Not open for further replies.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Maybe. I'm one of those who think they had a lot of it (maybe not all) figured out. I don't think they were anywhere near as petty as today's clowns. They seemed to sincerely care about the country they were forming. I can't say that anymore. They got the whole constitution with preamble and amendments on about 20 typed pages. There is just no conceivable way that could ever happen again. Even the owner's manual for my truck is four or five times that.

I'm kinda with Kut on this one. In general, politicians then were every bit as petty as they are today. Today's mudslinging has nothing on what they did to each other back then.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Sorry, it isn’t that simple. You’re going to need other documents to get that ID. You don’t just walk in say “I’m so and so,” and walk out with a piece of paper that allows you to vote. Specifically, proof of identity, social security, and residency.

Are not all of those things important - nay, critical - to demonstrate in order to participate (vote) in an election? Do not these things ensure the integrity of the voting power of each individual exercising the civic duty and privilege of voting?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Well, you are better versed in Constitutional matters than most that have served in congress.

And that's the crux of the problem - on both sides of the aisle. Though, I'm pretty jaded when it comes to matters inside the beltway. The UniParty have set themselves up as a privileged class. I tend to think that they all understand the constitution; they just despise it, view it as a hindrance, and actively work to undermine it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Are not all of those things important - nay, critical - to demonstrate in order to participate (vote) in an election? Do not these things ensure the integrity of the voting power of each individual exercising the civic duty and privilege of voting?

Absolutely. I don't have problem with the requirement asked for. I do however think that obtaining that information is more burdensome to poorer people. Look at it this way, the government has no problems "finding" and taxing you. They tax you based on the exact same things they require to obtain an ID. I think if they accept the information provided when they take your money, then they should probably extend that notion to voting (i.e. "no taxation without representation"). :dunno:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Absolutely. I don't have problem with the requirement asked for. I do however think that obtaining that information is more burdensome to poorer people. Look at it this way, the government has no problems "finding" and taxing you. They tax you based on the exact same things they require to obtain an ID. I think if they accept the information provided when they take your money, then they should probably extend that notion to voting (i.e. "no taxation without representation"). :dunno:

I both think that burdensome bureaucracy should be removed whenever possible, and that people as adults should bear responsibility for maintaining their status as contributing members of society (such as keeping track of S/S card, birth certificate, proof of residency, etc.). There are, at the same time, people who are victims of the system and people that play the system like a fiddle.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It’s not as simple as saying “you can get the id for free.” You can’t just walk in, have your picture taken, and walk out with an Id.

And that is as it should be, you should have to prove the identity you are claiming in order for the state to affirm it

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Voting is important to me and I make the extra effort to cast my vote. I wake up early to vote before work, I educate myself regarding the candidates, I make sure I have my ID, if out of town I plan ahead and vote in advance. It doesn't have to be as easy as going through the drive thru for a Big Mac. It ain't rocket surgery or brain science.

I both think that burdensome bureaucracy should be removed whenever possible, and that people as adults should bear responsibility for maintaining their status as contributing members of society (such as keeping track of S/S card, birth certificate, proof of residency, etc.). There are, at the same time, people who are victims of the system and people that play the system like a fiddle.

It would be interesting to compare how certain individuals respond regarding how simple the process is to get an ID to vote to the previous "challenges" some faced in another INGO thread in getting their Real ID from the BMV. So if voting is important to you then plan ahead and get it accomplished, don't whine about the burden of providing enough documentation so others don't end up with fake IDs, and make it happen. Take some personal responsibility.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I'm kinda with Kut on this one. In general, politicians then were every bit as petty as they are today. Today's mudslinging has nothing on what they did to each other back then.

Interesting. Do you have any examples of what they did back then that compares to this frivolous impeachment?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So. Does the willingness to echo this nutcase on INGO, while being critical of Alex Jones, mean that it's the type of conspiracy theory that confers enough legitimacy (for you) to ignore similarities in temperament and robustness of attachment to reality?

Just sharing fun things.

Do I need to bring back my sigline that things I post here are not endorsements of said things

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Interesting. Do you have any examples of what they did back then that compares to this frivolous impeachment?

I don't think his comment was in reference specifically to impeachment, only that pettiness has existed for a long time within American government. And for the record, this "frivolous impeachment," is an opinion held by some.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    And nevertheless, obtaining an ID to vote still isn’t as easy as some believe it to be. I have no idea why you’re talking about Indiana, as from my end, I was speaking generally.

So it isn't easy; should it be? If one wishes to exercize the right to have a say in their and their countrymen's future shouldn't it be worthy of a little more effort than buying a lottery ticket?

The point is, it isn't impossible or even particularly onerous as a onetime endeavor. If they move around a lot, they may not be voting correctly on precinct level local issues, but the overarching purpose of restricting one man to one vote is served and restricting a voter to only the local issues affecting the precinct in which they live is attempted. Perhaps an individual who doesn't want his real residence to appear in any database would be worthy of further scrutiny before being automatically accorded the rights and privileges of proper society

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Voting is important to me and I make the extra effort to cast my vote. I wake up early to vote before work, I educate myself regarding the candidates, I make sure I have my ID, if out of town I plan ahead and vote in advance. It doesn't have to be as easy as going through the drive thru for a Big Mac. It ain't rocket surgery or brain science.

It would be interesting to compare how certain individuals respond regarding how simple the process is to get an ID to vote to the previous "challenges" some faced in another INGO thread in getting their Real ID from the BMV. So if voting is important to you then plan ahead and get it accomplished, don't whine about the burden of providing enough documentation so others don't end up with fake IDs, and make it happen. Take some personal responsibility.

Thank you Kittyslayer. While some think it's just easy to get an ID that will allow you to vote, in reality, it can be more challenging than expected.

From the Real ID thread (names omitted):
    It is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. My mother had to obtain a copy of her marriage license from 1955 so that she would be in compliance.
    Note: The birth certificate your parents got from the hospital with your footprints, parents info, and doctor's signature will not work!! You must have one from the state/county you were born in, found this out the hard way.

Since I was born in WI, I had to contact WI to get an official copy of my birth certificate and use my DL as proof of ID so I could use the BC as ID to get my license. :n00b: $20 plus $6 shipping or $40 rush job plus shipping and I gave them the info off my original BC to get a not as detailed official BC.
    Amen. I didn't have a original birth certificate, after 65+ years not many do BUT they wouldn't accept my military I.D. as proof. That has my photo and prints the birth certificate foes not.
    Mom had to get a copy of her marriage certificate from Italy and divorce papers from Texas and the marriage papers translated for a DL.
    Interestingly I was asked to provide a copy of my social security card and my birth certificate.

I received my social security card in 1964 ( yeah I’m that old ). I still have the original. I was informed it wasn’t satisfactory and had to apply for a new one from the feds.

Similarly, I had my original birth certificate issued by the hospital where I was born with Doctor’s wet signature and my baby footprints and all. Also was told that wasn’t sufficient and I had to apply for a copy from the county clerk’s office. Cost me $10 each for 2 copies.

Can’t wait to have to produce the items listed for the Real ID.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom