• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Now do I have this correct? You own a 2019 250/2500 diesel, you use it to work pulling trailers etc. you also truck pull or similar for fun, and you power it up with different chips, fuel pump etc.

Is this truck reporting to the mothership (manufacturers or government) that it is modified and emissions are altered?

Has the truck been programmed to shut down or limit function if connection to the mothership is terminated?

What poison pills are they putting in new trucks?

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    A scan of the ECM is the only way that I'm aware of that can show if there has been any tuning done. Besides the obvious modifications and billowing black of smoke.

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    Insurance companies love it when you have their tracking device plugged in under the guise of giving you discounts for being a "safe" driver. But HOW much info are they getting? My insurance company now wants me to download an app instead of using the plug in device so they can track me via my cell phone. "Idontneeurstinkingdiscount" No plug-in, no app, and my phone will be turned off when I'm driving. I'M NOT PARANOID! I KNOW FOR A FACT THEY'RE AFTER ME!

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Short answer, yeah.

Not sure if Ford does it live, but other manufacturers can. I am absolutely sure they can pull EPROM data at the dealership (when you go in for service, or for warranty work) that shows if the tune (or any other setting) has been tampered with. They have been pulling THAT info for years.

We also know manufacturers can remote control some features/functions. Have been for years GM and OnStar, for example, can remote start, lock/unlock, and even remote kill. I suspect Fiat can with uConnect as well.

Cars/trucks now come with "terms of service" much like any other hardware/software. Using the service is tacit agreement. The aftermarket is putting up a HUGE fight, but so are the OEMs.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Don’t connect your phone. No way for ET to phone home
    Nearly every vehicle sold now days has a cellular modem built in so they can sell you all sorts of subscription services.

That said I don't think anyone but tesla is collecting the type of data that the OP is asking about. Certainly not with the aim of sending it to the emissions police. If a warranty claim is filed they will likely check the programming and equipment but I wouldn't expect them to go digging beyond that.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    A scan of the ECM is the only way that I'm aware of that can show if there has been any tuning done. Besides the obvious modifications and billowing black of smoke.
    Drove a new GM truck recently and it had LTE and bars showing power on the display just like a smart phone. Which leads me to another question, have they navigated away from satellite for on star to cellular connection so they can sell stuff and monitor the vehicle.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If they want to they can know your location, direction of travel, speed and your destination if you're using onboard GPS. They can also listen to your conversations in the vehicle or on your phone. If you use the technology your privacy is nonexistent.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Drove a new GM truck recently and it had LTE and bars showing power on the display just like a smart phone. Which leads me to another question, have they navigated away from satellite for on star to cellular connection so they can sell stuff and monitor the vehicle.
    I actually didn't know they had that ability, I thought it was through a bluetooth connection or subscription with your cellular provider. I still would doubt that the entertainment is hooked to the ECM, I would guess it is in the BCM . But I could easily be wrong

I would be curious if you could shut of the GPS and stuff with a tune. I don't see why you couldn't.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    “The thing that car manufacturers realize now is that they’re not only hardware companies anymore — they’re software companies,” said Lisa Joy Rosner, chief marketing officer of Otonomo, a company that sells connected-car data, sharing the profits with automakers. “The first space shuttle contained 500,000 lines of software code, but compare that to Ford’s projection that by 2020 their vehicles will contain 100 million lines of code. These vehicles are becoming turbocharged spaceships if you think of them from a purely horsepower perspective.”

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Now do I have this correct? You own a 2019 250/2500 diesel, you use it to work pulling trailers etc. you also truck pull or similar for fun, and you power it up with different chips, fuel pump etc.

Is this truck reporting to the mothership (manufacturers or government) that it is modified and emissions are altered?

Has the truck been programmed to shut down or limit function if connection to the mothership is terminated?

What poison pills are they putting in new trucks?

Yet anothe reason I keep using my truck that is over 20 yo

cb46184

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    May 10, 2016
    New Whiteland
    Nearly every vehicle sold now days has a cellular modem built in so they can sell you all sorts of subscription services.

That said I don't think anyone but tesla is collecting the type of data that the OP is asking about. Certainly not with the aim of sending it to the emissions police. If a warranty claim is filed they will likely check the programming and equipment but I wouldn't expect them to go digging beyond that.
    My Chevy is OnStar equipped and even though I don't have an active subscription I believe THEY can access it anytime they want for tracking or other info. Come to think of it, I need to figure out how to disable that crap.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    If your vehicle is equipped to do anything via an app on your phone then yes, the big brother has complete access to your vehicle and its information. Although vehicles dont really store much data unless there is a problem. And yes every single computer and module are working together and sharing data. You can cancel your onstar or whatever subscription but its still going to feed live data to whoever has im assuming the IP Address. Not sure how else they could connect.

For instance, when i changed tire size i changed the parameters in the ECM/TCM to the new size. The truck freaked out within a mile of driving. Im talking non-stop dinging, brake and abs light, and CEL. For a simple tire size change using EFI live. Did some digging, turns out the ABS module and the BCM also needed the new tire size and those can inly be modified via a Tech 2 scanner. Took it in, had the dealership do their thing and its fine. My truck is 14 years old and the technology was that advanced, think of what they have out there today...

Top Bottom