• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I have a question for those more experienced on the matter than me.

Is there any risk of damage to the metal or wood finishes from storing guns in "gun socks" with silicone in the fabrics?

I am getting tired of "safe wear" on some of the long guns.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Have stored all of the guns in my safe in these for many years. Treated only, not the cotton ones. Never have had any issues and they protect from bumps and scratches.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    I have a question for those more experienced on the matter than me.

Is there any risk of damage to the metal or wood finishes from storing guns in "gun socks" with silicone in the fabrics?

I am getting tired of "safe wear" on some of the long guns.
    No there is no issues.. you still want to occasionally (for wood give it a old English or similar wipedown) or metal I found ballistol is a great preservative.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Have had good results with Bore Stores. Like TangoFoxtrot says, wipe them down lightly with your protectant of choice (wood and metal) before storage. If not shot, they get the same treatment every six months, not because they need it because it makes me feel like I'm not neglecting the ones that spend a lot of time in the safe

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    I have had one or two that had a trace of oil damage in the stock because I felt the urge to make the sock a bit oily. Some guys will not wipe their guns with oil. I always have. Aside from dents and dings from an overstocked safe (they only really hold about 1/2 the rated amount), a dehumidirod/goldenrod is the best investment I have experienced. Even in humid Indiana it largely prevents the rust.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Silicone is a nasty contaminant when it comes to re-finishing wood. It will penetrate any minor defects in the surface and make it near impossible to get a new finish to adhere. Not a problem for most of us, unless you're planning on re-finishing any of your guns. Myself, it never touches any of my nicer rifles. A clean surface and the rechargeable desiccant thingies keep mine looking real nice.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I use about 50-70 of the socks, never took the time to count them. They are great. Cushiony enough to to protect from character marks and the silicone aids against rust.

I agree with the 6 month treatment. I have gotten to where a simple touch will allow me to recognize the identity of the firearm inside the sock.

Never put a 'dirty' gun in one and you will do fine.

Six packs from Amazon has been, historically, the most affordable way to buy them.

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    Silicone is a nasty contaminant when it comes to re-finishing wood. It will penetrate any minor defects in the surface and make it near impossible to get a new finish to adhere. Not a problem for most of us, unless you're planning on re-finishing any of your guns. Myself, it never touches any of my nicer rifles. A clean surface and the rechargeable desiccant thingies keep mine looking real nice.

I second that emotion.
    I might consider 'em on guns with polyurethane finished woodwork or with polymer furniture, but that's about it.
    They go nowhere near my better shotguns with upscale walnut.
    A little silicone gets in and you end up with a shiny spot that is likely going to be a lifetime feature.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    An alternative.
    I cut worn out sweatpants in two and use each half over long guns in my safe that I don't want to get scratched.
    Costs nothing, and has worked well for many years.

Top Bottom