• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I don't know how everyone else feels, but I really dislike having to reload my Marlin .22lr tube-fed rifle one round at a time when at the range.

Yeah you could buy one of these:
    Spee-D-Loader 120 Round Speed Loader Works with all Tube Fed Rifles and .22 Ammo

But I'm a cheap skate, so I came up with an idea to do it for almost free.

Go to your favorite restaurant and grab a fistful of straws. I personally found Wendy's straws to work best in my application. They're just wide enough for .22lr, but not too tight to prevent them from sliding in/out easily. They're also just long enough to hold 9 rounds (the capacity of my marlin tube magazine) with a little extra room to play with.

You may need to find another variety of straw to fit your needs.

After I open up all the straws, I take a lighter and melt the one end of each straw. Just the tip needs melted. And it only takes a second; just apply the flame until edge starts to curl up. If the plastic starts to blacken and smoke then you're holding the flame to it too long.

Once the edge curls up, quickly remove the flame and press something flat and hard on the tip of the straw to smash it closed. The bottom edge of an ordinary bic lighter works great for this. Hold it down for a second. Afterwords, test the seal some with your fingers and/or by blowing into the straw some to make sure it's sturdy.

Now, all you need is some sort of cylindrical container to store the straws in after you load them up with your ammo. A pringles chip can was the best container I could find, though personally I'd like something a little narrower.

Anyways, you'll need to put a spacer in down at the bottom so that the straws are fairly close to the lid of the can so that the rounds can't fall out when the can is laid on its side. You could use a aerosol can lid if you find one the right size, or you could just bunch up some paper down at the bottom and put something flat on top of it. I found that an average size metal soup can lid fit nicely into a pringles can.

Since the pringles can lid fits rather loosely to be holding back heavy ammo, I recommend putting a piece of tape over it while in storage.

Throw a dessicant pack in for moisture and you're good to go!

I would take pictures of my setup, but I'm too lazy.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I no longer have my Model 60 but I used to use arrow shafts, not really cheap but the cool factor is way up there.. Cut them down to hold exactly 10 and use vacuum caps from the parts store to seal the ends.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Cool Idea....... now you'll have the fever for the flavor of a .22! :)

Much better than walking through the field with a pocket full of .22's

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    toss in a bobby pin at the bottom to keep rounds from sliding out and now its spill proof.
    Are you talking about the lid of the can? Sounds like a good idea.

I no longer have my Model 60 but I used to use arrow shafts, not really cheap but the cool factor is way up there.. Cut them down to hold exactly 10 and use vacuum caps from the parts store to seal the ends.
    I thought about using some vacuum caps, I think I have some laying around. Then you could just rubber-band the straws together, if the vacuum caps stick tight enough that is.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    .22 loading

You can order them from the place in Minn. for 19.95, they have 5 or 6 tubes in a bigger tube and they have a cap on one end, and a funnel like thing on the other end, that fits over the tube mag.... of course you have to load this........:patriot::ar15:

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    You can order them from the place in Minn. for 19.95, they have 5 or 6 tubes in a bigger tube and they have a cap on one end, and a funnel like thing on the other end, that fits over the tube mag.... of course you have to load this........:patriot::ar15:
    Is that a luger in your signature?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I wonder if folding over the "primer" end of the straw and crimping it with a set of pliers which have had the jaws heated would give you a seal which could be pulled open for feeding?

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I LOVE my marlin 60. its my favorite gun I own. So I had an old realtree quiver and some old arrows with broke tips or fletching, so I made about 5 aroow loading tubes, put them in the quiver, along with other rounds in the ziplock pouch, and BANG...22lr SHTF kit.....

Top Bottom