• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    There's a big difference between serving in the Wermarcht and being a Nazi (meaning being part of the Nazi party or NSDAP).
    The article you showed says he was "conscripted" into the Wermacht, meaning he was forced to serve just like millions of German citizens at the time.
    The NSDAP had up to 8 million members when the Wermarcht had over 18 million, meaning at least 10 million people in the Wermarcht couldn't be Nazis.
    Many people in the Wermacht were actually against Hitler and the Nazi party.

Just like General Olbricht.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Olbricht

Scooped ya Sylvain, lol

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    2 things: He was conscripted, and while it is common to call anybody bearing arm, for Germany during a war, a "Nazi," that is incorrect. Being a member of the Wehrmacht did not make one a Nazi.

A Kut beat me to it! :faint:

Some Wehrmacht folks were even part of the German resistance and were anti-Nazi.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Of course...but again, lame attempt at humor on my part I suppose.

The German company that built my dishwasher (still in business and now a famous German brand) actually had a factory inside a Nazi concentration camp during WW2.
    They used slave labor to build their machines and the company changed their name after the war to hide that part of their past.
    Now Antifa could protest against that company (not that the people now in charge are responsible for the action of the founder of the company).

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    And Newsweek !
    What's next? Somebody will start believing the nightly news? The WSJ? The New York Times?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    A Kut beat me to it! :faint:

Some Wehrmacht folks were even part of the German resistance and were anti-Nazi.

I probably have a unsettling obsession with Germany, and the Nazis in general. I mean how any people can say they've read "Mein Kampf?" Obviously, I'm in Germany at least twice a year, and I've had the opportunity to speak to German people from that era. The one thing that I can say about them that is almost universal, and very similar to how older Americans hate Japanese, is that older Germans hate Russians.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I probably have a unsettling obsession with Germany, and the Nazis in general. I mean how any people can say they've read "Mein Kampf?" Obviously, I'm in Germany at least twice a year, and I've had the opportunity to speak to German people from that era. The one thing that I can say about them that is almost universal, and very similar to how older Americans hate Japanese, is that older Germans hate Russians.

I've read several translations of Mein Kampf but never in its original language.I believe since last year it's now in the public domain.
    I like me some dressed sauerkraut and apfelstrudel when I go to Germany.
    I don't go there often though but I often get to talk to German folks who are visiting France.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I've read several translations of Mein Kampf but never in its original language.I believe since last year it's now in the public domain.
    I like me some dressed sauerkraut and apfelstrudel when I go to Germany.
    I don't go there often though but I often get to talk to German folks who are visiting France.

Do they go "My uncle was in a bunker, over there, shooting at the Allies"? That would be awkward. I love apple strudel. And I get blasted at Christmas drinking gluhwein...better than hot chocolate. I'm surprised it isn't more widespread in the states. Do the French have something similar?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Do they go "My uncle was in a bunker, over there, shooting at the Allies"? That would be awkward. I love apple strudel. And I get blasted at Christmas drinking gluhwein...better than hot chocolate. I'm surprised it isn't more widespread in the states. Do the French have something similar?

I've even seen Allied WW2 vets meeting German WW2 vets.It's actually not that awkward.

We have the same thing that we call vin chaud (hot wine) that you can get at Christmas markets and fairs.The German name is used as well.

33494494.jpg

Taylor22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 3, 2016
    Morgan county
    The German company that built my dishwasher (still in business and now a famous German brand) actually had a factory inside a Nazi concentration camp during WW2.
    They used slave labor to build their machines and the company changed their name after the war to hide that part of their past.
    Now Antifa could protest against that company (not that the people now in charge are responsible for the action of the founder of the company).

Bosch I’m assuming?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Bosch I’m assuming?

Close.Siemens, they built their own factory/concentration camp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobrek_concentration_camp

But Bosch also used slave labor.Just like Audi, BMW, and many other German companies.
    Even the chemical company (IG Farben) that produced Zyklon B for death camps is still around today under a different name and still a leading chemical company.

Some of those companies had to pay millions of dollars to concentration camps survivors.

Top Bottom