Firearm retrieval - should I get the police involved?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I have a bit of a unique situation, I purchased a firearm my ex could use for self defense back in 2010 after we split up ( my son lives with her and I wanted to make sure she could protect herself and my son ). Fast-forward 3 years, I've realized the firearm had been recalled ( Diamondback DB380 first production run ) and I feel it is unsafe.

I want to get the firearm back from her, she has a new boyfriend who is living with her and can provide adequate protection ( Military special forces ). However he is keeping the firearm from me, stating that I need to provide to him a bill of sale and proof of registration.

I have the box, paperwork and receipt ( with serial number listed ) and I know where I purchased it. What rights do I have as a firearm owner with said proofs? Would I have a leg to stand on if I were to file a police report to request the firearm to be placed back in my possession?

Since Indiana doesn't require 'registration' I never went through such process, I am technically the legal owner and I feel the burden of proof ( Bill of Sale ) should be in their hands, not mine.

Thanks for your time.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    File a stolen property report (kinda hard, since you did GIVE it to her) or file in small claims court.

You've already been more than nice, by giving it in the first case and then letting them know of the recall. If they want to play games, let them keep it.

Just my $0.02.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The burden of proof is on the person who wants to change the status quo. Guess who that is.

Sounds like a small claims case to me. Police should not get involved with the change of possession of property without a court order. When you say "ex"- what kind of "ex"?

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Two things here:
    you want the gun back because of the recall because you feel it is unsafe.
    you want the gun back because of new boyfriend and she no longer needs it.

so, you want the gun back to have it fixed, then return it to her, or you just want the gun back?

either way does not matter to me, but pick one route and stick to it.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Sounds like a gift to me. I don't think you have any legal right to the firearm. Notify them of the recall and move on.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    She is my ex fiance.

Honestly I'm not very concerned with the firearm as much as I am with the defective unit in her house with an immediate tie to me. Should I just request they sign a bill of sale in order to 'transfer' liability from me to them?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    She is my ex fiance.

Honestly I'm not very concerned with the firearm as much as I am with the defective unit in her house with an immediate tie to me. Should I just request they sign a bill of sale in order to 'transfer' liability from me to them?

Whatever you do, document that you informed them of the recall.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I wouldn't try to retrieve it, but you certainly could (and perhaps should) require that she sign a bill of sale stating that she is aware of the recall and that you bear no responsibility for injuries or death pursuant to the use of the firearm. If she (or it sounds more likely, he) refuses, then I would consider going to small claims court with the mindset that all you want is legal protection, not the return of the firearm; but you'd take the firearm back if they prove unreasonable to that request.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I wouldn't try to retrieve it, but you certainly could (and perhaps should) require that she sign a bill of sale stating that she is aware of the recall and that you bear no responsibility for injuries or death pursuant to the use of the firearm. If she (or it sounds more likely, he) refuses, then I would consider going to small claims court with the mindset that all you want is legal protection, not the return of the firearm; but you'd take the firearm back if they prove unreasonable to that request.

Great suggestion, I appreciate everyones feedback. I will reach out to her boyfriend and ask if he'd be OK with signing a BoS and assume liability of the firearm.

Squirt239

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    Sounds like a gift to me. I don't think you have any legal right to the firearm. Notify them of the recall and move on.
    ^^^ This. ^^^ You would have a hard time proving it wasn't a gift, now that you've posted it to the interwebs. Write it off as a learning experience. I would however send a registered letter stating that the firearm has been recalled and if they so choose to keep it, they have the burden of getting it fixed. Good luck, and don't sweat the small stuff...ex's are ex's for a reason ;-)

nucular

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I don't understand why you feel you have the responsibility to tell them anything. If you are concerned about their safety that is one thing but you have no obligation to disclose a manufacturer recall to them as a private seller (gifter). If you sold a gun years ago to someone off of Craig's List, would you feel compelled to try and find their number and call them to warn them of a recall? No, they are the owner. That is their responsibility and not your liability.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Give 'em box, ,papers, etc, and recall information. Be done with them. Sounds like the new boyfriend might be wanting to flex a bit of muscle You don't need that crapola

Steell

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 10, 2013
    Eaton
    I don't understand why you feel you have the responsibility to tell them anything. If you are concerned about their safety that is one thing but you have no obligation to disclose a manufacturer recall to them as a private seller (gifter). If you sold a gun years ago to someone off of Craig's List, would you feel compelled to try and find their number and call them to warn them of a recall? No, they are the owner. That is their responsibility and not your liability.

Original post said
    I have a bit of a unique situation, I purchased a firearm my ex could use for self defense back in 2010 after we split up ( my son lives with her and I wanted to make sure she could protect herself and my son )

Are you saying it's not reasonable to want to protect his son?

nucular

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Original post said .

Are you saying it's not reasonable to want to protect his son?

That's why I said "it's one thing if he is concerned about safety" but he makes it sound like he just wants documentation because he is concerned about liability.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    *** Update ***

I reached out to the boyfriend and I offered the Box, Paperwork, Receipt, extra mag and the recall information in exchange for a signed Bill of Sale ( either by her or him, I do not care ). He continues to put up a fight and insists I show him 'proof of registration'.

So at this point, I'm simply saving all of the text conversations, keeping the information I have and hope nothing happens. I do not want to fight over it, I was merely trying to reduce my liability in this situation while also doing my due-diligence of letting them know there is a potentially unsafe weapon under the same roof my son resides.

If something happens I'll make sure I bring this up, thanks for the advice everyone!

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    *** Update ***

I reached out to the boyfriend and I offered the Box, Paperwork, Receipt, extra mag and the recall information in exchange for a signed Bill of Sale ( either by her or him, I do not care ). He continues to put up a fight and insists I show him 'proof of registration'.

So at this point, I'm simply saving all of the text conversations, keeping the information I have and hope nothing happens. I do not want to fight over it, I was merely trying to reduce my liability in this situation while also doing my due-diligence of letting them know there is a potentially unsafe weapon under the same roof my son resides.

If something happens I'll make sure I bring this up, thanks for the advice everyone!
    Is he talking proof of registration with the gun manufacturer or what? There is no firearm registration law. Where is this guy from?

Any way it sounds like you have proof that you tried to resolve this issue and any furher issue with liability for the firearm is on him since it's in his possession and he refuses to co-operate.

Top Bottom