Double Barrel Sexiness good for home defense your thoughts ???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Street Howitzer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2013
    South Bend
    +1 go with the option of more ammo. 2 just aint enough IMO. You don't have much of a backup plan if theres more than 2 guys or you miss once or twice. Then it just becomes a stick to get beaten with. I extended the tube on my Benelli and added a side saddle for HD.:naughty:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Secondary issue with side by sides is sighting: They have crossover points for shot. I've seen some miss completely at 15-25yards plus with slugs and buck due to this.

Good point, and often overlooked. Isn't the "traditional" crossover at 40y or so? I suppose shorter barrels would draw that in, though.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If one were to go with a longer, heavier, slower to the target long gun, I would certainly go with the carbine. The double fills the gap between the carbine and the (24/7) handgun quite well.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Good point, and often overlooked. Isn't the "traditional" crossover at 40y or so? I suppose shorter barrels would draw that in, though.

Traditionally yes, and the cut down does cause that. I've seen cheaper side by sides (like the cheap Coach guns from Russia) have almost no crossover at all, making them pretty much straight tubes. Misses with slugs, combined with small parts failure reports online make them an beautiful and cost attractive, but iffy prospect.

I want a shotgun to be good for long and short range, not a single purpose gun.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    general consensus is it's good if that's all there is - much better than a sharp stick!
    Many (myself included) would like more rounds in a similarly sized package. BUT, it's your house and you use what you like most.
    I will definitively say that I like the SxS exactly twice as much as a like a single shot! ;)

EthanRoberts45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I've got my trusty Mossberg 500 bedside. But I do appreciate the aesthetics of an SxS. I'd want mine chopped off a bit though for the old Allan Badillion Trehearn factor.

Top Bottom