Enter At Your Own Risk: Police Union Says ‘War-Like’ Detroit Is Unsafe For Visit

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    DETROIT (WWJ) – The men and women of the Detroit Police Department believe the city is too dangerous to enter, and they want citizens to know it.

Detroit Police Officer Association (DPOA) Attorney Donato Iorio said officers are holding the “Enter At Your Own Risk” rally at 3:30 p.m. Saturday in front of Comerica Park to remind the public that the officers are overworked, understaffed, and at times, fearful for their lives.

Enter At Your Own Risk: Police Union Says ‘War-Like’ Detroit Is Unsafe For Visitors « CBS Detroit

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Meh. Just another union whine in an attempt to get more money and more union dues from more officers. Detroit's been a ****hole for decades, but it's not a warzone, yet. I'd go there before I went to Chicago's south side. If it's so dangerous then they should do their jobs and restore peace. The fact that it was coming from the union says all I really need to know.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    There's a thread on this subject on GT. Just Google Detroit decay and you'll see how some ares of Detroit look like no one has lived their in 20 years. Most of Detroit is a cesspool, brought about by incompetent leadership for generations. Detroit simply doesn't have the tax base anymore to support itself.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    They used to kill people in Detroit and then dump the bodies in the outlying areas because there were fewer patrols. Now they're killing people in the outlying areas and dumping them in Detroit because there are no patrols.

I still avoid Detroit like the plague.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    Its not so much the union as it is the mismanagement of funds, the p.d. has a good budget with more money in it than that of Austin p.d. but DPD equipment sucks and so does their pay. Austin has better equipment and makes more money so explain that one.

Detroit p.d only tops out at like 53K for officers which is the lowest of all the major cities. If the leaders would stop sleeping around and focus on the task at hand it would be alot better.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Meh. Just another union whine in an attempt to get more money and more union dues from more officers. Detroit's been a ****hole for decades, but it's not a warzone, yet. I'd go there before I went to Chicago's south side. If it's so dangerous then they should do their jobs and restore peace. The fact that it was coming from the union says all I really need to know.

I agree, it's about money. I would still go to Detroit before I would go to Chicago, NYC, DC, anywhere in CA etc. as I can still carry there.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

So the police don't need more personnel there? They don't need a competitive wage to retain decent, hard working cops? This doesn't sound like whining... I bet the "whiny union members" probably want to go home at the end of their shift, kinda like anybody.

An argument as heated as OC vs CC is pro union vs no union. Let's not do that.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    So the police don't need more personnel there? They don't need a competitive wage to retain decent, hard working cops? This doesn't sound like whining... I bet the "whiny union members" probably want to go home at the end of their shift, kinda like anybody.

An argument as heated as OC vs CC is pro union vs no union. Let's not do that.

Anythings possible, but the fact that it's the union asking for it immediately makes it suspect. I don't think DPD can ever afford the type of compensation necessary to get "decent hardworking people". Who's going to go work for a starting salary of 30,000.00? topping out at 57K. For that money all you are going to get are the uneducated who don't have any other skills and happen to notice that the police department is hiring. And for a chance to work for DPD you get to shell out 62.00 for the written test and 45.00 to take the physical agility test. You do get a uniform allowance of 250.00 dollars though. Not sure how many actually use it there as some of the sloppiest looking cops I have ever seen besides NYC have been Detroit. That's one good thing about the LEO's I have seen around here is they appear to take pride in their appearance. I haven't seen any sloppy looking or ill-fitting uniforms.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anythings possible, but the fact that it's the union asking for it immediately makes it suspect. I don't think DPD can ever afford the type of compensation necessary to get "decent hardworking people". Who's going to go work for a starting salary of 30,000.00? topping out at 57K. For that money all you are going to get are the uneducated who don't have any other skills and happen to notice that the police department is hiring. And for a chance to work for DPD you get to shell out 62.00 for the written test and 45.00 to take the physical agility test. You do get a uniform allowance of 250.00 dollars though. Not sure how many actually use it there as some of the sloppiest looking cops I have ever seen besides NYC have been Detroit. That's one good thing about the LEO's I have seen around here is they appear to take pride in their appearance. I haven't seen any sloppy looking or ill-fitting uniforms.

Then you get what you pay for.

I have friends who left Gary FD to Detroit FD since Gary didn't burn enough. He's a loon. The mayor has now closed several stations and laid off a few of DFDs bravest. I guess they don't wanna pay the cops or firefighters... until they admit there's a problem they will continue to play catch up with crime and arson statistics. And tourism and industry will continue to steer clear from Detroit.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    What's the going rate for an entire residential city block in Detroit?

With the price of farmland in my locale, I say buy it, bulldoze it and plant corn. Use the city water for irrigation. Rail service has to still be intact, build a monster grain elevator at a former auto factory site. Problem solved.

Top Bottom