• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I watched my 1st and 3rd grade grandsons doing their classes on line and from what I could see, they were not getting much out of it.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    One of my engineering profs would never answer a question directly, instead he would ask you questions. When I was a freshman I couldn't for the life of me understand why he just wouldn't answer my questions. Often times I'd leave his office in anger and no answers. It took me longer than it should've to realize he wasn't there to spoon feed answers(my high school teachers) but teach me how to find the answers myself. Last I heard he was getting reprimanded by the school because not enough kids are passing his classes but a large percentage are not even turning in assignments.
    Sounds like my kind of professor. Too bad he isn't getting support.

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    This describes my experience with many "proprietary" IT classes by software companies and even in some IUPUI IT courses.

i.e. I once took a week long Windows MSCE class. Everytime I asked why something was shown to do a certain way the only answers I ever got was "don't ask why, just know how". But if I don't understand "why" I'm doing something I have no way to figure out "how" to apply it in a different situation.
    Teaching to the certification test has fostered this style.

They offer test prep classes as college education and get college tuition rates to do it...

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Yeah, there's no little to no direction. They've got our school doing split attendance; half go Monday-Tuesday, Wednesday the school is closed for cleaning, and Thursday-Friday the other half attend.

I feel like the simplest solution would be for them to live stream each class for the kids attending from home, but there's no interaction on the off days. They just have worksheets and assignments on the home page.
    Yeah, no direction and the teachers themselves haven't a clue either. My girlfriends' grand kids were trying to get something to work (submit an answer) on their chromebooks for an assignment. Since I'm the "IT guy" I was asked to take a look.
    I fiddled around with it thinking it should be a breeze for an IT pro like myself, but after trying everything I could think of, just gave up and told them to get help from the school. If I couldn't help them how are these kids are expected to be able to do it themselves?

BigErnNP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2020
    Southeast Side
    Nice write up Ruger.

It has been stressful for all involved. Having one in preschool and the other in 2nd grade, I've seen their frustration with eLearning and the overall structure changes that come with it.

Teachers are stretched thin as ever and it has to feel absolutely exhausting. Listening to an eLearning day with my 2nd grader, it just equated to herding cats. Kids trying to talk over each other, asking questions about things just said and overall just not having the attention span necessary.

The other item of note with our eLearning experience has been that class lasts a lot shorter than a regular day at school. All school work is done within 2.5 hours when doing eLearning. So adding in other age appropriate work books has helped with keeping the kids occupied after initial work is done, so they don't go into TV/Game mode. Trying to keep them from turning into couch potatoes while I try to get all my work done from home.

I've learned that I'm not a good teacher but I will absolutely keep working at it for my kids sake. All we can do to be there for them.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Nice write up Ruger.

It has been stressful for all involved. Having one in preschool and the other in 2nd grade, I've seen their frustration with eLearning and the overall structure changes that come with it.

Teachers are stretched thin as ever and it has to feel absolutely exhausting. Listening to an eLearning day with my 2nd grader, it just equated to herding cats. Kids trying to talk over each other, asking questions about things just said and overall just not having the attention span necessary.

The other item of note with our eLearning experience has been that class lasts a lot shorter than a regular day at school. All school work is done within 2.5 hours when doing eLearning. So adding in other age appropriate work books has helped with keeping the kids occupied after initial work is done, so they don't go into TV/Game mode. Trying to keep them from turning into couch potatoes while I try to get all my work done from home.

I've learned that I'm not a good teacher but I will absolutely keep working at it for my kids sake. All we can do to be there for them.
    Well stated. Very much agree that work was done much earlier than typically allotted for. The workbooks came in handy. We subscribed to this as well (super fun actually, takes about 2 hours to do.) It can be a periodical and not all at once, something like $15/mo.

I gathered that most of the time lost was due to transition (bathroom breaks, lunch, safety protocol, etc ). They don't have to wait in line for 10-20 minutes for a sammich I can make in 2.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All 3 of the terrorists are doing the "E" learning thing.
    Their mother is seeing just how inept most ALL OF THE TEACHERS ACTUALLY ARE. She is getting organized to address this.

jhparsons78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2013
    West Lafayette
    Completely agree. Works for short term, but horrible for long term learning. Also, more appropriate for middle school and older- not at all useful for elementary. YMMV

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    All 3 of the terrorists are doing the "E" learning thing.
    Their mother is seeing just how inept most ALL OF THE TEACHERS ACTUALLY ARE. She is getting organized to address this.
    It was both a frightening and enlightening revelation. Most are glorified herders. Yes, it's a difficult job. But it's also the most important. Most teachers I've met have such a ''this is BS, you try it for a day" attitude. Really tweaks my melons.

I realize most educators are regurgitating.gov mandated nonsense. Just proves to me that they are only there to reinforce what I(we) teach them. Its a sad state of affairs all the way around.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Our kids school shut down for much of the first half of the year. My 10th grade son had a hell of a time with it. The lack of in person instruction, inability to ask questions, and the fact that the school did not provide good instructions on how to access assignments and turn in homework really made it difficult for him. Unfortunately, he got so far behind due to not understanding the material that he is really struggling now in the second half of the year. He is currently failing 4 out of his 6 classes, and had a "D" in the other 2. He has always been a B and C student.

Top Bottom