• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    David & Malern how do you like your SP101? Does it have much recoil? I held a couple of these today at the gun show and really liked them. I have a full size 357 already but was thinking about a SP101 to carry. Your insight would be very much appreciated.

My wife shot mine 1 time and wont even touch it anymore. I am not recoil sensitive so I am not a good person to ask. I think the SP101 has very mild recoil with 158 grain .357 loads.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I love My LCR, LC9, P345, and SR-556 all equally, you cant make me choose my favorite adopted Ruger child.

Id love to have an SP101 for a truck gun. I will probably look for a good used one.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Don't recall ever having a Ruger I didn't like.

If I had to pick one, it would be tough. I would say between one of the RedHawks or Security Six. I probably shoot the Mark II's more than anything though.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    My favorite gun, of my long guns that is, is my simple 10/22 with a 4x32 Prostaff. I put more rounds down that barrel than any other gun I use. The shear enjoyment of shooting there.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Don't recall ever having a Ruger I didn't like.

If I had to pick one, it would be tough. I would say between one of the RedHawks or Security Six. I probably shoot the Mark II's more than anything though.
    XtremeVel, you and I were in the Marines the same years. Semper Fi.:rockwoot:

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    currently drooling over getting a SR1911, but for now my favorite it is my hawkeye all-weather in .30-06 w/ Hogue overmolded stock. shoots well, but i think at some point i might upgrade her with a lilja bull/heavy barrel

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    If you are going to carry a revolver I think it would be a good choice. I don't think the recoil is too bad, recoil is very subjective though. Mine has a Hogue grip on it which fits my hand very well, and is much more comfortable than the original, which I am sure has something to do with it. Also, if the recoil of a .357 gets uncomfortable, you can practice with 38s or even 38+p.

What else do you shoot that I might be able to compare the recoil to?

S&W 380 Bodyguard. It's ok but it bites a little. Featherweight Taurus 38 Special. Hate it. My 357 is a Taurus model 669, it has less recoil than the other two. Probably because it is heavier. I liked the SP101 because it felt solid. I definitely like the longer grips.

I've also shot my son's Mosin Nagant.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I didn't even know I owned a Ruger, but I found this one hiding way in the back of the safe, so I guess it is my favorite.

EE5FC596-orig.jpg

Top Bottom