• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    My 2015 Tacoma doesn't even have a chipped key. I've always been under the impression what goes on inside it stays inside of it; kinda like that Vegas thing.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    When I start my 2017 GMC I get a message that the truck WIFI is now active. I don't have the onstar subscription but still get emails from the truck (via GM) if i have a low tire or any other issue. I also get a monthly email showing how all my systems are doing, like oil life fuel milage, tire pressure, etc. Yes they do have cellular connected modems and do communicate.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Nearly every vehicle sold now days has a cellular modem built in so they can sell you all sorts of subscription services.

That said I don't think anyone but tesla is collecting the type of data that the OP is asking about. Certainly not with the aim of sending it to the emissions police. If a warranty claim is filed they will likely check the programming and equipment but I wouldn't expect them to go digging beyond that.
    If you have a Tesla, you don't need mods. Quick!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    A 1965 F100 with a straight six (300, not a 240) and a 3-speed on a column is sounding pretty good right now.
    Okay, I may have driven a 3 on the tree once or twice at the most, and it's been at least 45 years, but let me see if I remember...
    Reverse = up and back (left)
    1st = down and back (left)
    2nd = up (forward) and right
    3rd = down (right)

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    When I start my 2017 GMC I get a message that the truck WIFI is now active. I don't have the onstar subscription but still get emails from the truck (via GM) if i have a low tire or any other issue. I also get a monthly email showing how all my systems are doing, like oil life fuel milage, tire pressure, etc. Yes they do have cellular connected modems and do communicate.
    I thought so.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Okay, I may have driven a 3 on the tree once or twice at the most, and it's been at least 45 years, but let me see if I remember...
    Reverse = up and back (left)
    1st = down and back (left)
    2nd = up (forward) and right
    3rd = down (right)
    They were really easy since gravity worked in your favor.

I was maybe 17 last time I drove one (early first term Reagan Administration for those wondering...) I'm thinking 1973 F100 Explorer (trim level between Sport Custom and Ranger) with a 302. Metallic green, sharp truck and easy to drive.

Many years later (1997) in Iceland of all places a 3 on the tree comes into play once again. A Euro-specs mini/work van (Scania IIRC) which belonged to a contractor doing something at our Radar Site was in front of an overhead door my troop needed to get through. The contractor tells him the keys are in it. My troop (maybe 22) comes back in freaking out. "It's an automatic, but there's a clutch and it's not in park" was pretty much what he said. I went out and explained the 3-speed on the column to him, vehicle moved without incident.

OK, one more. I worked with a MSgt back in the late-90s (retired after 24 years in 99, great Senior NCO) who was from somewhere no one ever heard of in West Virginia. She said she never drove a car with an automatic until she was in the USAF, drove her Grandpa's old Chevy pickup with a 3 on the column in high school. She was in Singapore (they drive on the left side of the road) and got in a right-hand drive, 3 speed on the column vehicle during a big exercise called Commando Sling. She said it was so embarrassing, she couldn't get it out of the parking lot.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I still want to know if they have capability to shut down the truck if someone alters or changes performance and or emissions...
    Legally I don't believe they can, but the tech is there.

I've had the ability to start, lock, unlock, locate and sound the panic alarm from my phone on my '16 F150, '19 Ram and '20 Chevy. All for just a few bucks a month.

As someone else said above, Onstar sends a monthly email with a "vehicle health report" and ads to get service done at the dealer. Big brother is here and if you drive a lot... you can't avoid it!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I have a 2019 Camry (Baller, I know)

I've probably had a dozen updates pushed out to the car from Toyota. The infotainment system will let me know that an update awaits. It will download without being tethered to my phone via blue tooth.

Have y'all not been paying attention to all the "comes with X-GB of cellular data / subscribe for more" information that comes with cars in the last, oh, 8 years or so?

You'd be foolish to think that vehicles that can do this / OnStar / T-Connect / Starlink / etc don't already sent all kinds of metadata back to their motherships.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    There are commercials showing onstar and whoever else shutting vehicles down that have been stolen or used in a crime so I know the capabilities are there. Legally I don't think they should be able to just because they don't like something you are doing. Now I have seen articles about vehicles getting repossessed if the owner still has a loan on the vehicle and the buyer makes modifications to the vehicle. They said since the vehicle isn't paid off the finance company still legally owns the vehicle and the buyer is under breach of contract for modifying a vehicle they don't own outright.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If concerned about remote connectivity, the simplest solution is to find the cellular module and simply unplug the antenna. If equipped, some vehicles will also connect to your home's wifi network if you allow it but that too is easily prevented.

Top Bottom