• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Buy a kimber and a good holster...Done. I was shopping s'fields for my first 1911. Nice guns. I bought a gently used custom ii and LOVE it!!. Good luck and enjoy whatever ya get!!

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    well i gota b honest and say i am willing to spend up to that much, because something like this is a get what you pay for type thing, but because i am the bread winner in my household, then i am probably going to have to do the, (dont say it), layaway thing. so just dishing out 900-1100 in one lump sum is not really something i can do. but paying that much for a qaulity 1911 is not an issue if i can do it over time. I hope that doesnt change they way u feel about me.....LOL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2011
    carmel
    Upgrades are something I would look into after you shoot the pistol and you find out you dont like a certain stock part. Upgrading your pistol is not something i would look into(not cost effective) unless you are changing only a few parts you can fit yourself, the pistol is sentimental to you, or you're trying to gain experience on working on that type of gun.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Sigs and S&W have good reps.. Like I have said before, if I were spending that much money I would lean toward a Kimber if you can find one and I'm sure you could on GB. Like the one below.
    Kimber Custom II 45Acp 45 Acp : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com
    Or better yet Kimber Custom II Target 45cal. STS 45 : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]
    You can pick up a Kimber Custom for around $800. I've got one series 1 and a custom 2. Both shoot great and both have been 100% dependable and as accurate as you could ever ask for.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Ive bought most of my guns on layaway. No shame in it that I see. Delaying gratification makes the reward that much sweeter.

Bradis has a good layaway program and will go out to 60 days and if you have been consistant but just cant make it in the 60 days then they will work it out with you and get you set up on a payment plan you can afford.

PM Shooter521 and ask him about the details of thier layaway program.

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    agreed, thats why i buy all my firearms from bradis. great customer service and the prices are pretty compettive if not better in most cases around here.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I understand perfectly the desire to own a 1911 when money is tight. Mine is nearly
    100 years old and shot like it when I got it. The trigger was 18+lbs and the barrel looked like a drain pipe
    inside. After a new GI barrel and a trigger job it's one of my favorites.
    I've never gone back for a new one but if I do it will be plain Jane when I get it..

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    Ive got both a Rock Island and a Taurus, both have ran flawlessly in my time with them (2 years with the taurus and 1 month or so with the rock) I generally dont shoot at paper because i think its boring as hell but on occasion I do and both of them shot rather tight groups. when doing my plinking they always hit what I'm aiming at. Taurus will eat any ammo I throw in it out of any mag i throw in it, and I have bought some cheap ones too! every magazine I have also locks the slide back when empty. Havent ran anything but federal fmj throught the rock island yet so cant report on how it likes hollow points.

Either way if you want an affordable 1911 to get you into the platform I dont think you can go wrong with either one, and if you go that route think of all the money you will have for ammo!

Birdman002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    South Bend
    I picked up a Para P14 for about 700 used its picky when it comes to ammo, likes the blazer rounds but its been a really good handgun and its quite accurate as well

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I picked up a Para P14 for about 700 used its picky when it comes to ammo, likes the blazer rounds but its been a really good handgun and its quite accurate as well

My P-12 and the P-14 eat anything we feed them. The ramped barrel in the Para makes it eat hollow points a lot easier than a Colt or other brands that are ramped frames. There may be an issue with a simple fix for your gun.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    well i gota b honest and say i am willing to spend up to that much, because something like this is a get what you pay for type thing, but because i am the bread winner in my household, then i am probably going to have to do the, (dont say it), layaway thing. so just dishing out 900-1100 in one lump sum is not really something i can do. but paying that much for a qaulity 1911 is not an issue if i can do it over time. I hope that doesnt change they way u feel about me.....LOL

Lay away...a way of life for the family man. Take care of business and get the gun out when you can.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a new mag in the mail and i believe that will fix my feed issue.

I have dis-mantled my older mags and stretched the springs a bit. New life after that.
    Hope the mag solves the problem. My P-14 Limited is one of my favorite shooters. 15 rd mag dumps are sweet. Had the trigger worked on and it bump fires with no issues.
    They offer a 20 rd. mag as well. I have 2 and they work.

Top Bottom