Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    13-year-old robs neighbor at gunpoint

Updated: Sep 4, 2008 01:23 AM EDT

Emily Longnecker/Eyewitness News

Indianapolis - A boy who just turned 13 is in trouble and accused of robbing a neighbor at gunpoint. It happened at a home on Red Bird Drive near 30th Street and Georgetown Road.

The teen suspect's mom says her son was an honor student in juvenile detention with a 3.5 grade point average and says he's innocent until proven guilty.

The mother talks to Eyewitness News and tells her son's side of the story, Lisa Carver says her 13-year-old son just got out of juvenile detention a week ago, on probation for robbery. "He's not perfect."

Carver states he is, "hanging out with the wrong crowd."

And after being released from juvenile detention, "he was just trying to change his life around."

Now though the teen is accused of going into a neighbor's home Tuesday afternoon, putting a gun to her head, and demanding money.

Police say they got involved after neighbor's in the area called 911 saying they had seen a suspicious looking person walking around this house and then going in the front door.

The 911 caller told the dispatcher: "He put a bandana over his face and he just went up to the house and he was looking through the windows."
    "According to the victim he tried to take money from her at gun-point," says IMPD Lt. Jeff Duhamell.

Police say when they got to the home, the teenager was hiding inside and had hidden a nine millimeter handgun under a bedroom mattress. The teen then made a run for one of the doors and Police apprehended him.
    But the teen's mom says, "he didn't have a gun. He didn't get no gun from here. There's no guns here."

Carver says her son couldn't have gotten a gun from somewhere else because she's been watching him closely ever since he's been out of juvenile detention and on probation. "He hasn't been nowhere."
    Police disagree saying the teen ended up down the street Tuesday afternoon at the victim's house.

His mother says her son did go to the neighbors, but says he told her it wasn't to rob anyone and she believes him. "There's two sides to the story."

The suspect, just one week out of the juvenile detention center, is back there again facing more charges including residential entry, criminal confinement, robbery, dangerous possession of a fire arm and having handgun with no license.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Carver says her son couldn't have gotten a gun from somewhere else because she's been watching him closely ever since he's been out of juvenile detention and on probation. "He hasn't been nowhere."
    Police disagree saying the teen ended up down the street Tuesday afternoon at the victim's house.

Forgive me for restating the obvious, you moronic "parent", but you obviously weren't watching him that closely if he was off mugging someone. :xmad:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    "having handgun with no license"?

Possibly carrying a handgun with no license, but "having" one?

There are getting to be fewer "parents" and more old children.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

There's no such thing as journalism anymore, if there ever was, only thinly-disguised editorializing. Spellcheck has made them all lazy. They use it as a substitute for grammar checking and, usually, fact checking.

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    Maybe it's just me.......

If someone just gets released from Juvenile Detention or jail for robbery, and then commits a robbery a week later, I tend to believe the BG is guilty as hell. I say lock him up and throw away the key. I don't care if he is only 13. He is quickly proving that he cannot be a productive member of society.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger

The teen suspect's mom says her son was an honor student in juvenile detention with a 3.5 grade point average and says he's innocent until proven guilty.

"He's not perfect."
    "hanging out with the wrong crowd."

"he was just trying to change his life around."

"he didn't have a gun. He didn't get no gun from here. There's no guns here."

His mother says her son did go to the neighbors, but says he told her it wasn't to rob anyone and she believes him. "There's two sides to the story."
    [/quote]

I think you guys are being to harsh. After reading the article, I can see now that the kid Was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. He's just trying to "change his life around".
    Come on guys, can't we just give the benifit of the doubt??

Yes I'm being sarcastic. He's guilty. Just wanted to point out the same phrases that are uttered by every other parent who's kid has gotten in trouble with the law.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The phrase "honor student in juvenile detention" just make me thing about being the smartest kid on the short bus. Or is being an honor student meaning you learn the trade of being a juvenile delinquent quite well?

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    The fact remains that he can have his record expunged (spelling?) when he turns 18 no matter how many times he gets in trouble.
    After having his record expunged he will start over with a "clean record" as if he had never been in trouble before!!! Any offenses at that time are "first offenses"!

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I do wonder how "I" would react to a young man my son's age puklling a gun on me.
    I have decided that if there was a life or death decision to be made... "I" am going home to be with my family tonight. but my ponderings never involved a 13 year old bad guy with a gun. :dunno:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I do wonder how "I" would react to a young man my son's age puklling a gun on me.
    I have decided that if there was a life or death decision to be made... "I" am going home to be with my family tonight. but my ponderings never involved a 13 year old bad guy with a gun. :dunno:

13 or 30 ...... it's a deadly weapon pointed at you. The gun doesn't care, the bullet doesn't care, and your body won't know the difference. Easy to say, I know. Hope none of us are never in that position!! :n00b:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

The gun was found under his mattress. He possessed it, but he was not caught carrying it. The mother already said he didn't have one, therefore he didn't have her permission to possess it.
    IC 35-47-10-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A child who is attending a hunters safety course or a firearms safety course or an adult who is supervising the child during the course.
    (2) A child engaging in practice in using a firearm for target shooting at an established range or in an area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited or supervised by:
    (A) a qualified firearms instructor; or
    (B) an adult who is supervising the child while the child is at the range.
    (3) A child engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code that uses firearms as a part of a performance or an adult who is involved in the competition or performance.
    (4) A child who is hunting or trapping under a valid license issued to the child under IC 14-22.
    (5) A child who is traveling with an unloaded firearm to or from an activity described in this section.
    (6) A child who:
    (A) is on real property that is under the control of the child's parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child's legal guardian; and
    (B) has permission from the child's parent or legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    (7) A child who:
    (A) is at the child's residence; and
    (B) has the permission of the child's parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child's legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.12. Amended by P.L.1-1995, SEC.78; P.L.203-1996, SEC.2.

<A name=IC35-47-10-5>IC 35-47-10-5
    Dangerous possession of a firearm
    Sec. 5. A child who knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly:
    (1) possesses a firearm for any purpose other than a purpose described in section 1 of this chapter; or
    (2) provides a firearm to another child with or without remuneration for any purpose other than a purpose described in section 1 of this chapter;
    commits dangerous possession of a firearm, a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class C felony if the child has a prior conviction under this section.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.12. Amended by P.L.203-1996, SEC.4.

<A name=IC35-47-10-6>IC 35-47-10-6
    Dangerous control of a firearm
    Sec. 6. An adult who knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly provides a firearm to a child for any purpose other than those described in section 1 of this chapter, with or without remuneration, commits dangerous control of a firearm, a Class C felony. However, the offense is a Class B felony if the adult has a prior conviction under this section.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.12. Amended by P.L.203-1996, SEC.5.

<A name=IC35-47-10-7>IC 35-47-10-7
    Permitting child to possess a firearm
    Sec. 7. A child's parent or legal guardian who knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly permits the child to possess a firearm:
    (1) while:
    (A) aware of a substantial risk that the child will use the firearm to commit a felony; and
    (B) failing to make reasonable efforts to prevent the use of a firearm by the child to commit a felony; or
    (2) when the child has been convicted of a crime of violence or has been adjudicated as a juvenile for an offense that would constitute a crime of violence if the child were an adult;
    commits dangerous control of a child, a Class C felony. However, the offense is a Class B felony if the child's parent or legal guardian has a prior conviction under this section. As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.12. Amended by P.L.203-1996, SEC.6.

<A name=IC35-47-10-8>IC 35-47-10-8
    Term of imprisonment in addition to criminal penalty
    Sec. 8. (a) In addition to any criminal penalty imposed for an offense under this chapter, the court shall order the following:
    (1) That a person who has committed an offense be incarcerated for five (5) consecutive days in an appropriate facility.
    (2) That the additional five (5) day term must be served within two (2) weeks after the date of sentencing.
    (b) Notwithstanding IC 35-50-6, a person does not earn credit time while serving an additional five (5) day term of imprisonment imposed by a court under this section.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.12.

<A name=IC35-47-10-9>IC 35-47-10-9
    Consecutive sentences imposed
    Sec. 9. A court shall impose consecutive sentences upon a person who has a conviction under this chapter and a conviction under IC 35-47-2-7.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.12.

So... the mother successfully created her own alibi and at the same time removed any possibility for her son to use exemptions within the law. (#6 and #7, that is) Maybe she was doing the right thing after all, though if so, I think she did it unintentionally.

The kid, though? Yep. Three strikes. You're out.

Blessings,
    B

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    I don't think it was under his mattress Bill, I believe it was left under a mattress in the house he was robbing..

Maybe it doesn't matter or I am reading it all wrong..:dunno:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yes I'm being sarcastic. He's guilty. Just wanted to point out the same phrases that are uttered by every other parent who's kid has gotten in trouble with the law.

I must respectfully disagree. When I made a mistake, my parents still loved me, but they didn't make excuses about how it wasn't me or that I couldn't have done it. The truth is that people of every age can make huge mistakes and that just because it's your child doesn't mean they didn't do what they were accused of.

If I got it trouble at school, my parents would grill me about it until they got to the bottom of the issue. And they wouldn't allow my excuses about why I did it. If I did it, they blamed me. Its actually a wonderfully simple process.

Seems to me that this mother has created an environment where the boy is never faulted and never held accountable. No wonder the kid is off the straight and narrow.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I was meaning what you see/hear in the news as of late. When some one does a wrong, the offenders family come in and says those couple of phrases.

My apologies nighthawk. I understand now. They do seem to be the favorite lines of defensive family members. Its like how after a tornado, the TV station always goes to a trailer park and get the most idiotic person to recount the story.

Why, in the name of half-assed journalism, would you go talk to the family members of a suspected thief/rapist/murderer? Do you really expect they are going to say "oh yea, Uncle Billy always seemed like the kind of guy who was going to snap and kill somebody. We figured it was a matter of time" Why interview these people who are rarely objective?

Top Bottom