• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    We are getting our first ever exchange student tomorrow. She arrives from Germany late tomorrow evening. We've been scrambling to get everything ready before arrives. Any others have personal experience hosting exchange students over the years? We're excited and nervous at the same time but I'm guessing no where near as much as she has to be leaving her family and friends for almost a year.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Is your coordinator located on the south side? Are her initials "V. N."? If so - you're in good hands.

I only ask the above because our baby sitter has been an exchange coordinator for like 30 years.

Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    My wife has been handling most of the details so I'm not 100% positive but I don't think those are her initials. Could definitely be mistaken though. The lady that did our home visit / inspection or whatever it's called couldn't even had been 30 years old, she was young (well, a lot younger than us). Then there's another lady that's sent us information from Shelbyville area.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    We had a student from northern Germany last school year. It didn't work out so well. He spent nearly all his time laying on the couch using his phone (I think he saw about every youtube video made) or on our computer playing League of Legends. We tried to get him out with us but he didn't enjoy anything except eating out. His grades sucked, but he didn't care since he said they didn't count in Germany. We had to tread the fine line between making him do stuff with us and letting him run his life. We skipped this year because of the difficulty of last year. Might try again in the future.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My parents did the exchange thing several times when my sister and I were in High school and College. Two Japanese girls, and a Fin. Still keep in touch with Elina (the Fin), my sister visited her in Finland once, and she came back here to visit one time. My sister also did an exchange and spent 3 months in Japan.

Its tough, for sure. Some kids fit right in and really try hard. Others probably shouldn't have left their home. I know of two that had to go back early (really, really bad behavior).

Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    We had a student from northern Germany last school year. It didn't work out so well. He spent nearly all his time laying on the couch using his phone (I think he saw about every youtube video made) or on our computer playing League of Legends. We tried to get him out with us but he didn't enjoy anything except eating out. His grades sucked, but he didn't care since he said they didn't count in Germany. We had to tread the fine line between making him do stuff with us and letting him run his life. We skipped this year because of the difficulty of last year. Might try again in the future.

Do you have a child of your own the same age or was he kind of alone within the family? Our daughter and exchange student are just a few months in age difference, so we're hopeful that will help with the social aspect. Although I had heard that the entire school year doesn't count back in Germany, so that was a concern in the back of mind. Thanks for the feedback for sure.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    We had a student from Japan for the school year. She had just a couple issues with being home sick and feeling like she didn't fit in. We treated her just like one of our daughters. That was about 7 years ago, my wife still stays in contact with her. She came for my daughters wedding 4 years ago and another visit while she was studying in California.
    We feel like she's part of our family. It was a great experience for all.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Do you have a child of your own the same age or was he kind of alone within the family? Our daughter and exchange student are just a few months in age difference, so we're hopeful that will help with the social aspect. Although I had heard that the entire school year doesn't count back in Germany, so that was a concern in the back of mind. Thanks for the feedback for sure.

We have a son 3 years younger, and two older who were out of the country much of the year, but got along well when they were here.

Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    We had a student from Japan for the school year. She had just a couple issues with being home sick and feeling like she didn't fit in. We treated her just like one of our daughters. That was about 7 years ago, my wife still stays in contact with her. She came for my daughters wedding 4 years ago and another visit while she was studying in California.
    We feel like she's part of our family. It was a great experience for all.

This is the type of experience that I'm hoping we have. One that goes beyond just being food and shelter for her for the next 10 months but instead one that we, especially our daughter, can maintain friendship with her for years to come.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    This is the type of experience that I'm hoping we have. One that goes beyond just being food and shelter for her for the next 10 months but instead one that we, especially our daughter, can maintain friendship with her for years to come.
    I can't stress enough, treat her just like your other kids. No special treatment, same rules, bedtimes, etc..
    everything wont go perfect. Just do the best you can. You'll be fine!

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    Had some family friends who hosted a young man from Germany; just them and the kid on a farm a fair ways from the city. All in all, very good experience for all concerned.

I think the kids from Germany try to get to the US because it's so much easier to get a driver's license here!

Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    I think the kids from Germany try to get to the US because it's so much easier to get a driver's license here!
    With the exchange agency we are part of it is strictly forbidden for them to drive any motorized vehicle, car, atv, boat,etc. because the insurance the agency provides for them does not cover any type of MVA where they are driving. Don't know how that differs among hosting agencies out there.

Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    4 more hours of last minute touches to the girls bedroom and other misc stuff. Time for a couple of beers and some rest before the big day tomorrow. Thanks all for the feedback.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    have a present for her, be early to the airport if you are picking her up. Make her part of your family in every way and encourage her to be with the family for meals and for routine stuff. She may choose not to but there can be a lot of home sickness. See what she enjoys doing and draw her out a bit.

Oh, and how old is she? what part of Germany is she from? Our first au pair was from Berlin and currently lives in Bargersville

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Absolutely no offense intended, but I'm surprised that they would allow an exchange student into a home with firearms, if they knew it.

Swom

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 16, 2016
    East Indy
    Absolutely no offense intended, but I'm surprised that they would allow an exchange student into a home with firearms, if they knew it.

None taken. The topic never came up during the interview process nor have I seen it covered in any documents they have provided us. Not saying I have read every word of all the dozens of documents but at least in the 'strictly forbidden' and 'host family responsibilities' sections I definitely did not see any mention of firearms at all.

Of course, all firearms except the one I'm carrying are all locked in the safe.

Top Bottom