• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I can't reach the dead center of the roof even when I open the door and stand on the edge. It's dang close, though. Enough not to be as problematic as the people who don't clean ANYthing off. And no, you don't have to tailgate to take a windshield full of their roof-snow. That **** goes air-born and if the bottom is dense ice, it can crack your windshield like a rock would. It's not always just fluffy snow.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    How exactly does one go about cleaning off the roof of a van that has luggage racks?
    I've been driving in this crap all week and the VAST majority of the cars guilty of the OP's observations have no luggage racks, those vehicles I understand. They are cars and other small vehicles where the driver was too lazy to take a few minutes to clean off their car. In fact, many of them just clean a very small peep hole in the windshield and that is it. I don't hate them, I just shake my head. I shake my head at sooooooooo many drivers this week. Drivers that feel that to prevent getting stuck on a slick bridge, one must spin the FWD tires so fast as to create a white cloud obscuring said bridge from view. Drivers that see my flashing red/blue lights as I shut a bridge down and figure it means all they have to do is go around me. Or the driver of a 4x4 yelling at me for shutting down the bridge saying that since he has a 4x4 he should be allowed to pass. Or the driver of the car traveling in front of me as we both go 25mph in a straight line and for some unknown reason starts spinning out of control. How the hell does that happen? I have seen cars off the road at angles and positions that leave you scratching your head. I don't HATE anyone but this week was awful and my view of drivers has dimmed.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Denny, I hear you on the random spins. I have seen people go from straight and steady to out of control for no reason. Yesterday though I was driving and there was a ridge of hard-packed snow that I hit with my tire while Driving straight. It moved the car in front of me about 3' left, and me nearly as much. I think a lot of it is random high spots of ice in the road that act as a mini pivot-point. Doesn't take much to get something spinning in those conditions.

a month ago my wife saw a car sitting half in the intersection waiting to turn left. Another car had pulled out behind it too. The light turned red, and the first car put it in reverse, slammed the gas, spun the tires, and smacked into the front of the car behind it. Strangest thing. I'm surprised your view of drivers isn't dim already. They are the same ones you see at Walmart :)

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I dislike it. Even if you aren't following that close, the wind picks it up and can hit your car. If they can clean everything else, why not the roof.
    Because the roof is about 7-8' AGL and even standing with the door open I can't get it all. I can't even get all of my windshield with an extending scraper.

We put tarps on our cars to keep the bulk of the snow off the main parts, it really isn't that difficult to pull them off with the snow on them either and helps a ton with the ice.

Only costs at most 10 bucks too, and maybe 5 minutes of your time.

For a car maybe. For a full size crew cab truck with a lift, not so much.
    Get a "Snow Brum". It takes all of 30 secs to de-snow a vehicle. Works wonderfully. This is what car dealer use to de-snow their lot quickly.

it took me 15 minutes to clean off the truck yesterday. 12" of snow across that much surface area doesn't get "brumed" off in seconds. Particularly when the bottom 3" were packed and more like ice.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Denny, I hear you on the random spins. I have seen people go from straight and steady to out of control for no reason. Yesterday though I was driving and there was a ridge of hard-packed snow that I hit with my tire while Driving straight. It moved the car in front of me about 3' left, and me nearly as much. I think a lot of it is random high spots of ice in the road that act as a mini pivot-point. Doesn't take much to get something spinning in those conditions.

a month ago my wife saw a car sitting half in the intersection waiting to turn left. Another card had pulled out behind it too. The light turned red, and the first car put it in reversed, slammed the gas, spun the tires, and smacked into the front of the car behind it. Strangest thing. I'm surprised your view of drivers isn't dim already. They are the same ones you see at Walmart :)

Oh I know, I about spun out running hot to a burglary to a house in progress 2 days ago...turned out being a prank call. But the one I saw was pre-ruts. I was right behind them. I think they just lost control. The snow just brings my already dim view, even lower. Many drivers have no business driving in snow, it seems to beyond their understanding.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Because the roof is about 7-8' AGL and even standing with the door open I can't get it all. I can't even get all of my windshield with an extending scraper.

For a car maybe. For a full size crew cab truck with a lift, not so much.

it took me 15 minutes to clean off the truck yesterday. 12" of snow across that much surface area doesn't get "brumed" off in seconds. Particularly when the bottom 3" were packed and more like ice.

Yeah, you let it sit, you are screwed. Loose snow on a roof doesn't really bother me. It's the ice that does. Nothing like a huge chunk of ice getting blown off the roof, hood, trunk, and into my windshield. That is some scary stuff.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    ^^^^ This ^^^^

I'm amazed at the condition people drive their vehicles in. How lazy can you be to not bother to clean your windows enough to drive safely. It's just more proof that critical thinking skills are a dying thing in this world.
    That and people who don't clean off their headlights and brake lights.

Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    The roof or trunk is one thing. Those who don't clear their window to see are just plane idiots. Why would you not want a clear view of everything around you as you would on a sunny day? I prefer to see what's going on around me, particularly when every other moron is a potential out of control heavy metal missile.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    The snow on the roof does not bother me in the least, I think they are lazy but whatever I dont have to live with them. Now if they dont clear their windows and drive 15mph down highway switching lanes cause they can barely see where the road itself it... That is when I get annoyed, If I wasnt a nice guy I would give them a nice plow tap LOL

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    How exactly does one go about cleaning off the roof of a van that has luggage racks?

The post right above yours works, or just a regular broom. It might take some time, but when the weather dictates, you have to respond accordingly by taking extra time and precautions. I feel for people that have tall vehicles and/or luggage racks, but that doesn't exempt them from having to clean their vehicles appropriately. I've almost been in a couple of different accidents from snow blowing off the roof of vehicles in front of me and have actually seen an accident caused by it. It's a PITA, but climbing on a step-stool and knocking the snow off with a broom or something doesn't really take long. When I parked outside when I lived in MN, I did it almost every day in the winter.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    I leave the snow on my roof so people won't follow too close.
    The other day when it was -14 I had to drive my diesel truck to work. Almost the whole way there, there was a car probably 20-30 feet behind me. Once at work, in the break room there is this woman complaining that she was behind "one of those big trucks with 4 tires in the back" and "I couldn't breathe because the exhaust was coming in my defroster, I mean, who puts those things on the road anyway?" My co-worker is listening to her and staring right at me… so I ask her if it had a tailgate on it ("I don't remember") and what color was it ("I couldn't tell, there was snow blowing all in my face from it") Why people want to tailgate on iced up, drifted over country roads is beyond me.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    On my truck, I cant clear the roof (because I was a hobbit in a past life), even with an extendable brush. Though even if I could I would probably leave it on cause I like watching the cloud of snow blow off.

Top Bottom