• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Ok guys, lets share knowledge. Some of us (like myself) mainly only focus on one type of fishing, so if I decided to fish for something else, I don't always know what to use unless I see others around catching fish. Soooo...

What's your favorite lure, and for what fish?

Keystone Renosky 1/16" Perch minnow here.
    KJM116-P.jpg

Mainly catches crappie, and bluegill, perch, redear, whatever. Also small bass and the occasional mud cat. Keeps things interesting because I've caught crappie in the 3-4" range on it, so almost anything is big enough to take it. This is the lure me and my dad NEVER go without. (He even buys them by the CASE) Fished with an ultralight 5' or 5'6" rod, 4 lb. test, medium fast retrieve, sometimes an occasional twitch. The older versions used a gold Aberdeen hook that could usually be strightened if you were hung up, and you didn't lose your lure, the newer ones use a slightly longer, thicker hook that I'm not as crazy about...

I don't bass fish much, looking to do more of it, but for them, always had the best luck with plastic worms, 5-6", texas rigged, dark colors...

Biggest one was on this 5" YUM dinger
    YD_59.jpg

So what are you guys using?

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I think the company is no longer making these--at least under the same design/name, but the Mister Twister curly-tailed grub (with spinner) has always worked for me. I un-rig and re-rig the curly tail to curl up instead of down, as I think the fish go after the tail and get the hook that way. I love to use this on an ultralight pole and 4# line. I've caught bluegill, largemouth bass (one over 6 pounds), smallmouth bass...and my cousin has caught a channel catfish on one of these too. I haven't tried this "up north" for pike or muskies, et cetera, but I'd think it would work on them as well.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    My "go-to" bait is a 3 1/2 inch watermelon with purple flake tube. I always use a rattle in it. I've caught many fish on this setup. My next is a green pumpkin/watermelon laminate Senko.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I think the company is no longer making these--at least under the same design/name, but the Mister Twister curly-tailed grub (with spinner) has always worked for me. I un-rig and re-rig the curly tail to curl up instead of down, as I think the fish go after the tail and get the hook that way. I love to use this on an ultralight pole and 4# line. I've caught bluegill, largemouth bass (one over 6 pounds), smallmouth bass...and my cousin has caught a channel catfish on one of these too. I haven't tried this "up north" for pike or muskies, et cetera, but I'd think it would work on them as well.

Looks like they are!
    Soft Plastic Lures - Buy Fishing Lures and Accessories | Mister Twister

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    My hot bait for bass right now are weightless texas rigged white Senkos or Flukes. I twitch them in grass beds.

I also throw a lot of spinnerbaits and when I slow down I throw jigs/craw.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Shad Rap, SR-5 size in silver (minnow) -catches everything that swims anywhere I go. It is the one lure that consistently catches more fish than any other lure or color, including most other sr-5's in different finishes.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    My hot bait for bass right now are weightless texas rigged white Senkos or Flukes. I twitch them in grass beds.

I also throw a lot of spinnerbaits and when I slow down I throw jigs/craw.
    :yesway: Senko, fluke, weightless...I also like the yum dinger and especially the Tiki stick.

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Depends on what you are fishing for and where & when you are fishing.

River small mouth I love cranks and tiny torpedo
    Lake large mouth texas rigged worms and pop-r followed by cranks
    BIG cats - cut bait, live fish
    Eater cats - cut bait, worms, chicken livers
    bluegill/redear/perch - small jigs, worms & bee moths
    crapie - bass minnows, small jigs or small cranks

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Hard to beat Pumpkin seed colored soft plastics,Early morning and late evenings, I love throwing a Chrome and Black Pop- R,Rocky shelfs I've had good luck with Smoked purple lizards or black with blue tails. Bass of course. Zora Spooks are fun too.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    They've changed their designs--the grubs I stockpiled :D decades ago had a single curl in the tail, and came with the grub mounted on the jig head so the tail was down (hook up)... that's why I always changed the mounting so the tail was also up--I noticed a lot fewer missed fish that way. I have caught bluegill as small as 2-3 inches all the way up to bass you have to fight "all day" just to get them landed on those little darlings!

Thanks for the website though!!! Much appreciated!

Top Bottom