• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    FP10 for lube or a quick wipe down, Breakfree CLP same thing or minor cleaning, but when they need cleaned...Remington Bore Cleaner. Ive tried lots of others, but none do what those 3 will, at least not for me. And none of them make the wife mad with the smell.
    Always loved the smell of Hoppes, but it just doesnt work as well as other stuff. I do still have a couple jars of it, and use it once in a while just for a bit of reminiscing....lol.
    And the others are readily available.

Always wanted to try that Weapon Shield, but Id have to order it, which just adds to the cost.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've started using Lucas, it's heavier than most others. I also use Breakfree. Kroil is good for many things, but I learned the hard way not to use it as a rust preventative. Does it add some level of protection, yes, for a while. But, there are better things out there. Also, you can't use it around any screws that you don't want to work loose, because it is a penetrating oil and it does it's job extremely well. It took me a while to figure out why my gun screws kept working loose! Kroil, it works.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I use Slip 2000 on my AR15, since I believe it is slipperier and stays wet longer than any others.

I use Breakfree CLP on most everything else. If I could use only one, it would be this.

I use Eezox on some older guns, since I believe it is best at preventing rust.

I absolutey hate Remoil. It will be bone dry the day after lubing, and I don't trust Teflon. I want to feel a smooth glide, not a dry rub.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    It's not surprising that Rem Oil dried up, since I mentioned it will do that withot heat, not sure if it is supposed to be quit so dry. It leaves a dry Teflon coating behind to protect the metal. Apparently the Teflon is supposed to work as well or better than real lubrication, but I don't buy it. However, if the environment caled for a dry lube, then Teflon would be superior to a wet oil.

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    After watching the video, I thought of something I hadnt when I posted earlier.

Beware using ATF, for the same reasons as Kroil mentioned above. ATF and Acetone is one of the best penetrating oils you can get your hands on. Now the Acetone aids in the penetrating so its not nearly as effective without it, but getting it near your fasteners that arent loc-tited might cause issues eventually with them working loose.

I still cant bring myself to use motor oil, and the reason is, I used to use it to wipe tools down and they would always rust and have to be cleaned after a few weeks. I was told if I had to use motor oil, use something non-detergent, or a gun oil to protect non-chrome finished tools. Its worked since...so for me, engine oil goes in engines, gun oil goes in guns.

BTW, I know a guy who uses WD40, and only WD40 to wipe down his guns. I asked why, and like most of us, thats what his Dad and Granddad used and their guns still look new....

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I've started using Lucas, it's heavier than most others. I also use Breakfree. Kroil is good for many things, but I learned the hard way not to use it as a rust preventative. Does it add some level of protection, yes, for a while. But, there are better things out there. Also, you can't use it around any screws that you don't want to work loose, because it is a penetrating oil and it does it's job extremely well. It took me a while to figure out why my gun screws kept working loose! Kroil, it works.

Yep... I only use Kroil when I clean my bore (it works great), then after a dry patch I relub with 3-in-1 oil. I use 3-in-1 oil for everything else.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    lithium wheel bearing grease on my AR ($10 buys you a lifetime supply)

Generally nothing on my Glock unless I'm doing several thousand rounds in a few days without cleaning it.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    CLP, force of habit from my military days. Works great for me and Uncle Sam probally spent a couple millon in testing that it was a good all round product. I have a can of Remington spray when I get lazy and want a quick rustproof coating.
    ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ WORKS for ME, and I use it on ALL my guns ....

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I use gunzilla. I used to use CLP because it was issued, but now all my CLP bottles are full of gunzilla. A friend brought some out to a range once and we put it on prior to going through a bunch of ammo, and the gun wiped clean with a towel afterwards. There was almost 0 carbon build up. We used it again prior to putting a bunch of blanks through our guns and again they wiped clean afterwards. Great stuff.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    FREE SAMPLES?!?!?! Gotta get me some of that, I love free, especially when it has the possibility of being good stuff! LOL!

Yep, just go to the website and use the Contact Us link and they will send you a sample in a needletip applicator. The I got was 1oz. First gun oil I have used that I could both feel and hear a difference after using.

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    Yep, just go to the website and use the Contact Us link and they will send you a sample in a needletip applicator. The I got was 1oz. First gun oil I have used that I could both feel and hear a difference after using.

Already done. Looking forward to giving it a try, I hear lots of good things about it!

Top Bottom