• ...and so much more!
  • Trimsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 2, 2024
    North Vernon
    IMG_4802.jpg
    I know that I am more than capable of throwing a round off target, believe me, I know. My old single shot is well rested, equipped with enough magnification to see what's going on.

With that being said, take note of the last shot in the second row, fourth shot in the third row as well as the stray (fourth shot) in the five shot group.
    I am confident that I was on target pre & post shot.
    Even with TenX or Midas, I see the same thing, not a soften though.
    With all that being said, does anybody sort by weight and/or rim thickness? If you do, can you tell a difference?

edwea

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    I used to, but still got the occasional flyer. That was across a variety of ammo including eley, sk, Lapua, norma, etc. I don't sort anymore. I think my bench shooting technique has improved over the last several years of practice and notice a decrease in flyers. I think in my case the flyers were me more than the ammo. That looks like a fun target. Do you have a link to download it? I'd like to try it.

Trimsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 2, 2024
    North Vernon
    I used to, but still got the occasional flyer. That was across a variety of ammo including eley, sk, Lapua, norma, etc. I don't sort anymore. I think my bench shooting technique has improved over the last several years of practice and notice a decrease in flyers. I think in my case the flyers were me more than the ammo. That looks like a fun target. Do you have a link to download it? I'd like to try it.
    Thanks! I just posted it. Let me know if you can't access the PDF. I'm knew to this format.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    OP: I love to see other people being OCD about their ammo. I trust that you also will not abide a mixed up box of ammo with cartridges randomly placed in irregular rows!
    Best of Luck! :ingo:

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    There was a video about sorting from years back. The guy sorted by many variables, brands and in the end, it did matter. You'd think the same concept for loading center fire applies to rim fire, but it didn't.

Reactions: Leo

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Sorting sometimes works, and other times does not. This is per several folks on both RimfireCentral and SnipersHide who have a good bit of experience.

Most fliers not attributable to the shooter are from a variety of manufacturing inconsistencies. More or less lube on the bullet, lack of concentricity when the bullet is crimped into the case, how the priming compound dries unevenly, or there’s a marginally different amount of primer, powder, etc. Rimfire ammo is tricky to make with the same level of consistency as centerfire, especially at the production levels it’s made at.

Additionally, a lot of the “lower tier” ammos such as Center-X and Eley Match are really just lots that were initially run as something like XAct or Tenex that didn’t meet performance specs during testing. That’s why sometimes these “lower level” lines of ammo shoot amazingly well, because they’re really the higher-tier stuff that failed to meet spec on a spot check but you may have bought part of the lot that DID perform to spec, or dang close.

Anyway, sort all you want if it makes you feel better. Sometimes it might help, sometimes it might not. Your best bet is really to buy the highest quality ammo you can afford if you’re looking for the highest level of performance. Everything else is a gamble.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I measured and sorted rimfire match ammo for a while.

There is a gauge system that measures the rim thickness. This does two things, makes sure the priming compound is uniform and it regulates the bullet to leede distance. I did get some really good targets with ammo sorted to have the thinnest rim heights. Since they were shot in standard 4 position, I cannot prove that it was the ammo or if I was having a great day, but I kept sorting. Top tier rimfire ammo which was about $18 / box had a lot more uniform dimensions than common ammo.

Trimsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 2, 2024
    North Vernon
    Sorting sometimes works, and other times does not. This is per several folks on both RimfireCentral and SnipersHide who have a good bit of experience.

Most fliers not attributable to the shooter are from a variety of manufacturing inconsistencies. More or less lube on the bullet, lack of concentricity when the bullet is crimped into the case, how the priming compound dries unevenly, or there’s a marginally different amount of primer, powder, etc. Rimfire ammo is tricky to make with the same level of consistency as centerfire, especially at the production levels it’s made at.

Additionally, a lot of the “lower tier” ammos such as Center-X and Eley Match are really just lots that were initially run as something like XAct or Tenex that didn’t meet performance specs during testing. That’s why sometimes these “lower level” lines of ammo shoot amazingly well, because they’re really the higher-tier stuff that failed to meet spec on a spot check but you may have bought part of the lot that DID perform to spec, or dang close.

Anyway, sort all you want if it makes you feel better. Sometimes it might help, sometimes it might not. Your best bet is really to buy the highest quality ammo you can afford if you’re looking for the highest level of performance. Everything else is a gamble.
    Thanks for the input.

Trimsaw

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 2, 2024
    North Vernon
    I measured and sorted rimfire match ammo for a while.

There is a gauge system that measures the rim thickness. This does two things, makes sure the priming compound is uniform and it regulates the bullet to leede distance. I did get some really good targets with ammo sorted to have the thinnest rim heights. Since they were shot in standard 4 position, I cannot prove that it was the ammo or if I was having a great day, but I kept sorting. Top tier rimfire ammo which was about $18 / box had a lot more uniform dimensions than common ammo.
    Thanks!

Top Bottom