Firearm retrieval - should I get the police involved?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Is he talking proof of registration with the gun manufacturer or what? There is no firearm registration law. Where is this guy from?

Any way it sounds like you have proof that you tried to resolve this issue and any futrher issue with liability for the firearm is on him since it's in his possession and he refuses to co-operate.

He's from Indiana. I tried explaining that point to him but he refuses to listen to me. I suppose he naturally has to be difficult given the situation, nonetheless I hope the free firearm turns out to be a blessing for their home, I'm a kimber kind of guy anyway ;).

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Text messages (shaking head)

How about a letter by certified mail, keeping a copy?

I use certified mall all the time and I never thought of this. Thank you for the advice, that's very smart. I'll have it notarized and sealed, then I'll send it off ( in order to verify the contents ).

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Can you not speak with her at all? She is the mother of your child after all. Just being nosey,

But the certified letter is a good route too.

I could, however the boyfriend requests that I speak through him, she and I are currently undergoing a custody battle. I respect him as a man, he is in a difficult position and I understand that, I also want to do what makes him comfortable, up to a point.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd write up a contract which, for the conveyance of the packaging, receipt/bill of sale, magazine, and all information needed to execute the manufacturer's recall on the sidearm, the ex-fianceé (and not the new BF) must sign the contract absolving you of all liability for the firearm. Send that certified with your signature on it in your place and wait for them to send back a copy with her signature on it. All dated, of course.

Another option is requiring that it be signed by both of you in the presence of a notary.

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    Dude, if you are in the middle of a custody battle you already have an attorney (if you don't you should) , USE HIM. Then there are no questions at all as to notification, process, etc. no one will be able to claim you didn't perform your due diligence. Have your attorney due everything through HER attorney. No asshat BF, no difficult ex and everything is ON THE RECORD!

Plus you have the benefit of LEGAL ADVICE. Did I mention if you aren't using a attorney you should be.

Problem solved.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I've seen suggestions of Certified Mail, which can be used as proof that a letter arrived at a particular location. Personally, I'd use Registered Mail, Return Receipt Requested, which requires a signature so you can prove WHO received it.

Other than that, spot on good info here. Let the gun go, but ensure that they are aware of the recall. My personal concern would be that the son does not have access to the possibly-defective firearm and that the son DOES have access to firearms-safety training. Eddie Eagle, at a minimum.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Have your attorney in the custody battle put the fact she possesses an unsafe firearm that she refuses to have repaired, put in a filing.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I think there are some good suggestions on dealing with your Ex above, but want to go in another direction.

What recall? I checked their web site and did some web searches and couldn't find any info about a recall on the DB380 or any other Diamondbacks.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Dude, if you are in the middle of a custody battle you already have an attorney (if you don't you should) , USE HIM. Then there are no questions at all as to notification, process, etc. no one will be able to claim you didn't perform your due diligence. Have your attorney due everything through HER attorney. No asshat BF, no difficult ex and everything is ON THE RECORD!

Plus you have the benefit of LEGAL ADVICE. Did I mention if you aren't using a attorney you should be.

Problem solved.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS IS THE BEST ADVICE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rep inbound

Bob

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I'm in the "just give them the box/papers/etc." camp, and if you keep a sort of log book for yourself, note their names and the date in the "sold to" area.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    its a gift like manatee says, move on, and dont be a loser...those guns suck....as soon as you get it back(assuming you could) there will be another recall....just feel good knowing that your ex has a boyfriend who is trusting his life to a piece of crap...you are just gonna look bad to your son if you pursue it...forget it or ask them to give it your son
    Sounds like a gift to me. I don't think you have any legal right to the firearm. Notify them of the recall and move on.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom