• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    what the movie coming out has to do with the book?

After reading (/loving) the book and seeing a preview of the movie, the only similarities I see are that the titles are the same and the movie may also be about zombies (?).

I'm going to watch it, but probably not until it hits Blu Ray. My expectations are extremely low, but that sometimes makes for a good movie. When they are this low, the movie can only exceed them, right?

Darkstar

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Jackson County
    World War Z was a great novel; I have both it and the Zombie survival guide on my bookshelf, even bought a copy of WWZ for the middle school I student taught at. Max says WWZ was inspired by Studs Terkel's "The Good War," so that is why they read so similarly. Max did a fantastic job when writing both books and I think it's his attention to details that made it feel real like using real world references, experts, and statistics.

The movie on the other hand, I am not sure. Max didn't have very much to do with the screenplay because he felt he wasn't accomplished enough to do it right. Still, he said it was amazing after reading a final draft, so who know?

I'm all about the zombie genre and have been since I saw Romero's Night of the Living Dead when I was 7 or 8. I am always willing to give a new zombie movie a chance and hopefully this one will live up to the reputation of the book.

Just my :twocents:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm all about the zombie genre and have been since I saw Romero's Night of the Living Dead when I was 7 or 8.

That's awesome.:):

I get tired of hearing about people blaming violence in movies/video games for messed up kids who cause violence.

I watched silence of the lambs when I was right around that same age. It could possibly have something to do with my infatuation on serial killers, but I just like learning about them, not emulating them.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    It would have had to have been a series, but with "The Walking Dead" out there and a real money maker, maybe the money folks didn't want to risk "over saturating the market."

I could see the book translating well into a five year series but that's just my opinion.

Very true, i could also see that working out pretty well. As a matter of fact, i would much rather they done that.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I thought the book was excellent but it did take me 50 or 60 pages to get into it. Getting to that point was hard for both me and my son, but once we did we flew through the rest.

I want to see the movie for the zombie factor but not expecting it to follow the book. I don't know how you could follow that book in a 2 hour movie.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Try reading "I, Robot". You'll wonder the same thing about that Will Smith pile of garbage.

I read all of the I robot series. There were more than a few based on the story line.
    Hollywood has made a few stabs at remakes like the one with Robin Williams as the Robot and the Will Smith pile of crap.

I will wait on the public release of "Z" and view it in my own time on the flat screen and surround.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Book wasn't great, but it was entertaining.

Usain Bolt-fast zombies **** me off however; that goes directly against Brooks' "zombieverse" which was pretty specific about how slow 'Zack' was.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Max Brooks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Max Brooks was born in New York City, the son of director, producer, writer, and actor Mel Brooks and actress Anne Bancroft.

Hmmmm. That may explain why part of the Zombie War came across "Like an ol' number 6.":D

Whoops. Had a link to youtube of the "ol number 6" scene but forgot about how un pc Max's daddy was.....Edited for taste.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I thought the book was excellent but it did take me 50 or 60 pages to get into it. Getting to that point was hard for both me and my son, but once we did we flew through the rest.

I want to see the movie for the zombie factor but not expecting it to follow the book. I don't know how you could follow that book in a 2 hour movie.

Therein lies the problem with a lot of books turned into movies.

Probably the best adaptation of book to movie I've seen yet was Bravo's The Count of Monte Cristo. It was a 4 episode miniseries.

Shogun was well-done, too. It was also a miniseries.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    If you haven't heard the audio book yet get it. It's read by a full cast with Max doing the voice of the interviewer. One of the rare audio books that has a full cast reading. It really adds to the story, much more than just reading it. Just a few of them are: Alan Alda, Mark Hamill, Carl & Rob Reiner, and John Turturro. There is a new expanded release that has 5 extra hours out as well featuring: Simon Pegg, Henry Rollins, Nathan Fillion, Denise Crosby, Martin Scorsese and Jeri Ryan. I don't have the new one yet but will soon.

Top Bottom