• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    In short "YES!!!!!" with a capital Y E S.

There are several things to think about with this. The first is I am mainly giong to be focusing on Jesus, since he is God and God in heaven does not need a gun to defend himself.

Jesus didnt have to have a weapon because he could call all the angels at any moment.

As posted already see below.
    Luke 22:36-38 (New International Version)

36He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37It is written: 'And he was numbered with the transgressors'[a]; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment." 38The disciples said, "See, Lord, here are two swords."
    "That is enough," he replied.

First Jesus did not suggest a sword he told them to get a sword. Second you must look back to the origional text for direct translation. I personally do not know how to read Greek, Hebrew, or Aramaic, but I do know some that do. In this instance Sword is not they type of sword that a lot of us have hanging on a wall. Some swords in this time were long, the one this is reffering to is a large knife used for killing animals and tearing flesh. It was meant to be an instrument of distruction.

On the topic of Murder.

The fifth commandment is pretty clear as to murder being wrong. Once again go back to the origional text. Murder is the simple taking a life of a human being (not an animal, hunting is cool with Jesus!). If you are in grave danger and do not defend yourself you are murdering yourself by default, a sin.

There are several exambles of killing in the bible that is justafiable and therefore not a sin. The one that really sticks out is David and Goliath. The killing was in self defense.

schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Lizton, IN (Hendricks County)
    This may **** some people off, but I view god and religion the way Thomas Jefferson does. "I belong to a sect of one" My beliefs in the Almighty is my religion and is not and does not have to be shared by anyone else. That’s the problem with this world, there are too many religions all fighting one another over the same crap. Instead people need to just believe in God and get on with their lives. Now that being said, YES my view is that he whole hearted supports it. He supports it as S.D. and supports it as a deterrent to tyrants. Because tyrants stifle the worship of him, As the Egyptians did to the Jews.

Further is you don’t hold my “liberal” views on religion, I still think the answer is yes, for all the reason other post has held.

Cbarnett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Earth
    If you're talking about the god/gods in the holy bible - it sounds like he/she/they approve of it.

Last edited:

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    This may **** some people off, but I view god and religion the way Thomas Jefferson does. "I belong to a sect of one" My beliefs in the Almighty is my religion and is not and does not have to be shared by anyone else. That’s the problem with this world, there are too many religions all fighting one another over the same crap. Instead people need to just believe in God and get on with their lives. Now that being said, YES my view is that he whole hearted supports it. He supports it as S.D. and supports it as a deterrent to tyrants. Because tyrants stifle the worship of him, As the Egyptians did to the Jews.

Further is you don’t hold my “liberal” views on religion, I still think the answer is yes, for all the reason other post has held.

I disagree.

In
    2 Timothy 4

1In the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who will judge the living and the dead, and in view of his appearing and his kingdom, I give you this charge: 2Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction. 3For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. 4They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. 5But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.

This does not mean to cram your beliefs down the throat of others; however it does not condone keeping your beliefs to yourself. I believe from scripture I have the responsibility to share my beliefs in a teaching manor to others.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Thanks to Jesus, we now have only two commandments.

Matthew 22:37–40 (NIV)
    37 Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two

Do I think God would want me to take another human life, even if it's self defence. I say no.
    But I also know he will forgive me if I do.

Well said. We often forget that Jesus fullfied the Law of Moses.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    I think this settles it...:):

2mmirh2.jpg

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Don't most 1911 owners hold John Moses Browning to *about* the same level as Jesus anyway??

:D

He is pretty high on the list of people that are welll amazing, however I fault him for not anticipated the Glock and mandating that all 1911's be ingraved with "Real handguns are not made from plastic"

:cheers::cheers:

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    TO ALL WHO POSTED IN THIS THREAD:

thank you for your posts. i am not using god in any way to justify my carrying a gun, i just simply choose to do so. i wanted to ask those of you that do carry what your opinions were on this subject. i asked a friend who knows a lot more than me on god who said he sees nothing wrong with it.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I think He gave us the ability to think for ourselves. On the other hand though, He also wants us to submit and trust Him in all things and for all things. There has to be a balance; and, when we get to thinking we are self-sufficient in our methods and actions then we have stepped across the border into doing our own thing. Again, balance is needed.

Another thought; the Lord also established the male as the head of the home.
    Protector, provider and the one to be the leader spiritually submitting to God and teaching his family to do the same.

Be a leader in all areas and He will be pleased.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I would say He gave some of us the ability to think for ourselves but it seems to be a very small percentage of the general population and the Government doesn't like people who think for themselves these days.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    To twist the question around, does the second amendment believe in God?

The right to keep and bear arms was not granted in this amendment. The right was preexisting and this amendment sought to preserve it and protect it from infringement. If the right already existed, where did it come from?
    I believe it was endowed to us by our creator.
    The framers knew that a future government would tread upon this "God given" right in order to control and rule. They preempted this with a mandate to preserve (rather than grant) the most natural fundamental right that comes with life. Liberty and the pursuit of happiness? Not without life.
    There are situations in which I would lay down my life. There are choices I could make to relinquish or forfeit my rights. Notice the responsibility is mine. I am accountable for the life I have been given and for those who entrust me to lead and protect.
    The right was given by a "higher court." Wise men acknowledged this and still do today.

:)

Last edited:

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    First, thanks Pami for locating and posting that info.

Second, had Peter been a little more profecient with his weapon he could have taken the guy's head off instead of an ear. Of course Christ would have just restored the guy's head and told Peter to put the sword away.

At any time he could have called ten thousand angels, made his rainy days sunny, or even returned to Heaven prior to his untimely death because of our refusal to accept him but he didn't.

He knows we live in a savage world and the age that we live in is especially savage. He knows what we face and he will protect us but he expects us to do our part. He feeds me and supplies my needs but he expects me to do my part as long as I am able. Self defense....YES.

Top Bottom