Farmers -- What would it take to get permission to hunt on your property?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    Years ago ago dad and I made these: (sorry about the crappy example):

We'd hand one immediately to each land owner and let him glance at it while we introduced ourselves. Often times with the extra room on the card back we would write our TX number or license plate numbers and vehicle descriptions if granted permission to hunt.

It was just something enough different that it made an impression and worked in our favor several times. Cheap, easy and a good reassurance piece for the land owner to have so that he felt if things went south he knew where you lived and how to contact you, etc.

I've never seen anyone else do this type of thing in all my years. I'm sure there is - but it's rare enough that I've never run across another. Something to think about...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I'm sorry if I misinterpreted your post but you made multiple references to having a strong back and not complaining which is probably what threw me off. Is it monetary reimbursement you want for permission or cheap labor or both? To me it sounds more like a business deal and if that's the case then both sides should know up front what is wanted and/or expected. I assume you feel the same way when you buy equipment for your acreage.

I'm not trying to be difficult but the last conversation I had here with a land owner was an absolute waste of time. All he did was talk in riddles which just led to unpleasant feelings for both parties. I'm not asking you for permission to hunt your land because I feel the only right way to do that is face to face. I'm just asking what the parameters are to work within.

Honestly, if you are having to ask this sort of thing in this manner then it's a good possibility that it's your approach and attitude. I'm not saying this to bust your chops, you may not even be aware of how you come across, and that may be poisoning your chances with landowners. I don't ask people to hunt their land because I have lots of land of my own and don't need it, but I do approach lots of landowners for permission to access caves on their properties and most of the time get welcomed. The last person who approached me to hunt my property acted if I was just an ignorant yokel and talked down to me. Something I played up because he was being such an obnoxious jerk about it. Someone who is willing to act as if they understand they are asking me for a favor and are willing to behave like a proper guest will go much further. Offering to help out with chores without being asked is a good faith gesture in that direction. Not required but certainly an insight into a person's character.

RMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    McCordsville
    Honestly, if you are having to ask this sort of thing in this manner then it's a good possibility that it's your approach and attitude. I'm not saying this to bust your chops, you may not even be aware of how you come across, and that may be poisoning your chances with landowners. I don't ask people to hunt their land because I have lots of land of my own and don't need it, but I do approach lots of landowners for permission to access caves on their properties and most of the time get welcomed. The last person who approached me to hunt my property acted if I was just an ignorant yokel and talked down to me. Something I played up because he was being such an obnoxious jerk about it. Someone who is willing to act as if they understand they are asking me for a favor and are willing to behave like a proper guest will go much further. Offering to help out with chores without being asked is a good faith gesture in that direction. Not required but certainly an insight into a person's character.

I seldom get turned down when I ask permission so I think my approach is just fine. There is normally some degree of trading, helping, story telling, etc involved between the time I seek permission and the actual hunt. Usually, this occurs over a few months instead of the day I want to hunt. It develops a sense of trust and even more important, friendship that should never be violated. A token of appreciation after the hunt is just a common courtesy and so is continuing the relationship. A lot of folks don't like venison so what I give can differ according to the person's likes and dislikes.

It's the people flaunting the idea that they have a lot of land and everyone should bow down and kiss their ring that I can live without. Respect has to work in both directions otherwise the whole ordeal is shallow and meaningless.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    We'd hand one immediately to each land owner and let him glance at it while we introduced ourselves.

That's a great idea....

"Hello...Is it okay if my younger cousin and I hunt your property? She only hunts with me when the weather is nice..."

"As long as you can promise she will hunt with you at least once a year...Absolutely...:)

28f0ce33616a669202c9142871f67a2a.jpg

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It's the people flaunting the idea that they have a lot of land and everyone should bow down and kiss their ring that I can live without. Respect has to work in both directions otherwise the whole ordeal is shallow and meaningless.

I would be perfectly happy if strangers never asked for access to my property. So explain to me exactly the benefit to me? I don't expect anyone to bow down and kiss my feet, but if you're (the rhetorical you) asking me for a favor that doesn't benefit me and approach with a sense of entitlement or condescension, then why should I bother? As far as "flaunting," I've worked hard for my land and given up a lot of things to have it and live on it, so damn right I'm proud of it.

Regardless, on one hand you ***** about landowners wasting your time and in the next post talk about how you have no problems getting access to land, so I don't know what your issue is, but I'm done discussing it with you because clearly I can't tell you anything and wouldn't want to waste your time.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    We farm, and I deer hunt, so we didn't allow deer hunting. At one point we allowed coon hunters, until one hunter decided to cut our fence so his dog could get through, then cut it again 75 yds down the field so his dog could get out. It sucks that one person can ruin it for everyone, but thats what has happened. Many farmers in our area wont allow hunting for the same type thing. A lot of times its from someone driving in the field when its to wet. Most folks that didn't grow up on a farm think its dry enough when it is not.

Long story short, most farmers I know and live near will not allow hunters unless they have known you since a young age. Right, wrong, or indiffrent, farmers usually work hard for, and on their land, and its been my experience if you allow hunters you work even harder to up keep it due to a few bad apples who feel like having hunting rights is the same as owning the land.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    There is a lot of good information here. I do have a question for the Land Owners that have responded here. I have hunted state ground for a while now and have been fine with it, but I have kids that are showing interest in going hunting with me (girl is 9, boy is 7). How are your views on people bringing their kids? Not the first year, but later? I would like them to watch me do it once before I let them take a deer (me with them the whole time). I even thought about just finding some private property just so I can take my kids, not for just me.
    Also, do you prefer bow hunters over gun hunters or visa versa?

If you have permission, and cause no issues, I dont know of a single farmer who wont let you take kids. Hell we would allow a kid to accompany us long before allowing a stranger to hunt.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I grew up in farm country, putting up hay and clearing fence rows. If I wanted permission to hunt on a farmer, I would find someone to introduce me to them. Farmers tend to have close knit communities and a stranger at the door asking permission to hunt is just that, a stranger at the door. For some country folks, there is not much that is less appealing than a stranger at the door.

Remember, for a farmer, their land is not just dirt or space on a map, it is likely the food on their table, their income, their main financial asset, their kid's inheritance, their heritage and their responsibility. Why would they want some yahoo city boy with a rifle running around shooting up the place?

smittygj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2010
    Kingdom of Bahrain
    Here is what I did. During the off season, I drove around and used google maps to
    find property that looked decent to hunt, and had no houses on them (vacant land).
    I researched the tax records to find the owners, and sent them a letter letting them
    know who I was, a little about me, and requested permission to hunt on their property.
    Enclosed was a map of their property from google maps, and a permission form with
    dates listed from and to that I was requesting to hunt (basically firearm and muzzle
    loader season) and a self addressed stamped envelope for them to send me back the
    signed form.

I sent out 8 letters, and got 3 back giving me permission to hunt three places here
    in Monroe county with a total acreage of about 600 acres. Yes, on two of them,
    there are two or three other hunters that also have permission to hunt, but in no
    way are we crowding each other. If I go hunt and see their vehicle on one side of t
    he property, I just drive over to the other side and hunt there."

Thats what worked for me! None of them asked for any money, and
    only asked that I respect their property and two of them asked that I kill
    as many coyotes that I can call/see. It can't hurt to do some research,
    and for the cost of some stamps and some time, you would be amazed
    at the results you might have.

sbnewsom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    St. John
    That is a great idea! Thanks for that. I'm 34 years old and have never hunted anything in my life. I am determined to try bow hunting this year. My business partner has bow hunted his whole life and he is willing to show me the ropes. I can't wait. I'm in the same situation as a lot of people being that I have no land. I will definitely try your tactic above. The worst that can happen is they say no.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It always amazes me to hear the stories about idiots who show no respect for the land they are given access to. We pay a pretty penny to lease the hunting rights on the farm we hunt, the owner of the property could not care less about the place (just a source of money for him), and we still do everything we can to take care of it. The farmer who leases the farming rights isn't crazy about us being there but we go out of our way to be helpful when we can and respectful when we encounter him, he seems to have warmed up to us a little bit in the last two years. I can't fathom cutting someone's fence, leaving gates open (or closing them), leaving trash behind or tearing up fields. I don't know why it surprises me, rarely does a day go by when I'm not disappointed by the people around me.

We were given access to a piece of property to hunt turkeys last year for the first time and I'm thankful for the privilege. I intended to buy them a gift card for Christmas and got sidetracked so I'm trying to come up with an idea for when I take my daughter out for her first hunt in a few weeks.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It always amazes me to hear the stories about idiots who show no respect for the land they are given access to. We pay a pretty penny to lease the hunting rights on the farm we hunt, the owner of the property could not care less about the place (just a source of money for him), and we still do everything we can to take care of it. The farmer who leases the farming rights isn't crazy about us being there but we go out of our way to be helpful when we can and respectful when we encounter him, he seems to have warmed up to us a little bit in the last two years. I can't fathom cutting someone's fence, leaving gates open (or closing them), leaving trash behind or tearing up fields. I don't know why it surprises me, rarely does a day go by when I'm not disappointed by the people around me.

We were given access to a piece of property to hunt turkeys last year for the first time and I'm thankful for the privilege. I intended to buy them a gift card for Christmas and got sidetracked so I'm trying to come up with an idea for when I take my daughter out for her first hunt in a few weeks.

There is a saying I use all the time and it applies across the board these days.....

Nothing party's like a rental. No respect for anything that is not theirs.
    That you try so hard to take care of the property you lease goes to character. This is something lacking in society today.

Top Bottom