• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NolanKeith

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    I have been shooting guns for a few years now and never had the money nor the means to purchase a gun. Now I have a child coming in August and a little bit of cash to spend. I am interested in a compact/full size .40 cal (I've shot the most rounds and accuracy is the best at this caliber). Any suggestions or leads for me in central Indiana? Thank you.

fpdcop

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Madison County
    It is hard to say, alot depends on your preference and style. Myself I like always would have to say a Glock 23 would be a nice first purchase.

NolanKeith

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    I have shot the g23 and I like it just a little concerned with the safety mechanism. also sw40 and a few different berettas.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I love my Sig P229 in .40, but as FPD wrote, it is hard to suggest something to you because it is a personal choice.

I have trouble holding a Glock due to the ergonomics of the grip. I have nothing against them, just can't hold them and be accurate.

NolanKeith

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    I am heading out tomorrow to Bradis and Pop guns to go hold some handguns tomorrow so hopefully I can find one that feels good and shoot a few rounds.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    You might look at the M&P series from Smith and Wesson. I have the same affliction to Glock as BlueTileSpook but I find that the M&P is a great piece for me.

zky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Get something with a good reputation for quality, but more important than anything is that it has to fit your hand. I love Sigs, and my brother hates them. It's all a matter of choice and personal comfort.

derrickgoins

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I'd handle or shoot as many different firearms as you can get your hands on (pop guns has a nice rental selection if you can get down there). That way you'll get something that you like and will actually want to shoot as opposed to something that looked cool at the store (or on the internet) that you hate shooting. Good Luck - there's a lot to choose from. My preference is M&P because of fit in my hands but glocks are great too if you like the fit.

GSquared

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Columbus
    Agree on whatever fits your hand the best and "points" naturally. Then go find a range where you can shoot it, or ask on this board for someone who has one that would be willing to meet you at a range. People will do a lot for some rnage time!!!!

WaltherFan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    EM69XX aka Fishers
    If your wanting something you plan to carry often, I recommend the Walter PPS. It’s a single stack which limits your capacity, but that’s what makes it so easy to carry.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    Springfield Arms XD40SC I am picking one of these up very soon. I also am not to sure of the "trigger safety". Kahr CW40 also feels really good in the hand. M&P 40 compact feels great as well, a little more pricey though. Glock 27 feels good, but I just don't know what to do with my pinky... lol Probably doesn't matter but I will probably pick one up some day.

PurdueGunLover

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Delphi
    Do you plan to shoot much? reload? If so I would not rule out 9mm. I know that many say that 9mm isn't big enough. I like it.

100 round boxes at walmart
    23.97-9mm
    29.97-40sw

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I like the XDm .40 very reliable ... I mean gun of the year 2009!!!
    :+1:The wife loves her XDm 40. I rarely get a chance to shoot it. ZX guns in Goshen probably has the best prices around northern Indiana. I picked up my XD45 Service in Bi-Tone from them a couple years ago for $499. Most important is getting your hands on as many different brands to get something that fits you.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Depending on what you want to spend I'd look at the HKs and Sigs. Maybe used ones would be a better fit but don't rule them out. Might find a good deal.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I have been shooting guns for a few years now and never had the money nor the means to purchase a gun. Now I have a child coming in August and a little bit of cash to spend. I am interested in a compact/full size .40 cal (I've shot the most rounds and accuracy is the best at this caliber). Any suggestions or leads for me in central Indiana? Thank you.

How much is "a little bit of cash"? This will be a large determining factor as to what you get.

Depending on your price-range, I think you'll find most everyone will agree you wouldn't be disappointed with any of the three guns listed below:

1) Glock 23/27
    2) XD 40/40SC
    or at the higher price-point (unless you can find a good used deal)
    3) Sig p229 in .40

Granted my experience is minimal, but I was in your same boat not too long ago and after a whole bunch of research (except in 9mm), those are the results I came to.

mrussel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010

One thing to consider is how much you want to spend. Im a big fan of the Browning Hi-Power but they are priced rather high now. I bought one years ago for 400 and it was one of the cheapest of the decent guns in the store,but Im told they have become very popular now. Of course they jacked up the price. I havent seen a new one for less than 900. Worth it though. I plan on buying another some time later this year. Another favorite is the 1911. You can get them ranging from cheap to expensive. On the cheap end,the RIA ones are a good value. The plain vanillia GI model goes for 389 and the Tactical model with upgraded sights and lots of other goodies goes for 450. I have the Tactical and I really like it. Im not kidding myself and pretending thats its as good as a Wilson Combat but its not a peice of junk like the cheap pot metal guns. Its not going to be the same as a 1000 or 2000 dollar one of course,but its suprisingly good and their customer service is very good. Most everyone Ive spoken to who also has one really likes it. Essentially,you can spend anywhere from 400 to 4000 dollars or more on a 1911 depending on the quality and level of customization that you want.

Im not a big fan of Glocks myself. Its not that they are not good guns,Im told they are great and I have known people who swear by them. Its just that it feels like Im holding a pack of cigarettes in my hand. If you like the Glock,Id say go for it. So long as you like the feel in your hand,I dont think you can go wrong with one.

NolanKeith

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    I am pretty set on the M & P .40. It just feels right and I'm a lefty shooter so the ambidextrous features are nice rather than the g23..sorry glock fans. S&W also is USA made which makes me feel all warm and tingly. Thanks for all your help INGOers!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom