• ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I've been pondering how to answer the posted question for several days. As usual, my reply is a bit long-winded. Favorite manufacturer obviously encompasses a broader answer than would favorite gun. Favorite gun is easy: the one I am shooting at the moment.

I have a lot of favorite manufacturers, for a lot of different reasons. For out-of-the-box shootability and reliability, I've got a tie on my hand: Sig-Sauer and Glock. The versions of each that I've owned/borrowed/rented were a pleasure to handle and shoot. For customer service, I have to go with Kahr. They sent me a replacement gun before they even got the 'problem' gun back. They knew from my detailed description of the problem that the gun was defective. They replaced it; no questions asked, no hemming and hawing, no excuses. Perhaps that CM9 should have never left the factory. Point is it did; and Kahr stood behind it. I am about 1000 rounds into my CM9 and no problems. Charter Arms gets honorable mention. They fixed my Off Duty with a minimum of hassle. I was without it for 11 days. It has worked flawlessly since I got it back.

Favorite long-term carry gun? Wait for it... ... ... Keltec. My P32 is right at 30 years old, has been carried more often than any other gun I have ever owned. I shoot it exclusively with Fiocchi 73gr FMJ. I average 1 box of 50 rounds, and 1 cleaning per year. After 1500 rounds it still launches those rounds with total and complete reliability. Speaking of reliability, the two original magazines have been fully loaded for that entire 30 years. The only time I empty them is at my once a year shoot. Given that track record, the second set should last me well into my 90s.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    If I had to go to one it would be Staccato , the CS to carry and a P for HD use, the only thing they don’t make that I would want pistol wise would be a 22lr option. 1911/2011s just fit my hand and shoot them the best.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    For auto pistols S&W M&P and Sig 220,228/9 and 226 both 9mm and 45
    I was issued an Sig for LE and have carried one for over 30 years. S&W M&P I shot just as good as the Sigs right from the first 50 rounds

Revolvers S&W because I started my career on them with the USAF and everytime I pick one up it’s an extension of my hand.

Beretta M9 honerable
    Mention

Rifles Marlin Lever actions

Shotgun Rem 870 because I have ran tjem For 37 years both less lethal and normal. (I have actually engaged a couple folks with fin stabilizer rounds in my career with an 870)

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I am all in, if it comes from Beretta or Bernadelli.

Bernadelli? Who is THAT?!?!?!

More Properly they were V.Bernadelli aka Vincenzo Bernardelli.

In many ways they were a twin to Beretta, almost as old (back to 1631).. they were a literal stones throw across the tiny valley Beretta is in. They were as popular as Beretta in Europe, but largely neglected the US market.. which probably did them in.

Sadly they sold out to the turks in 1997 and nothing remains...

1718734703510.png

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I don't think I have a favorite. I never understood this line of thinking. I have more S&W firearms than any others, by a long shot. That's because over half of my handguns are revolvers. My revolvers are not all S&W either, some are Rugers. It depends on the use of the gun. When I buy a gun, it is usually to serve a purpose.

The past several years, my buddies and I have been shooting a lot of rimfire rifles at 50 to 200 yards. I did not think of S&W. I got a couple Anschutz and a CZ because they make great (and accurate) rifles.

I look at the purpose mostly and then decided on caliber, capacity, and other features desirable for that aspect of the sport. Anyway, that's how I look at it.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I don’t have a true favorite but if I had to absolutely pick it would be Colt. They make, or at least made, some great Rifles and pistols and I have my fair share of both. The LW Commander and Gold Cup being my favorites as well as the pre ban AR15 series of rifles.
    Second pick in pistols would be CZ and Dan Wesson. The DW 1911 line are some fine pistols and The original CZ75, P01, P07, P09 are all really well built and accurate weapons.
    For revolvers I’d pick Pre Lock S&W for sure.
    Mostest favorite handgun of all time is the HK P7. What a magnificent piece of engineering and quality they are. Glad I got mine before the prices skyrocketed! Great guns that will serve you for decades.
    CZ is probably my pick in Rimfire rifle as well. Very nice quality guns and are extremely accurate.
    Ruger 77 Tang safety rifles are my favorite centerfire rifles. To me they’re the classic wood and metal quality built sporting rifle.
    For shotguns it’s hard to beat an 870 pump gun. Versatile and durable.
    I could talk about P series Sigs, Ruger MKII pistols, Walther PPK and many others but I’ve already rambled on long enough. These are some of my favorites.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Rifles....Ruger #1......look good but can be annoying ( kinda like a size 1 redhead ) LOL

Handguns....Browning High Power is my fave 9mm.
    But am content to tote an HK

Revolvers....Smiths, prelock 629 actually.

Favorite .22 proly my old High Standard Sharpshooter, alas I need an optic for fine work anymore. Would like to try a Hammerli next.

Shotguns....870 proly, had over a dozen. Lots of critters went into my freezer due to Remingtons.
    Fave there is a Special Field 20 ga. Trying to find another one.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Nobody has made anything I have found to be perfect. Everything Ive had had something wrong.
    Be it sights or triggers or ? Something needed tweaked to make it better.

Bet there are some things that may not need changes.....doubt I could afford them.

Thankfully Im adaptable to a degree.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Loved my Series 90.Commander, but Colt does stupid stuff w their sights. Was kinda like a Novak, but wasnt. Tolerated it for 20 yrs LOL, finally said enough. Tiny aesthetic issue that finally was too much. But then, that opened room for a new gov model 10mm of some sort. Maybe a DW

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    629-3 6" and a 648 6", best revolvers Ive had.
    Ruger while decent, has always had some level of disappointment. Maybe bleed off from fighting their #1 rifle quarter rib scope issues LOL.

Rugers are kinda sloppy in fit. Had to rework new grips for my old 3 screw.

Top Bottom