Effective Instructor: "Combat" Experience Required?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Depends on how you define professional trainers, but yes.

It also depends on the time frame. I have some good friends who pushed a sentiment similar to that for a long time and generally denigrated competition shooting and those who do it, partly because their mentor did. I don't hear as much about it anymore.

Competitive shooters dress funny. No fashion sense.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Competitive shooters dress funny. No fashion sense.

Outlier counterpoint:

3.jpg

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    I had to dig up where I saw this...seems to fit into the thread. LAV posted this to Soldier Systems recently....

“It takes years to become a professional but only ten minutes to dress like one”

- SGM (ret) Craig Maxim

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Ha. Sucks to be you. The host range in Maryville, must not have been big enough. I went in May '12.....

He will be teaching in Bloomington, IN in Dec this year and I'm thinking of attending as a refresher.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I took TAPS in WI in '12

It was "light the fuse." That was the second thing we did on the first day. No one was ready for it that is for sure.

Yep we did it last year as well. I got lucky almost everyone else in the class was from a SWAT team and were all kitted out. I was running slick. Most of them started dumping gear shortly thereafter.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Yep we did it last year as well. I got lucky almost everyone else in the class was from a SWAT team and were all kitted out. I was running slick. Most of them started dumping gear shortly thereafter.

Those pansies should train how they work. If they are kicking doors in full kit, they should run the course in all their cool-guy gear. :) (Kidding, I'm so out of shape I probably couldn't do it naked.)

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Ha. Sucks to be you. The host range in Maryville, must not have been big enough. I went in May '12.....

He will be teaching in Bloomington, IN in Dec this year and I'm thinking of attending as a refresher.

I was in Racine, WI. The range was so sloppy footing was a problem during the run.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Those pansies should train how they work. If they are kicking doors in full kit, they should run the course in all their cool-guy gear. :) (Kidding, I'm so out of shape I probably couldn't do it naked.)

I think you'd be surprised by what you could do with a bunch of horny SWAT guys and Pat McNamara chasing you, yelling "GET SOME!"

Top Bottom