i chose the 6.5mm. but to be honest if they make a high bc bullet you will probably be ok. i chose the 6.5 because with the little knowlege i possess i thought that was the best bc to speed ratio for the range i intended on shooting.

3rd inside the 6.5 family there are alot of options. it didn't take me long to narrow that down to the 6.5x284 and the 260 rem.

the problem i had with the 6.5x284 was its reputation for being a barrel burner

the problems i had with the 260 is its slower than the 6.5x284 and lapua doesn't make brass for it so it would add one more variable to the reloading process if i wanted lapua brass.

ultimantally i decided on the 260 because i figured i needed to pratice me alot more than have a faster bullet. basically being new i would rather be shooting a round i had 1000 plus rounds down range at a couple hundred fps slower than a round i had little pratice with going faster. its not in my budget to replace barrels often so the 260 won.

then i decided i would do a custom build on custom action and it would take me a year or 2 to save up the funds to complete it. i had the money saved up for the action alone and was asking questions on ingo and other forums about diffrent custom actions and sloughfoot offered to sell used rifle as a great price so all that custom action stuff went out the window and i bought his.

if i had it all to do over i would not change a thing about the way my decision process went and the choice i made. i have alot of rounds down range with this rifle but only have 60 down range at a actual match. but at that match i scored a 289 ( i think) at 500 yds wich i was very pleased with.

one thing about this is you will be shocked at how helpfull the shooters in this sport are to the new guy.

im defintally not the most knowlegable person on ingo in this arena (sloughfoot and litlratt have been the most helpful to me but im sure there are others) but if you have any questions pm me and ill try and answer or say "i have no clue" if i can help ill be glad to

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The Highpower course is very familiar to all Marines because it is the same course of fire. Can't say that about the Army because they abandoned traditional marksmanship training in the 60's. They may be coming back to it though, we will see.

In fact, the Military rifle teams are in full attendance at the Nationals every summer and numerous local and regional matches. It is real nice to shoot with the finest America has to offer and spend time talking with them in the pits.

For a beginning Highpower shooter, I recommend you purchase a RRA or Bushmaster DCM AR15 "Service rifle". Right out of the box, these rifles are competitive. If you can shoot highpower at Ft Wayne Rifle and Revolver, we have a AR15 rifle we will loan you to shoot the match. I don't know of any other clubs that have loaner rifles, but I know a lot of individuals that will loan you a rifle to shoot a match.

I hope to see you on the range....

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Thanks for the kind words Vette. If you want to shoot across the course sometime at Camp Atterbury, let me know and I will bring a loaner rifle for you. I also shoot at Wildcat fairly frequently and I can bring a loaner there too.

Across the course is 200 yard standing slow fire, 200 sitting rapid fire, 300 prone rapid fire, and 500 (or 600) yard prone slow fire.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thanks for the kind words Vette. If you want to shoot across the course sometime at Camp Atterbury, let me know and I will bring a loaner rifle for you. I also shoot at Wildcat fairly frequently and I can bring a loaner there too.

Across the course is 200 yard standing slow fire, 200 sitting rapid fire, 300 prone rapid fire, and 500 (or 600) yard prone slow fire.

i might have to take you up on that offer

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I think I am going to try to come to Atterbury this weekend, just to meet some folks and see what people are shooting. Thanks to all for the advice. I have been looking at the Ar-15 A2 configuration because they are familiar, so thanks for the recommendations.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I think I am going to try to come to Atterbury this weekend, just to meet some folks and see what people are shooting. Thanks to all for the advice. I have been looking at the Ar-15 A2 configuration because they are familiar, so thanks for the recommendations.

You have to be on the Security list in order to be admitted on post. Details are at the CIHPRS website. This is on the Military base, not the DNR range open to the public across the street. Matches out to 500 yards are only shot on the Military side.

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    You have to be on the Security list in order to be admitted on post. Details are at the CIHPRS website. This is on the Military base, not the DNR range open to the public across the street. Matches out to 500 yards are only shot on the Military side.
    I joined the Yahoo group a couple of weeks ago and sent my info in last week, so hopefully I'm on the list. I would like to check it out as I have a few hours free on Sat. Thanks again for the info.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I joined the Yahoo group a couple of weeks ago and sent my info in last week, so hopefully I'm on the list. I would like to check it out as I have a few hours free on Sat. Thanks again for the info.

There is a match in Ypsilanti this Saturday. I won't be shooting the CIHPRS match because I will be in Michigan. Maybe we will meet up sometime. Again, the offer of a loaner rifle is always there....

Dean

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    There is a match in Ypsilanti this Saturday. I won't be shooting the CIHPRS match because I will be in Michigan. Maybe we will meet up sometime. Again, the offer of a loaner rifle is always there....

Dean

Thanks so much! I really appreciate your offer and all of the help you and the others on this forum have offered. I really would like to just watch for an hour or two this weekend and meet some people and talk about rifles.

Brett

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thanks so much! I really appreciate your offer and all of the help you and the others on this forum have offered. I really would like to just watch for an hour or two this weekend and meet some people and talk about rifles.

Brett

i wish i could say ill see you there but i cant make it. it seams every time i can make it it rains and when i cant make it its nice out

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute

Brett
    I'll be at the match at Atterbury today.
    Look me up and I'll help you however I can. My name is Gary Chaney.
    I live in Terre Haute which is a reasonable drive for you. I practice quite often at Riley and I have a SR that you're welcome to use. Ammo will be at cost.

Top Bottom