• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    I have used the CCI shotshells to hunt bullfrogs with my single six. Got to sneak in close and you don't have to worry about the bullet ricocheting off the water. Great way to get a mess of frog legs.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Our range has a lot of sand and as a result the cicada Killer wasps nest all over the range. While these wasps are pretty harmless to humans they are large and their buzzing is distracting. I use a Remington 572 smoothbore and the crimped shotshells to shot them on the wing...fun practice for quail.

572.jpg

ZapSnap_964.png

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I have never had any luck running these CCI rounds through any semi auto. I always end up with a failure to feed after every round. Anyone else have this problem?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I just use an old tennis racket for carpenter bees.

(BTW the ones you see hovering around are harmless and just guarding the nest. Make a real pretty "thunk" when you hit them)

Harmless is relative! I'm not worried about getting bitten or stung (and they can BITE! considering their mandibles are set for chewing holes in wood), though I have been nailed by them when I've worked in trees. I don't like the structural damage they cause. They make a 3/4" hole 1 inch in and 3-5 inches laterally in wood. It doesn't take too many of them to make a 2x4 weak as lathe.

I've heard the racket bit for nailing them, but I never have one close at hand. I normally use a phone book which is what sits next to the door at the shop. In the case of my OP, they were 20+' up in the tree :) I also get them up under the eaves of the house, though I'm more sanguine about them since the structural members they are in are superfluous.

Coolest aerial dogfight I've ever witnessed was between a carpenter bee and a paper wasp. It was like watching a jet fighter and big old helicopter. Wasp won, but it took some time. I was surprised not to see a mini explosion when the carpenter bee hit the ground after beng nailed.

Top Bottom