• Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Hello folks, got a question.
    Anybody ever had the surgery to correct Dupuytren’s contracture? Looks like I’m gonna have to get it done in one hand for sure. May be able to do less invasive with other hand. Just wondering cause it’s interfering with my draw with strong hand side. Been increasing practice with weak side but that blows. If I could get some advice it would help me make a few decisions. Thanks to anyone that can talk about this stuff.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Well maybe he’ll see this and chime in. Thnx.

I have not treated mine yet...it is my understanding that most cases can be treated with an enzyme shot that eats up the string with no surgery...this is a recent development and there is a Doctor in Louisville that specializes in it although his name escapes me...he is who I saw and he said if mine gets worse to come back and we'll give it a go....this was probably 15 years or so ago....mine is slow...

as a side note the doctor was a furriner and originally from Chicago...I asked what brought him to Louisville and he nodded towards my hand and said, "your peoples DNA" lol....

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I have not treated mine yet...it is my understanding that most cases can be treated with an enzyme shot that eats up the string with no surgery...this is a recent development and there is a Doctor in Louisville that specializes in it although his name escapes me...he is who I saw and he said if mine gets worse to come back and we'll give it a go....this was probably 15 years or so ago....mine is slow...

as a side note the doctor was a furriner and originally from Chicago...I asked what brought him to Louisville and he nodded towards my hand and said, "your peoples DNA" lol....
    Thanks, my doc has me set up for a referral but these guys are 5 months out. I’ve got my regular appointment next month, I’m going to ask about that shot method. Sounds like faster rehab than surgery. I’ll do some research on it also. Mine has went from annoying to can’t hold a water glass in about 6-7 months. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Now I have to think about it.
    I don't have it bad, but some days it was difficult to hold a screwdriver.
    One of my problems is embarrassment from not being able to give a good handshake. My draw is ok with a small j frame or auto, but a full size 1911 or similar is out of the question. Absolutely nothing hi-cap. Can’t open my hand wide enough.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have it in my left hand pinky finger, bent sort like a motorcycle jump ramp. Have had it for a number of years and had a referral to a hand surgeon but my heart decided it needed more attention than my hand, and then my back, and then my bladder and now my gut. I’ll get it done someday. The shot sounds like a great deal and I’ll ask my doc about that. I’m left handed so it’s a bit annoying but luckily I shoot right handed.

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I have it in my left hand pinky finger, bent sort like a motorcycle jump ramp. Have had it for a number of years and had a referral to a hand surgeon but my heart decided it needed more attention than my hand, and then my back, and then my bladder and now my gut. I’ll get it done someday. The shot sounds like a great deal and I’ll ask my doc about that. I’m left handed so it’s a bit annoying but luckily I shoot right handed.
    Yep, you got it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    One of my problems is embarrassment from not being able to give a good handshake. My draw is ok with a small j frame or auto, but a full size 1911 or similar is out of the question. Absolutely nothing hi-cap. Can’t open my hand wide enough.

I can open mine.. flat. But it hasn't always been that way.
    There were times when I worked, when it wouldn't quite go flat, when the 'bulge' caused pain, when it was hard to use a screwdriver. And a screwdriver is kinda a big deal in my craft.
    But, I think maybe that was affected from overuse. :dunno:
    Would also hurt trying to manipulate wrenches, when the wrench would dig into the 'bulge'.

Mostly now, it's not enough of a deal, to do anything about it.

Unless it gets worse.

Top Bottom