• ...and so much more!
  • Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    ENGINEERS!
    Purdue University from 1985-1993 both on campus and at Indianapolis. Dad died 1 week into my freshmen year. Pretty much ended my ability to go full time and had to do it over 7.5 years on weekends and nights. Civil / Survey is my profession, primarily residential, commercial and roadway. Own my engineering / surveying and land planning firm.

My Dad was a self taught civil / structural that took and passed the PE with only having 1 year in college. I remember him studying every single night when I was a kid. I also remeber going up to the public library in Indianapolis when I was a kid with my Mom to get books for him. I cannot imagine the dedication to do that. It sucked the way I did it. It would have sucked 10 times more the way he did it.

My brother is an engineer as well,.... Waste Water Treatment plant operator. He really knows his S&!t.

Dirty Steve

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Whenever I go to talk to the engineer in my group, If he's not in his cubicle, I rearrange things on his shelf........just slightly.

He always comes looking for me.

See, that right there is funny. Uh, not that I have or have not ever done anything substantially similar or completely different, of course.

Not just engineers!

I get twitchy when the silverware basket in the dishwasher isn't filled "right". It's a six-bay dealio. There must be one piece per bay before putting +1 in a bay. Yes, I do rearrange it.

Don't let BigBoxaJunk visit you!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For your enjoyment!

c1bc01dda9035c82a846ce979a86e514.png

Furthermore,

5ad501f2d6437cf7b5d99dc99d590c01.png

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Not just engineers!

I get twitchy when the silverware basket in the dishwasher isn't filled "right". It's a six-bay dealio. There must be one piece per bay before putting +1 in a bay. Yes, I do rearrange it.

you're being OCD wrong. there should be a bay for spoons, a bay for forks, etc...

when my wife wants to mess with me she re-arranges the cash in my wallet. It should be $1 bills, then $5 bills, etc...

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    you're being OCD wrong. there should be a bay for spoons, a bay for forks, etc...

when my wife wants to mess with me she re-arranges the cash in my wallet. It should be $1 bills, then $5 bills, etc...

-rvb

You have a wife and she allows you to have cash? Of your own? To hold in your own wallet?

Wow.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Nope. That's incorrect, they must be properly balance to prevent "spooning", whereby like shaped utensils will bind together thus preventing proper washing. Forks act as an impurity and prevent crystallization.

My wife just does that with her own wallet, then shows it to me, then puts it away such that I can't fix it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Whoa! I remember doing these sorts of thing but it looks like a foreign language now. You just don't need to know calculus, diff eq, etc. to keep a factory running.

Heh . . . I used to be able to start from that general form of the Navier-Stokes Equations and simplify down to more useful forms for practical things. I knew which terms corresponded to which physical property/phenomenon. Now all I remember is that it's all about momentum, pressure, stress, and viscosity, essentially Newton's 2nd Law applied to fluids. The closest I've come to applying any of that since the early 1990s was when I was teaching physics at Ivy Tech in the chapter on fluids. I got to try to teach them to apply a simplified version of the Continuity Equation in conjunction with Bernoulli's Equation for solving simple problems.

Nowadays, if I want to know divergence, gradient, curl, and anything else beyond simple calculus, I have to look them up. I remember when I was an undergrad talking to recent graduates. They told us that most of us would never use most of the math we learned and that we would forget much of it anyway. I was skeptical to the point of disbelief then. Oh, what a naive lad I was.

The near complete loss of my math foundation is the primary reason why I have completely dismissed the notion of trying to finish my PhD. It would take me years doing undergrad math just getting back up to speed and I'm too old, too tired, and too weak for that. If I'd known then what I know now, I wouldn't have been such a pu**y and just finished my PhD when it was within my ability to do so.

Hell, I can't even do CAD. If you held me at gunpoint and forced me to design something, I'd need to break out my drawing tools. Or, as Turtlehead used to say, "En-juh-NEER-un toohs."

Anyone else have a collection of 0.3mm mechanical pencils?

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Nope. That's incorrect, they must be properly balance to prevent "spooning", whereby like shaped utensils will bind together thus preventing proper washing. Forks act as an impurity and prevent crystallization.

I give a higher weight to the speed at which I can unload the washer. Throughput is king. I can live w/ a certain rejection rate. Dirty ones just get left for the next cycle. placing the spoons so some are up and some are down helps prevent "spooning."

My wife just does that with her own wallet, then shows it to me, then puts it away such that I can't fix it.

I view the wife's purse/wallet/vanity/etc as a black box. I only see I/O, not what's inside, nor do I want to know the gory details.

-rvb

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Heh . . .

If I want to know divergence, gradient, curl, and anything else beyond simple calculus, I have to look them up. I remember when I was an undergrad talking to recent graduates. They told us that most of us would never use most of the math we learned and that we would forget much of it anyway. I was skeptical to the point of disbelief then. Oh, what a naive lad I was.

The near complete loss of my math foundation is the primary reason why I have completely dismissed the notion of trying to finish my PhD. It would take me years doing undergrad math just getting back up to speed and I'm too old, too tired, and too weak for that. If I'd known then what I know now, I wouldn't have been such a pu**y and just finished my PhD when it was within my ability to do so.

Hell, I can't even do CAD. If you held me at gunpoint and forced me to design something, I'd need to break out my drawing tools. Or, as Turtlehead used to say, "En-juh-NEER-un toohs."

Anyone else have a collection of 0.3mm mechanical pencils?

I can do CAD -- 2D but never had .3mm pencils. .5's were tough for me as I was broke the leads. Finally I just started using pens because I didn't have to sharpen them and the stupid things wouldn't jam up or stick open like the mech pencils would.

We had this older engineer hired on as an energy engineer. He had a power distribution background and one of my responsibilities was managing the plant's power distribution system. He couldn't help but stick his nose in. One day we were discussing some issue we were having and he pulled out his mech. pencil and a pad of paper and started drawing vector diagrams to explain his theory...I laughed.

One day he did some study and sent me his spreadsheet to show me what he was coming up with. I started looking through it and checking his math on a few things..........................instead of putting formulas in and letting Excel do its thing, he did his calculations on his HP and then typed them in :laugh: Crazy Canadians!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    most of us would never use most of the math we learned and that we would forget much of it anyway. I was skeptical to the point of disbelief then. Oh, what a naive lad I was.

except for working on my masters, I haven't done anything related to calculus since graduation. I fear the day my kids start that stuff in school and asks for help with homework, as the expectation will be that I can not only do it but help teach it. I predict late nights reading his books so I re-learn it.

I put 4 years between my BS and my MS and it was amazing how much I had to re-learn. Now it's been 7 yrs since my masters and I'm sure even more of that useless nonsense has been replaced by more relavant info, like reloading data....

-rvb

ps. not to mention trying to learn math the way they are teaching it now.... the common core methods are nuts...
    ^^^ (does that make me sound old)?

Top Bottom