• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    So how many here run gas with ethanol. Did you know you get less performance and less MPG? I just learned this and I drive an Excursion. Of course I will do whatever I can to improve the lush which I must have in order to pull my camper and haul my family.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So how many here run gas with ethanol. Did you know you get less performance and less MPG? I just learned this and I drive an Excursion. Of course I will do whatever I can to improve the lush which I must have in order to pull my camper and haul my family.
    Unless you're going out of your way to find gas without ethanol (very limited number of gas stations carry it), then everyone is using gas with ethanol in it.

Being discussed here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...thanol-free-gasoline.html?455356=#post7560911

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It would be nice if they would remove the requirement to add it to our gas. Probably never going to happen though. Can't take away those handouts once they are given.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Less mpg yes, if tuned properly, performance should be close enough that you'd need to use a Dyno to see the difference. And yes, practically all stations use ethanol.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    E10 is pretty much everywhere. E15 is not uncommon.

Ethanol has something like 70% the energy content of gasoline. So, performance and/or mileage will go down. Engines can be tuned to make up the performance, but at the cost of economy.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    E10 is pretty much everywhere. E15 is not uncommon.

Ethanol has something like 70% the energy content of gasoline. So, performance and/or mileage will go down. Engines can be tuned to make up the performance, but at the cost of economy.

I see E10 signs all the time, but I never see E15 signs. My car can't handle anything higher than E10 and this push for E15 has me concerned I will have no choice but to damage my car.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    So how many here run gas with ethanol.

I would imagine almost all of us...since they called it "Gasohol" in the '80s.

Did you know you get less performance and less MPG?

Less MPG, certainly. Ethanol actually has some performance "advantages" in an engine specifically designed for it, but those are generally race-type engines with sky-high compression or boosted to the high heavens. But, sure, for the normal car running around, less performance.

I just learned this and I drive an Excursion. Of course I will do whatever I can to improve the lush which I must have in order to pull my camper and haul my family.

I can't believe that you were that​ interested in fuel economy driving something like that....or else you'd go diesel.

BTW, I just saw E-15 at the pump for the first time at a local Casey's in Valpo (brand new station). It has a sticker warning not to use on vehicles older than 2001 unless specifically designed for use with ethanol.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Less MPG, certainly. Ethanol actually has some performance "advantages" in an engine specifically designed for it, but those are generally race-type engines with sky-high compression or boosted to the high heavens. But, sure, for the normal car running around, less performance.

What You Need to Know About E85 Ethanol Alternative Fuel - Hot Rod Network

Yup. Basically, less energy per volume but you can push in more fuel because it doesn't need as much air in the mixture and some other properties. Works well with super charged applications, and cheaper (by a lot) than race fuel.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ethanol like any other fuel source has its benefits and drawbacks. From my experience one of the biggeat drawbacks is Ethanol attracts and absorbs moisture. That moisture can cause serious issue with corrosion. That's one reason why it shouldn't be used in older cars. It can be especially bad for small engines on generators, chainsaws, weed trimmers, mowers etc.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So stupid question, I assume running no ethanol gas isn't an issue in a modern vehicle either assuming one can find it. Is it at all worth the price difference and seeking it out, if one is not going to run it all the time?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So stupid question, I assume running no ethanol gas isn't an issue in a modern vehicle either assuming one can find it. Is it at all worth the price difference and seeking it out, if one is not going to run it all the time?

The mpg difference is normally around 3-5%. The performance difference varies based on how the car is tuned, but is generally only at wide open throttle and if the injectors can't handle more fuel flow and if you aren't on a dyno you're almost certain to not see the difference. So, probably not.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The mpg difference is normally around 3-5%. The performance difference varies based on how the car is tuned, but is generally only at wide open throttle and if the injectors can't handle more fuel flow and if you aren't on a dyno you're almost certain to not see the difference. So, probably not.

That's what I kind of assumed, but figured I'd ask. Thanks for the info.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Depends on what it is. On say an old muscle car yes it is worth it. Because they weren't built with materials that meet the anti corrosion properties needed for fuel with Ethanol. Also as I understand it E10 and ethanol free fuel have different boiling points and that can cause some issues on older cars with a carburetor.
    Also, fuel with Ethanol doesn't have the same shelf life. Pure gas will stay fresh longer and will not absorb the moisture from ambient air.
    Small engines are particularly finicky as the orifice sizes in the carb gum up much easier. On small engines you should dump the fuel and run some ethanol free fuel through it before storage.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That's what I kind of assumed, but figured I'd ask. Thanks for the info.

I looked into it for my Camaro SS. There are guys tuning the cars to run on E85 and getting 5-8% increases in power with stock injectors. A bigger fuel system and they can get big bumps, especially in a supercharged motor.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

...for E-10 and E-15...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom