• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    While many many folks use the BLO finish it does not provide the protection that a hand rubbed Tru-Oil.MinWax Antique Oil finish does. Especially if it is subjected to the elements.

But it is your gun.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    While many many folks use the BLO finish it does not provide the protection that a hand rubbed Tru-Oil.MinWax Antique Oil finish does. Especially if it is subjected to the elements.

But it is your gun.

I have to say the Tru-Oil Birchwood Casey kits leave a lot to be desired in wood stocks I've seen. Plus, BLO or at least regular linseed oil has been used for centuries. Millions of firearm stocks can't be wrong :dunno:

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I have to say the Tru-Oil Birchwood Casey kits leave a lot to be desired in wood stocks I've seen. Plus, BLO or at least regular linseed oil has been used for centuries. Millions of firearm stocks can't be wrong :dunno:

I hear you. Progress and advancements in the finishing industry are of no consequence. Just the fact something has been used for years makes it the best is ridiculous. Using that logic we all should still be driving horse and buggies, and oil lamps, and matchlocks.

Problems with Tru-Oil are from owners applying WAY to much product at a time. The same holds true with the MinWax Antique Oil Finish.

Millions of firearm stocks using the old tech finish of BLO would welcome a finish that actually protects the wood underneath the finish. BLO IS NOT A WATERPROOF FINISH.

To apply a regular linseed oil finish would be truly a folly.

Question? Just what experience do you have in wood finishing.
    I worked for years for a wood shop making comerical furniture. Then owned my own business for 20 years making and finishing hardwood furniture and crafts till my retirement.

If you wish to use it, go for it, and buy extra, you will need it for future applications.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I hear you. Progress and advancements in the finishing industry are of no consequence. Just the fact something has been used for years makes it the best is ridiculous. Using that logic we all should still be driving horse and buggies, and oil lamps, and matchlocks.

Problems with Tru-Oil are from owners applying WAY to much product at a time. The same holds true with the MinWax Antique Oil Finish.

Millions of firearm stocks using the old tech finish of BLO would welcome a finish that actually protects the wood underneath the finish. BLO IS NOT A WATERPROOF FINISH.

To apply a regular linseed oil finish would be truly a folly.

Question? Just what experience do you have in wood finishing.
    I worked for years for a wood shop making comerical furniture. Then owned my own business for 20 years making and finishing hardwood furniture and crafts till my retirement.

If you wish to use it, go for it, and buy extra, you will need it for future applications.

Want to learn about stock finishing? For your reading pleasure.
    BTW I didn't write any of this.

Woodstocks Amazin' Stock Finish & photos - RimfireCentral.com Forums

I'm looking into it, thanks.

Deucemizer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    Probably a little late now, but to save sanding time and to keep the stock level with the receiver on rifles where it makes a difference (like most lever guns), I spray the stock down with a can of carburetor cleaner. The old finish melts and can be wiped right off, and the wood is left unharmed.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    The color went from a sanded golden/white wood color to a vibrant Finnish color and pattern :yesway:

I will apply a few more coats of BLO this week and see where we are in the coloring process. I chose BLO because it's what the Finnish used for one, two it won't be a beater gun mostly a safe queen/range gun, and three a yearly application isn't hard to keep up on. It took about twenty - thirty minutes to apply a coat.

Top Bottom