• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Question for you. Why would you even bother asking at all? If the person knows they have an illegal weapon or, even worse, plan to use it against you they are not going to admit to it. So even if you do suspect or have a good reason I'm not sure what you would gain. If they tell you the truth then, most likely, you had nothing to worry about to begin with. If they say no you still have to assume they are armed for your safety and basically ignore the answer.

This is what I've always wondered about any officer ever asking. Would be nice to hear a response from one.

This is my view as well. No idea why they bother unless it's to lead to more questions on differnet topics trying to troll for more? :dunno:

I'm no LEO, but I'd think it would be worth asking. Just like when Leo ask if there are drugs in the vehicle or ask to search and people admit it or let them - Even when they know there is! I'd assume that every single criminal isn't a stone cold killer (or often times very smart), nor do I think most actually have the jevos (<balls) to use a gun even if they do have one. Just asking can't really hurt. Smart criminals will lie, others may not? Just an assumption.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Question for you. Why would you even bother asking at all? If the person knows they have an illegal weapon or, even worse, plan to use it against you they are not going to admit to it. So even if you do suspect or have a good reason I'm not sure what you would gain. If they tell you the truth then, most likely, you had nothing to worry about to begin with. If they say no you still have to assume they are armed for your safety and basically ignore the answer.

This is what I've always wondered about any officer ever asking. Would be nice to hear a response from one.

It isn't the answer that matters, but how they answer.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I honestly wouldn't know. I don't get pulled over, because I obey traffic laws. So I can only speak in the hypothetical in such threads.

Last time I was pulled over was 11 years ago for not coming to a full and complete stop at an empty intersection and driving an import with tinted windows. one block from my house. Then got to sit and listen to a 15 minute lecture about how I could have ran over 15 kids, 3 dogs, their mother and at least 2 nannies by my super dangerous actions (on a deserted street at 1pm in the afternoon on a school day).

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

Sometimes the question needs to be asked because of how the occupant(s) of the car are acting.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Huh - I did not know that.

You seem like a very mellow dude.
    How do you vent at the end of a crazy circus shift?........kick dogs?........yoga?........pop bubble wrap?

Very few things get me all fired up any more. If it happens early enough in the shift I'll have a debrief with other officers involved, if near the end I just go home and chill out before sleepy time.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Last time I was pulled over was 11 years ago for not coming to a full and complete stop at an empty intersection and driving an import with tinted windows. one block from my house. Then got to sit and listen to a 15 minute lecture about how I could have ran over 15 kids, 3 dogs, their mother and at least 2 nannies by my super dangerous actions (on a deserted street at 1pm in the afternoon on a school day).

Last time I was pulled over was 1996 and an ISP trooper stuck his Beretta in my ear. But I don't hold a grudge against him or any other police officer.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Last time I was pulled over was 1996 and an ISP trooper stuck his Beretta in my ear. But I don't hold a grudge against him or any other police officer.

Niether do I. I understand he was bored and looking for an easy ticket from a kid skipping school. I just don't appreciate being talked down to like I'm either 16 or retarded. While I might be slightly intellectually delayed, I'm not 16.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I'm no LEO, but I'd think it would be worth asking. Just like when Leo ask if there are drugs in the vehicle or ask to search and people admit it or let them - Even when they know there is! I'd assume that every single criminal isn't a stone cold killer (or often times very smart), nor do I think most actually have the jevos (<balls) to use a gun even if they do have one. Just asking can't really hurt. Smart criminals will lie, others may not? Just an assumption.
    Because.....?

eachitandi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Plymouth
    That would be wonderful. Let me know what he says please.

Guess who I ran into tonight :)
    The officer acknowledge that there is no duty to inform, but followed that up with "it goes smoother for you if you tell me than if I see it and you didn't." (Not exact words) He said he had NEVER written a ticket to someone that informed him. If they show him respect, he'll return the favor.
    As for disarming for his safety... he said (and it makes sense if your in his shoes) that he will disarm you because he has to turn his back to you to walk to his car...

Top Bottom