Fake News or Dem pipe dreams? They been huffing over at the post?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Might just be me, but I think things Obama has said or done are irrelevant to what Trump says or does.

Just want to head this "But Obama" stuff off before it becomes a habit.

Point taken and in general I agree with the sentiment, but if one is going to hold up "lying" as an impeachable offense then, I thought it could add some context. And to be fair, I did a "But Obama" and a "But Hillary". ;)

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Point taken and in general I agree with the sentiment, but if one is going to hold up "lying" as an impeachable offense then, I thought it could add some context. And to be fair, I did a "But Obama" and a "But Hillary". ;)

Heh.

Well, as far as things he's lied about. What consistutes a lie? Some here have explained that, in his falsehoods, he was just misinformed.

I mean, when he says there was "serious voter fraud" in Virginia and New Hampshire (there wasn't)... would you call that a lie? Or just political un-truths to stoke the fires?

Or when he repeats unsubstantiated claims that "millions of illegals" voted. A lot of the things he says aren't backed by any actual evidence. Would those still be lies?

Or when he says a country's president said this or that on a phone call to him... (only for the person to respond that it was never said). I'd say that's probably closer to a lie.

Then there are distortions... which, again, are these lies? He misrepresents events like Obama and the protester back in early November. Trump says the President screamed at the person... when in actuality he defended them. I know it looks good on Trump's twitter, to his followers... but isn't that a lie? To misrepresent what happened?

I'd say his wide claims of voter fraud and rigged elections were a lie spread to get out the vote. It worked for him, but it was still a lie.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Might just be me, but I think things Obama has said or done are irrelevant to what Trump says or does.

you mean like everyone in MSM getting their panties in a bunch when he says he's not going to a security briefing every day, yet Obama only went to 42% of his and nobody in the MSM seemed to care?

As to the "lies" I think they are more talking out his butt than lies. He talks a yuuuuuge game, but wont be able to act on those promises for various reasons. (like "thats not what the executive branch does, sir. That is Congress' job.") The only lie that comes to mind so far is the 1100/800 numbers in the Carrier deal. But who knows where the original number came from.

I think unrealistic vague campaign promises are less lies than overstated campaign promises.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Heh.

Well, as far as things he's lied about. What consistutes a lie? Some here have explained that, in his falsehoods, he was just misinformed.

I mean, when he says there was "serious voter fraud" in Virginia and New Hampshire (there wasn't)... would you call that a lie? Or just political un-truths to stoke the fires?

Or when he repeats unsubstantiated claims that "millions of illegals" voted. A lot of the things he says aren't backed by any actual evidence. Would those still be lies?

Or when he says a country's president said this or that on a phone call to him... (only for the person to respond that it was never said). I'd say that's probably closer to a lie.

Then there are distortions... which, again, are these lies? He misrepresents events like Obama and the protester back in early November. Trump says the President screamed at the person... when in actuality he defended them. I know it looks good on Trump's twitter, to his followers... but isn't that a lie? To misrepresent what happened?

I'd say his wide claims of voter fraud and rigged elections were a lie spread to get out the vote. It worked for him, but it was still a lie.

All fair points, no doubt. But do they rise to the level of an impeachable offense? Especially for one that isn't even in office yet? Does it bear watching? Certainly. But to intimate that an impeachment is eminent once he takes office? That seems a little hyperbolic to me.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I think unrealistic vague campaign promises are less lies than overstated campaign promises.

Definitely, and that's going to happen with anyone running for public office. I think it's probably less innocent than some imply, though. I think they know some of the stuff they spread isn't really true. But it definitely works to get out the vote.

Spreading false information about voter fraud, etc... yeah, that's debatable, and hard to verify.

Lying about what was said on phone calls with other countries, though... that's an outright lie, and unnecessary.

All fair points, no doubt. But do they rise to the level of an impeachable offense? Especially for one that isn't even in office yet? Does it bear watching? Certainly. But to intimate that an impeachment is eminent once he takes office? That seems a little hyperbolic to me.

No, not impeachable. I haven't followed this thread at all. If impeachable lies was the topic, I wasn't privy to that.

Not sure if any lies are really impeachable these days. If blatant enough, they might lower your public opinion... but unless it's about something criminal, you're probably safe.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If lies were an impeachable offense, You could completely empty the house, senate, and executive offices.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Definitely, and that's going to happen with anyone running for public office. I think it's probably less innocent than some imply, though. I think they know some of the stuff they spread isn't really true. But it definitely works to get out the vote.

Spreading false information about voter fraud, etc... yeah, that's debatable, and hard to verify.

Lying about what was said on phone calls with other countries, though... that's an outright lie, and unnecessary.

No, not impeachable. I haven't followed this thread at all. If impeachable lies was the topic, I wasn't privy to that.

Not sure if any lies are really impeachable these days. If blatant enough, they might lower your public opinion... but unless it's about something criminal, you're probably safe.

Not strictly the topic, but hinted at in Kut's post...
    Trump was legitimately elected, but I think he, given the person he repeatedly shows us he is, will be quite dangerous. Here's hoping on impeachment.
    Well, when you lie as much as Trump does, you really don't have to hedge your bets, that he's going to continue lying when he's in office.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

The idea of "but Bush" was to make the other side seem like hypocrites for supposedly supporting Bush doing the same things Obama was doing. That doesn't work if it's a false equivalence or if the evil thing Bush did wasn't supported by Obama's opposition.

But it IS hypocrisy if it is an equivalence and was supported by the opposition. Just saying, there are valid times when "but Bush", or "but Obama" applies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What lies has he told? Are they lies or they an adjustment in his position? What kind of lies would be worthy of impeachment? Lies like, "If you like your insurance plan, you can keep your insurance plan."? Or "If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor."? Or maybe, "Our embassy was attacked due to a youtube video."?

As far as impeachable offenses, lies which are purposefully stated to mislead the American people. To be fair to Trump, I'm not sure if he's lying, or simply doesn't have a clue. Id rather he lie the next 4 years, and not get caught, rather than him being ignorant to how things are. Unfortunately, he really just might be that dumb.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    As far as impeachable offenses, lies which are purposefully stated to mislead the American people. To be fair to Trump, I'm not sure if he's lying, or simply doesn't have a clue. Id rather he lie the next 4 years, and not get caught, rather than him being ignorant to how things are. Unfortunately, he really just might be that dumb.

So... like the lies that I alluded to from the current administration? :) Because if not to mislead the American people, I can't think of another reason they would have said those things.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So... like the lies that I alluded to from the current administration? :) Because if not to mislead the American people, I can't think of another reason they would have said those things.

If you can prove it, certainly. You take a platform to the American people, that's full of lies, and you know they're lies. If it passes and the truth is discovered, you should be removed.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you can prove it, certainly. You take a platform to the American people, that's full of lies, and you know they're lies. If it passes and the truth is discovered, you should be removed.

Therein lies the rub doesn't it? Campaign promises are notorious for being overstated and under-implemented. That's somewhat different than statements made after one is already in office in my opinion. Promises can be "broken" for a number of reasons, not the least of which is naivete about the way things work as an elected official. Once one is in office though, they should have more than an inkling about what things can be stated as fact, and what things, if said, would clearly be falsehoods.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Therein lies the rub doesn't it? Campaign promises are notorious for being overstated and under-implemented. That's somewhat different than statements made after one is already in office in my opinion. Promises can be "broken" for a number of reasons, not the least of which is naivete about the way things work as an elected official. Once one is in office though, they should have more than an inkling about what things can be stated as fact, and what things, if said, would clearly be falsehoods.

So you think Trump is going to control his mouth once he's sworn in?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So you think Trump is going to control his mouth once he's sworn in?

Eh, I expect that what he says may be tempered somewhat once he's settled in, but I don't expect that he'll never say anything controversial or anger-inducing (for some). I don't expect him to be purposely deceitful (nor should we accept it from any public servant). If he is, then it should be dealt with accordingly, but given what we've seen in the last years, apparently a lot of Americans have a high tolerance for dishonesty.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Unfortunately, he really just might be that dumb.

Obama is not dumb....
    Clinton is not dumb....
    Palin is not dumb.....
    Bush is not dumb......
    Trump is not dumb....

Please kut I implore you to not do that...It bothers me when my side does it and it bothers me when the other side does it...No one gets to where these folks got in life by being "dumb"...

IMHO

The late Hitchens' once called out the audience of Bill Mahar for doing that...

[video=youtube;HECI4QK_mXA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HECI4QK_mXA[/video]

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Obama is not dumb....
    Clinton is not dumb....
    Palin is not dumb.....
    Bush is not dumb......
    Trump is not dumb....

Please kut I implore you to not do that...It bothers me when my side does it and it bothers me when the other side does it...No one gets to where these folks got in life by being "dumb"...

IMHO

The late Hitchens' once called out the audience of Bill Mahar for doing that...

[video=youtube;HECI4QK_mXA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HECI4QK_mXA[/video]

I'm not saying he's dumb generally. He's clearly intelligent in a number of areas. But as far as govt goes, I legitimately think he's over his head, and in the end we will all suffer for it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom