Does anyone own a James River “Battle Worn” Galil Rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I really do not like the looks of the newly refinished Galil rifles that have come out, but I am intrigued by the “battle worn” varieties that are now for sale. Does anyone here own one, and what do you think? Does anyone own ANY of the James River Galil rifles, and what do you think about them? Thanks

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    IUkalash429 posted one in the AK show n tell recently. Battle worn for sure. I wonder if it's a kit gun or built off a US receiver or possibly a James River. I know there's mixed opinions on James River built guns. Most on negative side that I've read. I'd like to have a Galil SAR kit gun for nostalgia purposes although it could it help me find a purpose for those 2k rounds of 223 wolf I have laying around

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    Thanks, @NyleRN.

Mine is a BFPU SAR from Atlantic, built by Southern Tactical. I've steered away from JRA builds over the years due to their wildly mixed opinions in the AK community, so I can't comment on them firsthand. I will say that Classic Firearms really does a good job of "upselling" its wares. They take a lot of liberties with their descriptions.

To me, "battle worn" sounds like "yeah we didn't do anything to the old parts." It sounds like the US receiver and barrel are finished but the Israeli parts are as-is. That's essentially the same as BFPU, but I will say that Southern Tactical did a fantastic job wearing the US parts to match the heavily worn surplus parts. And if you don't like the new finish, you can always use a scouring pad or Scotch Brite sponge to wear it off the metal a bit.

Posted elsewhere, but here's my Southern Tactical SAR...

20230824_165002.jpg

Last edited:

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Thanks, @NyleRN.

Mine is a BFPU SAR from Atlantic, built by Southern Tactical. I've steered away from JRA builds over the years due to their wildly mixed opinions in the AK community, so I can't comment on them firsthand. I will say that Classic Firearms really does a good job of "upselling" its wares. They take a lot of liberties with their descriptions.

To me, "battle worn" sounds like "yeah we didn't do anything to the old parts." It sounds like the US receiver and barrel are finished but the Israeli parts are as-is. That's essentially the same as BFPU, but I will say that Southern Tactical did a fantastic job wearing the US parts to match the heavily worn surplus parts. And if you don't like the new finish, you can always use a scouring pad or Scotch Brite sponge to wear it off the metal a bit.

Posted elsewhere, but here's my Southern Tactical SAR...

View attachment 299260
    What, no bottle opener?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom