EPA Rule Will Have Devastating Effects On Indiana…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    It's insane the EPA has been granted the power to regulate a naturally occurring gas in the atmosphere - CO2 - a gas that occurs at a rate of about 0.04% in the air we breathe (or about 400 parts per million).

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    This also assumes man's actions are having a measurable effect on the world's climate too. (I am not convinced we are...or even possibly can).
    I'm sure 8 billion (and growing) humans consuming daily has an impact on the world. What that impact actually is may be the bigger question and will/can the planet compensate?

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    What happens if the state refuses to have companies comply with Fed regulations and uses means within the state to bar entry of fed regulators that try to force compliance? So who goes to jail and exactly how would the feds enforce any attempt at punishment?

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Meanwhile China and India continue to buy the dirtiest, cheapest coal available and pump out record emissions while simultaneously laughing at the rest of the world while giving us two middle fingers.

We could go 100% carbon free and it wouldnt make hardly a dent in the world output due to 3rd world countries.

"It was a bad week for anyone who thought China would cooperate on emissions reduction. President Xi Jinping reiterated that his country would set its own path on the issue and not be influenced by outside factors, according to the Washington Post and Bloomberg. This contradicts Xi’s 2015 Paris Agreement pledges to reduce its carbon emissions at the latest after 2030."

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/carbon-footprint-by-country

Of the top 8 polluters in the world, it takes #2-8 added TOGETHER to almost match China's output. While almost every other country is trending downward China's say **** you and adding more. They are, as of 2022, accounting for 34% of the worlds emissions at this point. The US is at 11%. They increased 3% in the last 2 years, so even if the US was to cut that in half, they will eclipse any benefit that we would have made in 5 years.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

"It was a bad week for anyone who thought China would cooperate on emissions reduction. President Xi Jinping reiterated that his country would set its own path on the issue and not be influenced by outside factors, according to the Washington Post and Bloomberg. This contradicts Xi’s 2015 Paris Agreement pledges to reduce its carbon emissions at the latest after 2030."
    I really wish I could get inside Xi's office and just ask straight up what their calculus on energy is.

The Chinese think and plan in centuries. They plan for continuity of regime into the far future. They must have a plan, a model, an informed prediction for what the future of the Earth will look like in a hundred years.

So why the obvious unconcern over climate? They, as an authoritarian regime, can impose any changes they wish. Do they have internal data and modeling showing CO2 is no big deal? Do they believe climate change is coming, and they can exploit it to their advantage? Is the coal a calculated, temporary bridge to something else?

Wish I knew.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

At the end of the day the US will pay china to say positive things and make fake promises. They just haven't agreed on a price, but with JK on the job that's going to get done.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    What happens if the state refuses to have companies comply with Fed regulations and uses means within the state to bar entry of fed regulators that try to force compliance? So who goes to jail and exactly how would the feds enforce any attempt at punishment?

I was about to type this, wondering what would happen if the state told the feds to shove their "rules" where the sun doesn't shine?

Would it result in the feds sending "federal" troops into the state? Is the EPA so weaponized that they have their own storm troopers?

What if we the people along with our uniformed civilians stood up to a federal armed response? No shots fired standing up for reality and that we tell the feds "NO" per the constitution of this country!

Could we wind up with a state-wide "Waco"?

There comes a time where enough is too much, is this pending rule that point?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I was about to type this, wondering what would happen if the state told the feds to shove their "rules" where the sun doesn't shine?

Would it result in the feds sending "federal" troops into the state? Is the EPA so weaponized that they have their own storm troopers?

What if we the people along with our uniformed civilians stood up to a federal armed response? No shots fired standing up for reality and that we tell the feds "NO" per the constitution of this country!

They'd just cut off federal funds to the state. The state loves them a sugar daddy.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I really wish I could get inside Xi's office and just ask straight up what their calculus on energy is.

The Chinese think and plan in centuries. They plan for continuity of regime into the far future. They must have a plan, a model, an informed prediction for what the future of the Earth will look like in a hundred years.

So why the obvious unconcern over climate? They, as an authoritarian regime, can impose any changes they wish. Do they have internal data and modeling showing CO2 is no big deal? Do they believe climate change is coming, and they can exploit it to their advantage? Is the coal a calculated, temporary bridge to something else?

Wish I knew.
    The first place to look, to see where China's head is at on the environment, is to observe the air quality the citizens of their larger cities tolerate on a daily basis. It's obvious anything environmental takes a backseat to economic development. You want clean air? Go sit on a mountain in Tibet.

My guess would be, China has internalized the lessons of the West, doesn't want to get caught in the "Middle Income Trap," and realizes cheap energy is what allows small economies to rapidly grow into big ones. They need to reach "escape velocity" to break through the Second Place ceiling, and they are not going to miss their chance while the bought-off authorities of the West are looking the other way. They don't know how long the West can remain bought-off, so they need to make hay while the window of opportunity is open.

So what about the environmental damage they create in the mean time? Well, the Cuyahoga River used to be on fire...and now it's not. There is plenty of time for environmental damage to remediate, AFTER world Superpower status has been reached. Economics to them is a life-and-death issue. Environment is only a "quality of life" issue. They are taking care of first things first.

State policy is irrelevant. Energy companies are profit-seeking entities and are averse to all forms of risk to their bottom line. They answer to shareholders, which is a force higher than any governor's office. My guess is, if the Feds have a bullseye on them, they're going to comply with Federal directives, no matter what the State level government does. Energy companies are regulated monopolies who think in "decades" when planning their future expenditures and revenue, and permitting and approvals for new capital improvements can take years and years to shake out. And they know - Uncle Sam never dies. Just the _threat_ of new regs is enough to prompt energy companies to begin modifications years in advance, to ensure continuity of operation. Coal-fired capacity has been dropping for a long time, before new regs ever were put in place. Especially during the Obama years, energy companies saw the writing on the wall, and they didn't wait for the Federal Gubmint to spell it out for them before making the changes. When the candidate who said "we're going to bankrupt you" gets elected, stockholders pay attention.

There isn't going to be any "Waco," because we're not dealing with religious wackos getting into the panties of underage girls, who are willing to literally die to stand their ground. We are dealing with profit-seeking, publicly-traded corporations with much to lose and a risk-management mentality. It won't become a matter of the Feds enforcing any attempt at punishment, because the energy companies will comply willingly. "Thanks for the offer, Ron DeSavior, but we got this."

Rule #1 of Modern America: Freedom defends Capitalism - but Capitalism won't defend Freedom.

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Wish I knew.
    They already produce well over double the USA in electricity(mind you they have more population),but the lead is only growing as they have finished 16 powerplants since 2021 with more than 20+ still under construction. They also have more renewable energy up and running than the rest of the world combined.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

They have usurped state autonomy and federalized utility transmission so no state is an island that can even do this as I see it.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The first place to look, to see where China's head is at on the environment, is to observe the air quality the citizens of their larger cities tolerate on a daily basis. It's obvious anything environmental takes a backseat to economic development. You want clean air? Go sit on a mountain in Tibet.

My guess would be, China has internalized the lessons of the West, doesn't want to get caught in the "Middle Income Trap," and realizes cheap energy is what allows small economies to rapidly grow into big ones. They need to reach "escape velocity" to break through the Second Place ceiling, and they are not going to miss their chance while the bought-off authorities of the West are looking the other way. They don't know how long the West can remain bought-off, so they need to make hay while the window of opportunity is open.

So what about the environmental damage they create in the mean time? Well, the Cuyahoga River used to be on fire...and now it's not. There is plenty of time for environmental damage to remediate, AFTER world Superpower status has been reached. Economics to them is a life-and-death issue. Environment is only a "quality of life" issue. They are taking care of first things first.
    Part of that is certainly the "privilege" of an authoritarian society. The tolerance for what they can impose is simply higher, and you are correct that far more acute issues than CO2 are suffered by their population today.

I did think about that velocity question. Perhaps they are planning on retiring these coal developments in 30 years or after some other anticipated time in which they want to execute a burst of development. I just wonder if their plan is to mitigate climate change down the road, or if they simply have internal reason to believe it's not happening at all.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    These rules and "carbon" along with all the other environmental garbage is nothing but a way to increase government authoritarian footprint on the backs of taxpayers and citizens. More money for the elite's "pet projects" while reducing freedom. This is the backbone of all Democrats' plans.

Top Bottom