• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    OC: < ask for the manager, if it's during the day ask for the general manager. At this point they either haven't specifically asked you to leave or they may have, if they have say>: I'll leave, but I want to speak to your General manager. <notice you didn't say you aren't leaving UNTIL, you are simply stating your desire to speak to the GM>

There are no execptions to the trespass statue. If you are told to leave by the owner and/or an agent, I would strongly suggest starting to at least walk toward the door. You can ask for the manager to meet you outside, or while you are on your way, but there is no defense in the law that says you can't wait it out just because you didn't say you wouldn't leave or you want to speak to another agent. You are told by a property owner and/or their agent to leave, you should leave.

teejay422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Muncie
    Soooo...

The Head Manager at this particular store is Paul McCord. He used to be my manager at a different location and he was a complete jerk. (Glad to no longer work for that company). So, I called and asked for contact info for the GM without disclosing who I was. I asked briefly about the firearm policy and was given a cookie-cutter answer that the manager on shift "must use his or her judgement" when dealing with customers. He tells me that the ASSistant manager already informed him of the situation and he stands behind him 100%. He gave me the number for corporate 317-594-2100 and told me to call them if i had further questions.

I informed Paul that his misinformed assistant cost his store at least two loyal customers that day. He didn't care. Hopefully the call to corporate will be more fruitful. Any tips on how to take them both out? (Other than the AD idea. I like it, but think it would be a little obvious if I go back).

teejay422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Muncie
    Oh, and my friend had a few choice words for the manager, but isn't the type to make a scene. He also wouldn't intervene unless he felt I needed help in the situation. Basically, he said I handled it well and that he would have fun re-shopping somwhere else. I feel bad about the two hours of his life he'll never get back.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Corporate is concerned with paying customers and any other issue which results in a loss of paying customers.

Of note:
    Their employee made a public scene.
    Their employee made a ridiculous and unsafe request.
    They lost two paying customers and likely made everyone else in the area nervous over nothing.
    Upon reflection, the employee's manager still backs this kind of scene 100%.

Mention that most nationwide stores simply follow state laws as a guideline.

Mention that Starbucks recently concluded that laws are for legislatures and they aren't willing to harrass any potential customers or endanger their employees by making (or allowing) these extra rules for them to enforce.

DCR

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    My experience with marsh corp is that it's a waste of time. I would definitely pursue it on your end, just to make a statement, but don't expect a fruitful, if any, reply.

He thinks it's 100% OK to ask for someone's gun? :laugh:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I OC at the Marsh on east Washington every time I go in there, which isn't often. I have never once been asked to cover or hand it over. :dunno:

Do you think being female makes a difference? I've often wondered if I were a male and OCing in exactly the same place at the same time if it would draw a different response (different being any because I get nothing!). Of course, having a 4y/o and 14month old might also make a difference, male or female. :D

Regarding Marsh groceries, I've never OC'd in the one near me but I have a hard time believing they would say much. Makes me want to make a quick run for something and try it out.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Just spoke with Bob..........the store acting manager, real manager is on vacation now. He said the he contacted legal and they stated that it was up to him if he wanted to allow OC in his store but "WAS NOT MARSH POLICY!"

Please let BOB know your dissatisfaction with his decision 765-289-3995. He's said he'd be "happy" to hear from you!

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Just spoke with Bob...

I also just talked to Bob (reps for the number and your call.:yesway:)

He claims his only issue is with non-LEO open carry - claims it makes customers nervous.

He also claimed that concealing was fine by him and that he only asked to cover the gun, not hand it over. :dunno:

I spoke a little about open carry not being an issue most places in Indiana and that the more common it becomes, the less nervous the general public will be.

As a licensed carrier himself, I hope he considers that his decision to maintain such a rule will only help to equate the sight of guns with social taboo and something the public should fear.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    "Hand it over"? :scratch: What in the world made him think he had the right to confiscate your gun?

Yea, that was my first thought. I mean, of all the times I've been confronted about OCing, the ONLY time I've EVER been asked to "hand it over" was by LEOs. If any regular person would say that to me, I don't care where we were or who was around, I'd have said those few choice words AS I was walking out. But that's just me.

OC with the kids, it's funny to see the way some people react when the see a dad carrying a gun. I almost always OC when I shop with my 3 year old.

Yes. This ^^^. I carry around the grocery store and walmart with my kids all the time. Well, I OC everywhere I go anyway, so.... :): .... But the looks you get when people see you with a kid on one hip and your arm hovering over a holstered pistol on the other is PRICELESS. Sometimes I wish I could snap pictures of people's faces. :)

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    The one off of broadripple/keystone sales steak for cheap cheap cheap...

Late at nights...

Anyways, the manager sounds like freaking idiot. Good job. Next time, go and make a shirt and allow others to know how that Store attempted to infringe on your Rights.

Arrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!:n00b:

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    The Head Manager at this particular store is Paul McCord. He used to be my manager at a different location and he was a complete jerk. (Glad to no longer work for that company). So, I called and asked for contact info for the GM without disclosing who I was. I asked briefly about the firearm policy and was given a cookie-cutter answer that the manager on shift "must use his or her judgement" when dealing with customers. He tells me that the ASSistant manager already informed him of the situation and he stands behind him 100%. He gave me the number for corporate 317-594-2100 and told me to call them if i had further questions.

I informed Paul that his misinformed assistant cost his store at least two loyal customers that day. He didn't care. Hopefully the call to corporate will be more fruitful. Any tips on how to take them both out? (Other than the AD idea. I like it, but think it would be a little obvious if I go back).

Cost them customers. Media, protests, etc. It might be difficult to get a protest going (but from what I hear, INGO could probably help pull one off ;)) but media attention is what would destroy them. Can you imagine the look of ANY reporters face while they say "And then he demanded you hand your loaded gun over to him?!?"

Other pro tips for wreaking havoc with companies, Consumerist.com, email the CEO, call the CEO, call anyone and everyone in the organization. Put out some really bad vibes to Public Relations (or even marketing). Last idea, get everyone you can (even people without LTCH) to wear holsters in the store. When you get an odd look, go talk to the person and explain how a week or so back, an employee attempted to illegally confiscate a legal gun from a legally armed citizen.

These are the slow nuances in retail that they will eventually get tired of, and they will do something about it. They will either change policy, or start firing people.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...Can you imagine the look of ANY reporters face while they say "And then he demanded you hand your loaded gun over to him?!?"

But he denied doing that. Claimed he just wanted it covered.

Without a recording, I doubt it goes anywhere.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Buy their were 3 people that heard him say it, get them all together on TV.

The more witnesses the better. I'll probably try to talk the vacationing manager when he gets back as well. I'd like to see if he will concur that Bob told him he asked for the gun to be handed over.

teejay422

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Muncie
    Thanks to all...

for your support. I will keep following up on this as well. I can't (read can) believe Bob would lie about asking for my gun. That was the whole reason my friend was so upset. Bob was obviously trying to keep me and my wallet in his store and thought that he could give me two options to prevent me from leaving. The point is there are two options: leave me be and let me shop or I will shop somewhere that doesn't care how I carry. Keep up the good work. And, I'm still definitely up for an OC event. Maybe we could have a spur of the moment cookout and all run in to get groceries together. If they don't want us to carry, Fisher's Meats right down the road had good steaks and they don't seem to mind a pistol or two in the store.

Top Bottom