• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    I'm trying to figure out what handgun I should buy. I've only had dealings with one handgun, M9 Berreta, during my stint in the navy. I shot well with it but IMO POS. I dealt with too many broken locking blocks than i care to count.
    What I'm looking for is:
    9MM due to cheapness of ammo and easier re-loading.
    full size
    round bout 300 price range

I've been looking into this for awhile and I'm leaning towards the Ruger SR9.

any help or your take will be appreciated.:)

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm trying to figure out what handgun I should buy. I've only had dealings with one handgun, M9 Berreta, during my stint in the navy. I shot well with it but IMO POS. I dealt with too many broken locking blocks than i care to count.
    What I'm looking for is:
    full size

Whatever you do decide to get, make sure it is a gun you LOVE. And don't ever trade it.

I still have my very first handgun ever purchased. And it shoots as great today as it did 30 years ago.

Also, cheaper isn't always better, especially in the world of handguns. Remember, these things are DESIGNED to have explosions take place inside of them. A better built gun tends to be a safer gun, for the shooter.

Ruger makes some very fine guns. My 1st one was as Ruger MK l. So does Smith and Wesson.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    East Central In.
    What I'm looking for is:
    full size

If memory serves, SOG (Southern Ohio Guns) has used S&W model 5906s on sale for just over $300 a pop. That's an outstanding price for a darn good handgun.

GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    If memory serves, SOG (Southern Ohio Guns) has used S&W model 5906s on sale for just over $300 a pop. That's an outstanding price for a darn good handgun.

Thanks just wikipedia'd it. looks just as to what im looking for do you know if it has ambidextrous magazine catch or atleast you can switch it to cater to a lefty?

castle134

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    I had a SR9. Good gun I really enjoyed it I think you will be happy of you go with that. I never had a single failure of any sorts with it.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Can I suggest a 22LR for the First handgun,

Build skills Cheap
    Still Viable selfdefense

Please come over the Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club, www.hhrp.org

Shoot with us, Shoot club members guns and decide AFTER you shoot a cross section of whats out there.

I don't want to see another good shooter get a gun they can't shoot on a regular basis and thier skills not get built in an efficiant mannor

I'm not pushing any one brand or type I just think you should develop the shooter before buying a lot of hardware.

You can shoot anything I have and do it in a fun enviroment, before you buy Hold out a couple thursday nights and drive over to Columbus

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI

Build skills Cheap
    Still Viable selfdefense

Shoot with us, Shoot club members guns and decide AFTER you shoot a cross section of whats out there.

I don't want to see another good shooter get a gun they can't shoot on a regular basis and thier skills not get built in an efficiant mannor

I'm not pushing any one brand or type I just think you should develop the shooter before buying a lot of hardware.

You can shoot anything I have and do it in a fun enviroment, before you buy Hold out a couple thursday nights and drive over to Columbus

I second the .22 idea. Nothing at all wrong with a .22 lr. They're a blast, great training pieces, and well within your price range.

GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane

Build skills Cheap
    Still Viable selfdefense

Why would you suggest a 22lr? ah nvm thought the rest of your post was you signature lol. I already have the skills(served in navy as Gunnersmate) and i agree with "viable" self defense but i'd like a little more than viable and you cant reload .22. I'm wanting to get into reloading aswell. but yes i plan on getting my wife a 22 pistol eventually

Last edited:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Why would you suggest a 22lr?

1. Cheap to shoot. And practice is an important thing to consider when you decide to get your FIRST handgun.

2. Ammo is readily available.

3. Easy to shoot. Great way to get over the flinch reflex most have when they first shoot.

4. Great all around gun. Can serve in a pinch for home defense, you can hunt with it, varmint control, and just plain fun.

5. A good Ruger .22 or S&W .22 will last several lifetimes.

gsp83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    South Bend, IN
    It's hard to get a new quality 9mm for around 300. But the Ruger SR9 is pretty decent. You could also look into getting the S&W sigma series. They're entry level for sure! I would stay away from the Kel-Tec PF-9. Worst gun I ever bought.

I think your best option is to try and get a used gun in good shape. Hit the local gun shops and see what's available.

GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    Shoot as many as you can before you choose :)
    lol i'd love to, but living in bloomington affords zero ranges with less than an hours drive. and i havent made any friends that have private land. hopefully that will all change when i start work at Crane's small arms division:ar15:

KevinJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    There are a couple ranges near by. One in Martinsville.
    The other I have not been to:
    Panther Ridge Training Center
    Range Location:
    2935 N Vandeventer Rd
    Solsberry, IN

Office Location:
    118 S. College Ave
    Bloomington

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads