Does swapping a scope between guns work?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I just ordered myself a new scope for my Ruger 10/22 that I can also use on my RRA AR-15 being built. Says it has a quick release mount and I am wondering if anyone else has this particular model and would like to hear experience from people who switch a scope between more than one gun. Do you run into problems with alignment at all? Any scope I had up to now was dedicated to only one gun and never moved so this will be a first time doing this.

cdnn_2041_21494567

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/cdnn_2041_21494567

cdnn_2041_46236880

[FONT=arial, helvetica]
    cdnn_2037_18669760
    Brand New • Target Sports Mark III 4x32 Tactical Scope with Quick Release Weaver Style/Picatinny Mounting System • Open Target Turrets • Fully Multi-Coated Lenses • Built In Sunshade • Quick Focus Eyepiece • Illuminated Red or Green Mil Dot Reticle • 3-Brightness Levels • 6.63" Overall Length • 1/2" MOA Adjustments • 3" Eye Relief
    [/FONT]

TAR122
    trans_1x1.gif
    cdnn_2041_40014433

Last edited:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    The problem is that it's extremely unlikely that zeroing it for one gun will also leave it zeroed for the other.

following2dp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    Keep a notebook log of how many clicks clockwise/counterclockwise on your horizontal/ vertical between firearms, just make sure to log which one you switched last to.
    If you go from an AR to a Ruger, make a note saying it is on Ruger Settings, and when you switch back make a note that your on AR settings.
    If do this you are less likely to screw it up.
    If the quick detach is of high quality, it should hold zero.
    I own an EoTech with a GG&G throwlever that works very well.

I've read an article about a rifle scope, a very expensive rifle scope, that had a digital computer built into it.
    You could save 5? 6? 7? different settings into it. It sounded really niftey, however, the price was way out of my league.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I thought that you would have to rezero

The problem is that it's extremely unlikely that zeroing it for one gun will also leave it zeroed for the other.

I figured that I would have to rezero when I changed guns. I am not sure I could record how many clicks I had to adjust from gun one to gun two and that would get me pretty close. I will be shooting 100 yards or less so sighting in should not be a big chore. Guess it is worth a try to save some $$$. If it doesn't work the scope is not that expensive for me to buy another. Thanks for the input.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    While the zero will be off, the realignment process should not take very many rounds. Cheap scope's from the factory are usually way off, making for damn near 100 round sight in affairs only to find out your zero is jumping due to a cheap mount. But swapping them from an already zeroed gun to another should not take long to get your zero back.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Anyone ever try a laser you put in the chamber?

While the zero will be off, the realignment process should not take very many rounds. Cheap scope's from the factory are usually way off, making for damn near 100 round sight in affairs only to find out your zero is jumping due to a cheap mount. But swapping them from an already zeroed gun to another should not take long to get your zero back.

I see that they make lasers that go in like a bullet for sighting in guns. Do they work at all?

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I swap my ACOG TA11 between my AR and 10/22 all the time. The zero is close enough (by sheer luck) that I've used the 10/22 on a 100yd silhouette range and steel, and then put it back on the AR and shoot >1 MOA at 300 yds.

Just try and find out. You may get lucky.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Scope

I bet with a set of Tally QD mounts and a Fullfield II™ Quad Scope , you would be a very happy shooter. I switch my Leupold between my 270 and 338 with a 6x, and it works fine. If you want to see it, I'll bring it over next week.

harmonyaudio

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    scope swapping

Should work OK if you dont mind re-zeroing every time you switch. Would be best to use a gun that you dont shoot a lot to minimize this issue.

Top Bottom