Downsizing your carry gun when you have kids?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Respect is shown where respect is required and safety is always paramount with our family. I'm very comfortable running around with, playing, wrestling, and carrying my child (although at 5 she's getting a little big for carrying) with my gun properly holstered in a good holster/belt combo. I've rolled around on the ground, jumped up and down, ran, played games, etc...all the while my 27 stayed right where it lives all day every day (IWB @ 4 o'clock). In the rare instance that my wife or daughter happens to graze, slap, touch, or bump my side where my Glock is, they usually just say (if anything at all) "oops", "sorry", or "ouch".

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I haven't changed...much.

though I do carry a little revolver most of the time (in a pocket), I am more aware of and tend to hold my kids in my "weak" hand if I'm carrying something on my waist. But then I run into the fact that I have a reload on my weak side...

Just more things to "work through", but nothing that I'd consider detrimental.

-J-

Shift Zombie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 3, 2011
    I'm a new father, my boy will be 7 months in just a few days, and I have thought about this much lately. I have come to the conclusion that it is much better to carry the largest firearm you're comfortable carrying in order to better protect your loved ones than it is to try and conceal the firearm from the child, down sizing to something considerably smaller, while at the same time leaving you with, possibly, inadequate protection. Educate the little ones to respect firearms and in safety around/with them, this is my plan.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    As I think someone else mentioned above, it would be a good idea to practice single hand shooting with a newborn in the family. It might be a good drill to shoot while protecting a 15# sack of flour in one arm.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    As I think someone else mentioned above, it would be a good idea to practice single hand shooting with a newborn in the family. It might be a good drill to shoot while protecting a 15# sack of flour in one arm.

15#? heh.

My 15 month old is 26# and my 3 year old is a bit under 40#.

The younger one, my son, has just recently learned to walk. He's still a "must carry". The older, my daughter, can hopefully be dragged / pulled by the arm / other appendage should the need arise. We go a lot of places as a family - so hopefully mom could wrangle both kids...

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I haven't changed anything.
    My 7 year old knows I carry and knows not to lean up against my right side.
    She also knows to keep her mouth shut and not talk about it when in public even if I open carry (which is rare).

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I didn't change anything. Kids knew early on mommy wore a gun and that they weren't to touch it. I also became very adept at carrying on the strong side above the firearm.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    15#? heh.

My 15 month old is 26# and my 3 year old is a bit under 40#.

The younger one, my son, has just recently learned to walk. He's still a "must carry". The older, my daughter, can hopefully be dragged / pulled by the arm / other appendage should the need arise. We go a lot of places as a family - so hopefully mom could wrangle both kids...

You can tell how long it's been since I've had to tote a toddler around I guess.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I did not change any. The kids knew pretty young that Dad has a gun on if we are out and about, and also that it was for the protection of the family and not to be discussed with their friends. I OC a lot at home so the kids don't pay any attention to it anymore now that they are 13 and 11.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    My daughter learned pretty early how to avoid banging her head on my edc. It has taken a little more time to have her quit pointing out the no guns allowed signs when we go into places. As an answer to your question, no nothing changed as far as what I carry.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    It has taken a little more time to have her quit pointing out the no guns allowed signs when we go into places.

My son does that, and when we are in lines at the restaurant or store, he sometimes will feel around my belt line to see if I am carrying and try to guess which one I have on. That kid cant keep a secret to save his life! ;) I think he does it to get attention, but a good stare typically makes him stop.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    After watching the video of the family attacked in the their SUV by the group on motorcycles in NY I started to carry a full size handgun, I have a seven year old son and he knows I carry and also very well aware of why I carry. There is times that I actually carry my full size handgun with a backup with two spare mags for the full size handgun, I learn the lesson about having a good belt and a good holster can make a huge difference. If anything having my son with me actually made me more aware of my surroundings and more alert.

John317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My wife is expecting in about 6-8 weeks and I have had this conversation/debate with several of my pro-gun friends the past few months. I had saved up some cash over the last few years and was in the market for a new firearm. I carry a full size PX4 (CC), but being a full size pistol when I pick up something up it will usually show- I was concerned about what type of reaction I would get especially any sort of negative reaction. In the end it came down to when it comes to protecting my family why should I be concerned about a possible negative reaction to something when I'm not doing anything wrong or illegal. Ended up picking up a S&W MP 15-22 to have something I can shoot whenever I have some free time and not break the bank. I have a 5.56 STAG rifle so figured the this would provide a good training platform and keep the cost down when putting a bunch of rounds down range. I still want a S&W Shield (what the option would have but its not a priority as any extra money is going towards getting everything we need for the little one.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I carried a 1911 when my kids needed carried, it was a major PITA. I no longer own a 1911 and own a g19 and a g26 for carry. I carry in a serpa with a baggy shirt most of the time.

My 5 year old mentioned my gun in public one time. Gave him the look, and told him to never mention my firearm when we got to the vehicle. Told him it was for our protection, and was no one else's business. He hasn't mentioned it unless we were home now.

Best bet is to desensitize them to the novelty young. I have a 12 gauge leaning in the corner for this reason. Kids don't even touch it. Should probably also say that all the ammo is locked up for it, and the defensive guns are on our hip or in a quick access safe.

rjklein4470

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Carmel
    Just the opposite. Once I had kids I went to a full size P226 9mm, then I switched to P226 .357 sig. If there is a active shooter I want a hot round.

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    As a single father I carry all the time.. I have "upgraded" from my XDs to a 1911 for the weekends. The biggest issue was getting my son to stop talking about my gun when we are out.
    The other day I was at the local Gander and he decided to pull up my shirt and see if I was carrying.
    At least he's stopped talking about my gun very loudly.

Also He's learned that my strong side is NOT fun to get carried or walk on. He's bumped his head on my 1911 quite a few times by not paying attention.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    The protective mindset with kids: I think it is more relevant to learn to shoot with shooting pains that radiate down your arm and cramps in your back from holding kids, and not having slept. Your situational awareness training will need to include constantly being distracted, where to drop your coffee from your strong hand before drawing so that it doesn't burn one of the kids, and constantly upgrading where you can step in your home without puncturing a hole in your foot from a toy.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I dont see why having kids would cause anything firearm wise other than have you rethink if you have the best choice of firearm to defend them. I used to carry subcompacts like glock 26s and XD subs but now Im carrying 1911 governments. My two oldest kids (8 and 10) love shooting my 1911s more than any other handguns Ive owned which makes me like 1911s even more. It takes some getting used to drawing and moving with a kid in your arms. Coincidently I was practicing draws today holding my 3 month old (using 1911 airsoft gun of course).

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I (we) actually went from revolvers to semi-autos after having kids! I really don't like the idea of 'cocked-n-locked' in the house with younger children (ages 5, 6, and 9)...and with the semi-auto's, we carry / store with and empty chamber...but downsize, no!

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Why downsize because of the children?
    Maybe invest in a more comfortable holster or carry system that work's better for you.
    I got a maxpedition "fat boy" bag that I sometimes carry with the kids.
    Most people think it's a camera bag or just don't think at all. I got the dark blue one, and it looks pretty innocent (unlike the green, tan, or black which look like gun-toting bags IMHO)
    I have my glock 19 in there with extra mags, flashlight, wallet, wet wipes, multi-tool, phone, anti-bacterial stuff, kleenex, etc...
    Pretty handy and comfortable to wear. I can't draw from it quite as quick as a holster, but with some practice it's not too bad.

Top Bottom