• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Drink 2 cans of beer, and it's like drinking two beers.

Drink 2 cans of beer with a percocet, could be like drinking a 6 pack or more (depending on your metabolism and other factors.)

Thanks for the recipe. I'm down to my last two cans, and I need to make them last. It's a miracle!!!

Da Bing

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

I have heard many media stories that we are already on a path of creating super bugs by our constant use of antibacterial soap and other such things, even shoes. They say children should be exposed to more diseases and bacteria, as our exposure builds our own bodies immune system.

Regards,

Doug

The medical/pharmacutical community has promoted or maybe even engineered the "Got a problem?, Take this pill.", mindset. It's really not a large leap in thought to believe that this plays a big role why we have such a problem with abuse/addiction to prescription drugs.
    Doctors routinely prescribe antibiotics when they are not needed. Many times, prior to test results confirming that the malady is caused by bacteria. The food industry injects/adds them to commercially produced meats, milk, veggies, etc. The Yuppie and GenX kids were brought up believing that to be good parents, they needed to raise their kids in an antiseptic environment.
    I say (half jokingly) Let the kids eat dirt! Send them out, let'em get filthy. Let them climb trees, play on monkey bars, wade in creeks etc. It really is a natural part of growing up and serves to establish a strong immune system.

Ultimately, I believe that the root cause is the Nanny State mentality. It's about social engineering. Get rid of this and allow kids to be kids and the future generations will not have a need for the antibiotic use that society suffers from in this day in age.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    My doctor prescribes vicodin for any ailment.

Hey doc, I've got a cough that I just can't shake. Ok, here's some anti-biotic and vicodin.

Hey doc, my knees get sore when I exercise. Ok, here's a referral to a physical therapist and some vicodin.

Hey doc, I'm feeling a little down today. Ok, here's some prozak and some vicodin.

God bless that man. :)

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

Hey doc, I've got a cough that I just can't shake. Ok, here's some anti-biotic and vicodin.

Hey doc, my knees get sore when I exercise. Ok, here's a referral to a physical therapist and some vicodin.

Hey doc, I'm feeling a little down today. Ok, here's some prozak and some vicodin.

Did he give you one of those Eli Lilly Pez Dispensers with the Vikes? :laugh::laugh:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

You know what I get?

Hey doc, I broke my shoulder and I'm in excruciating pain.

Here's some tylenol 3.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Another question for the legalization/decriminilization crowd:

What would you do about prescription medications? Would you require a doctor's prescription or could anybody walk into Walgreen's and buy whatever they wanted?

What are you nuts??? That would bring down the economy of the entire nation. Prices for prescription drugs would crash. :D Everyone knows that drug companies deserve to rape Americans while selling the same drug to other countries at a much lesser price is just good business.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    The medical/pharmacutical community has promoted or maybe even engineered the "Got a problem?, Take this pill.", mindset. It's really not a large leap in thought to believe that this plays a big role why we have such a problem with abuse/addiction to prescription drugs.
    Doctors routinely prescribe antibiotics when they are not needed. Many times, prior to test results confirming that the malady is caused by bacteria. The food industry injects/adds them to commercially produced meats, milk, veggies, etc. (A)The Yuppie and GenX kids were brought up believing that to be good parents, they needed to raise their kids in an antiseptic environment.
    (B) I say (half jokingly) Let the kids eat dirt! Send them out, let'em get filthy. Let them climb trees, play on monkey bars, wade in creeks etc. It really is a natural part of growing up and serves to establish a strong immune system.

Ultimately, I believe that the root cause is the Nanny State mentality. It's about social engineering. Get rid of this and allow kids to be kids and the future generations will not have a need for the antibiotic use that society suffers from in this day in age.

sorry for the temporary threadjack.

In regards to the bolded material, I have to take exception to what I have labeled (A) in the quote. Being born in the mid 70s as I was, makes me a member of Gen-X. I can't speak for others, but I personally find the idea of keeping children bottled up reprehensible. My son and I often go for nature walks, bicycle rides and other outdoor type activities together. I encourage him to get dirty. I bought him a dirtbike for his fifth birthday. If a kid isn't dirty or leaked a li'l blood during the course of a summer day, he must be bored as all hell. Skinned knees, skinned palms, all part of the game.

My neighbor across the street is liek that. She's a sweet lady, she really is, but she's got herself a deathly fear of everything as it relates to her kids. I mean, for crying out loud, on the Fourth of July, she barely lets them outside touting the "danger" of fireworks. They're her kids though, let them disconnect from reality as she sees fit.

As for (B), I couldn't agree more. :cheers:

Carry on.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The reason there are prescriptions for prescription medications is because taking too much or too little results in bad things, up to and including death. People would be offing themselves left right and sideways without prescriptions and instructions to tell them how much morphine they should take.

False. Some of the worst overdoses I've seen have been...

ready for this?

Tylenol and aspirin.

It is a routine thing with overdoses, you check levels of both of those in the system. Salicylates cause a nasty acid state of the blood at high levels... Acetaminophen just murders your liver... However, the manufacturers go out of their way to put directions on the packaging to tell people how much is a good dose. Tylenol even had a series of TV ads where they told people, "If you're going to take too much, we'd rather you didn't take our product at all."

It does not take government regulation. It takes education. As for antibiotics, I'm torn on that one... Part of me agrees with the superbug theory being a problem. Two really nasty bugs are MRSA and VRE (Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureas and Vancomycin Resistant Enterococcus)
    Note the second word in both: Resistant.

If MRSA were to ever become resistant to Vancomycin, we would be in a world of :poop: because right now, IIUC, that's the only thing that will kill it.

The other side of the argument, though, again goes back to education: TEACH people that to go and get tested to find out what bug they have is a good idea. In addition, and a slight threadjack, why is it I can't go to a lab and say, "I want a cholesterol check and I'm willing to pay cash to get it done, no insurance." unless I have a doctor's permission to allow them to poke a hole in my arm? (end threadjack) If people saw the benefit, ATBX for viruses would be a minimal problem... Hell, someone would probably invent a machine that you could go in, have it poke your finger and draw out enough blood to test, and it would tell you what bacteria had infected you, and what would kill them.

Yeah, I'm thinking I'd come down on the side of all meds being OTCs.

Blessings,
    Bill

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington

BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    To the OP.... I believe MOST illegal drugs should be decriminalized...... Meth, Crack and Heroin are the main 3 that should not be..... I think that any chemical based (non-earth grown) illegal drugs should NOT be legal..... Granted there are some forms of prescription medications that has a form of heroin as a base for the pain killer..... But if you all do the research you will come to find out that there is not a place in the whole world where even marijuana is decriminalized.... Amsterdam is the pot captial of the world..... it is still criminalized..... Jamaica..... same thing....... It is just not seen as an arresting offense.....

My take on marijuana is that if it was cleared for medicinal use by states in the US but not recognized by Federal bodies in the US just goes to show the goverment is making too much money on imprisoning/jailing people for what should be at the max a ticketable offense for a simple possession.....

But if the the Federal government would see the light of day that the country would clear out our substantial debt in a matter of 3-5 years if marijuana was indeed declared legal and they taxed the crop as much as they tax tobacco and packaged it as it was tobacco.....

Now as for the other drugs like LSD, Ecstasy, Shrooms, Cocaine, Hashish, Opium and things of this nature I'm not sure..... But IMO it should be up to the person to regulate consumption versus a government body..... If a person wants to self medicate or self destruct.... It is THEIR choice....

Now if their self medicating/destruction affects children in their care or if they hurt someone other than themselves, there should be penalties for these actions....

Top Bottom