• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SINK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Hi,

I am looking at buying my first AR. Anyone have any suggestions on where to go to buy one for a good value? I am not looking for a top end AR just a good shooter.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    If i was you, I would look into buying a Rock River, Armalite, Bushmaster, or Olympic Arms. None of these are top end, but all will be a good shooter.

Whatever that means....

What is top end? just curious

cedarhillfarms11

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Martinsville
    Higher end depends on who you talk to. Colts & Bushmasters are at the top of my list. It's a personal deal.... once you start looking into things a little deeper- you'll find that many companies are owned by parent companies and a lot of these firearms are made to the same specs. A lot of the problems that you have with these rifles are due to dirty weapons or cheap magazines.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    throw out some budget ideas and you'll get a better response. it really depends on how much you want to spend, just like Sloughfoot said, "top end" is a relative term.

I just bought a LMT CQB MRP (because I love acronyms) and I love it! Share your price range for best response.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Spikes Tactical ST-15LE. Google it. Best value mil-spec M4 on the market right now.

Profire Arms (INGO Advertiser) has the best prices on them.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    It depends on how much you have to spend. You've had good options thrown at you just now for the $800 mark. Keep in mind it's your first. You will then suffer the black rifle syndrome and buddy trust me, it won't be your last

SINK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    I am looking the spend less then $800. I would prefer to buy used to keep the price down.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I am looking the spend less then $800. I would prefer to buy used to keep the price down.

The Spikes I mentioned above (again :D) is being sold by Profire Arms for about $800, including tax and transfer.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    The only thing with buying a used AR, is someone could have run the s**t out it, got the barrel too hot too many times, built their own "franken" gun, ran steel cased ammo etc. etc. etc. I only buy used AR's from my buddies whom I know are as anal about their weapons as I am. I don't want to start a "steel" vs. "brass" debate. But I don't run steel cased ammo out of my AR's, if you do it enough you will break your extractor. It's like buying a used "hot rod". Some people abuse their stuff, and then sell it, when they find out they shouldn't have been doing that.

Last edited:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I don't want to start a "steel" vs. "brass" debate. But I don't run steel cased ammo out of my AR's, if you do it enough you will break your extractor.

*shrug* AR extractors are only like 15 bucks.

The amount of money that can be saved by shooting steel cased ammunition instead of brass cased ammunition for recreational or training purposes far outweighs any potential for increased wear & tear on a 15 dollar part IMHO.

SINK

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Hi,

I think I have narrowed it down to either the Olympic Arms or the Spikes AR. Bradis has had a pretty good deal going on the OA model. Does anyone have any pros are cons to either MFG? I am still learning about ARs and realitivly green with them but to me these seem to both be good choices for quality and value. Just curious to see what everyone else thinks.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I think I have narrowed it down to either the Olympic Arms or the Spikes AR.

In my personal opinion you can't even compare the two (in terms of an M4-style AR-15).

To get a better idea of the "good" and "bad" of AR parts, you may find this link very helpful: So you want to buy an AR-15, huh?

FWIW, the Spikes has most of those more-desirable "mil-spec" parts.

And since you're looking specifically at M4-style carbines, here is the famous "chart". For comparison sake, the Spikes carbine would most likely compare to the "Colt 6920" column, and you can see the Olympic column to the far right.

070810-ar-chart.jpg

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Hi,

I think I have narrowed it down to either the Olympic Arms or the Spikes AR. Bradis has had a pretty good deal going on the OA model. Does anyone have any pros are cons to either MFG? I am still learning about ARs and realitivly green with them but to me these seem to both be good choices for quality and value. Just curious to see what everyone else thinks.

olympic has a long reputation of putting out crap and having dreadful customer service. some say that was a long time ago and they are better now, but why risk it?

and as you have found out, for the same or just a bit more money, you can get a better rifle. and better or top end is not really relative. the spikes will use better quality components than an Olympic.

personally i suggest saving a bit more and getting the Colt 6920. Why not get the rifle that is built to the TDP of the m4 (minus the FCG and extra 1.5 inches on the barrel)? Drink the Colt Kool-Aid. It's delicious and refreshing. ;)

Top Bottom