• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Actually it doesn't matter a lick! An adopted child is legally no different than a biological child. My oldest is adopted, in the eyes of the law she is no different than my children who are the "fruit of my loins"

Perhaps you mean is the child a foster child? It would matter then because a foster child is a Ward of the State, and therefore the State makes the decisions.
    Yep, My typo, trying to post and work at the same time. Meant foster not adopted.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I find it hard to believe that the doctors are suing to treat this kid.

If I am reading the article correctly, the doctors did not file the suit. They only recommended a treatment. When that treatment was refused, the STATE Dept. of Human Services filed suit.

This is 100% about the rights of a parent, and a State attempting to intervene where they have NO business.

insanemonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Lake County
    An article probably does not give the whole story. Based on the information in it, I would say the state needs to get a life and leave them alone. The parents are responsible for their kid. They have to live with the decision not the doctors. Doctors do test and treatments just to cover them selves, all the time. I would not make my son go through anymore then needed. Why allow them to subject your child to more pain then needed?

The bad thing is if they try to physically protect their kid, if the courts rule stupidly, then they will be painted as bad parents. The media will get a hold of the story and it will turn into a gun wielding psycho who the state had to stop to protect the child. Why people believe that the same government who can't even keep its finances straight should be allowed to decide anything for us, is beyond me.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Honestly? I don't know. The side of me that believes we have the freedom to choose would say the parent's should be able to refuse treatment of their child. The side of me that doesn't want to see a child who could be saved die would say the State should step in.
    This is no different than forced vaccinations against parents' wishes. It isn't the government's job to make health care decisions for us. Not just "no." HELL NO.

I think in the end I would probably come down somewhere in the area of, the State can't force them, but dear God I can beg them....if that makes sense?
    Please be aware that there are a lot of people who will refuse Chemo at any age. Chemo is deadly. BBC reports that it "hastened or caused death" in 27% of the victims who took it. Another study found that as many as 42% were killed by chemo. Who knows how long they could have lived without the poisonous treatment. They will live with zero quality of life and die in agonizing pain. Forcing this poison on people is absolute Medical Fascism.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    This is no different than forced vaccinations against parents' wishes. It isn't the government's job to make health care decisions for us. Not just "no." HELL NO.

Please be aware that there are a lot of people who will refuse Chemo at any age. Chemo is deadly. BBC reports that it "hastened or caused death" in 27% of the victims who took it. Another study found that as many as 42% were killed by chemo. Who knows how long they could have lived without the poisonous treatment. They will live with zero quality of life and die in agonizing pain. Forcing this poison on people is absolute Medical Fascism.

Absolutely! I would be forced to conclude that anyone determining that I am deficient in poisonous chemicals and attempting to force them on me or any child I may have in the future is deficient in lead and should expect to have an appropriate supplement forced on him.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I have a child who's been through chemo and an organ transplant. I feel fortunate that she made it through and that the doctors were great .... and the damn State stayed out of our business. I feel for this family, cause government typically has ways of making your life a living hell.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I have a child who's been through chemo and an organ transplant. I feel fortunate that she made it through and that the doctors were great .... and the damn State stayed out of our business. I feel for this family, cause government typically has ways of making your life a living hell.

You should have withheld doctor recommened treatment of your child,
    seeing you know more than the doctors and then fought the state so your story could be in the news. Then all the anti state interventionalists on INGO would have cheered you on.

BTW.
    I had a child that went through chemo treatments too. He is alive and well 3 years OT.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.

More BS!!!!!!!!

Chemo is not deadly. There are millions of chemo survivors.

But hey why let truthfulness get in the way of a good antigovernment rant.:rolleyes:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    More BS!!!!!!!!

Chemo is not deadly. There are millions of chemo survivors.

But hey why let truthfulness get in the way of a good antigovernment rant.:rolleyes:
    Not B.S. at all. Chemo destroys 499 healthy cells for every 1 cancer cell destroyed. It poisons the entire body in hopes that the cancer will die before the patient.

Are you really claiming that nobody has died directly from chemo?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Simply claiming better to die by the chemo than to suffer and die by cancer? How many people have you watched struggle for their last breath gaping and moaning? And they refused chemo/radiation.

Cancer is nasty. It can quickly spread, and the suffering is unbearable to watch. A lot of times, the medicine to help only makes them linger.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Simply claiming better to die by the chemo than to suffer and die by cancer? How many people have you watched struggle for their last breath gaping and moaning? And they refused chemo/radiation.

Cancer is nasty. It can quickly spread, and the suffering is unbearable to watch. A lot of times, the medicine to help only makes them linger.
    Research your options and make your own decisions. You're not going to live forever either way. I'll be damned if Government is going to choose for me.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Self preservation is an innate response. To deny one's self the ability to try and fight is to give up on living. A ten year old boys' parents should not be able to choose, especially in the incedence of high mortality and recurrence of sarcoma.

Yes, they are your children, but they are on "loan" to you until they turn 18. A parent is responsible for the health and well being of their child until they turn 18 or are emancipated, and thus, when acting not in that childs best interest, the choice can and has been made in a court of law.

Edit: where should I research this? My textbooks or google?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    A ten year old boys' parents should not be able to choose, especially in the incedence of high mortality and recurrence of sarcoma.

Yes, they are your children, but they are on "loan" to you until they turn 18.
    You have a frightening view of parental rights.

Edit: where should I research this? My textbooks or google?
    Your choice. There is no right answer. Your life, your risks, you own the results.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    You have a frightening view of the world in general. I am merely stating the obvious.

Of course, the only relevant study materials are found through non government funded/approved texts and studies as the pharmacutical companies sway the outcome...only results from google and foreign studies

I am a parent, and actually understand what chemotherapy entails. I have seen its effects firsthand. Its a poison to the body, very very similar in effect to the same medication used to treat MRSA...VANCOMYCIN. its highly toxic, which is why blood levels are drawn at least once a day.

I would much rather risk having my child be sick and feeling like they were on their deathbed for 6_1w months, than to watch their life slowly dwindle away and for them to pass. The worst thing in the world (for me as a nurse) was to watch a child undergo rounds of chemo. To see them just hold their arm out with no care. Their eyes pale and lifeless. I didn't really care about their medical condition, but tried to make their day with coloring and toys and such.

What made it worthwhile is that that same 8 year old boy LIVED. Had he not had the treatment then he would be dead. End of story.

There is no greater injustice to a child than to stand by, and watch them die. There is also no more horrible thing than to sign off on a childs passing! We are supposed to not show emotion during a patients dying in front of family, but I know of not one nurse who has called a child who wasn't wet with tears.

I would gladly file papers to take a parent to court. Doctors and nurses are supposed to advocate for patients, especially those who can't or don't have the "right" to speak up for themselves. Sounds to me like someone is actually taken their role seriously.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    You have a frightening view of the world in general. I am merely stating the obvious.
    What are you frightened of? Being left alone? Not being in control of other people's decisions? You are the one saying that children are like library books, "on loan" from the government; completely against parental rights.

I have seen its effects firsthand.
    Me too.

Its a poison to the body
    +1984

I would much rather risk having my child be sick and feeling like they were on their deathbed for 6_1w months, than to watch their life slowly dwindle away and for them to pass.
    That's your right as a parent. God forbid someone force you to subject your child to things you don't approve of.

Have you ever disagreed with a doctor?
    Have you ever disagreed with the government?

Can you comprehend the rage you would feel if your kid was forced to take "horrific" treatments that you were completely opposed to? Does that compute? What if I was the government official who gets to pick how your child gets raised? You have so much faith in the system making the right decision, but what happens when it DOESN'T?

The worst thing in the world (for me as a nurse) was to watch a child undergo rounds of chemo. To see them just hold their arm out with no care. Their eyes pale and lifeless.
    That's a horrible way to spend your final days, for the 27%+ who die directly because of the chemo. If you force someone to die that way, the blood is on your hands.

There is no greater injustice to a child than to stand by, and watch them die.
    A child dying of natural causes is a tragedy.

A Nanny State government forcibly medicating children is an injustice.

There is also no more horrible thing than to sign off on a childs passing!
    Exactly why you shouldn't be making decisions that aren't yours to make.

Doctors and nurses are supposed to advocate for patients, especially those who can't or don't have the "right" to speak up for themselves. Sounds to me like someone is actually taken their role seriously.
    "Advocating" treatment is different than "Forcing" it.

Sounds like someone doesn't know their role.

I would gladly file papers to take a parent to court.
    I like your honesty.

So somebody disagrees with your infallible treatment plan. They take a firm stance that they will not comply with YOUR wishes. You are willing to send men with guns to break into their home, arrest the parents, kidnap the child, and forcibly medicate them. You wear the lab coat, and know what's best. And when the child dies an agonizing death despite your best drugs, the parents should take comfort in knowing that you had wet eyes after their kid passed. Maybe you will send them a postcard -- in the prison where you sent them. That's a heartwarming way to help a family.

Like I said, this is Medical Fascism.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    You are seriously off your rocker man. They don't come with guns toting and take your kids. CPS comes and takes the child, they get the treatment, then they might go home.

You have serious paranoia issues and general mistrust. Just because a few are corrupt, doesn't make everyone corrupt.

Keep trolling.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Not B.S. at all. Chemo destroys 499 healthy cells for every 1 cancer cell destroyed. It poisons the entire body in hopes that the cancer will die before the patient.

Are you really claiming that nobody has died directly from chemo?

Not withstanding your vast knowledge of treating childhood cancer,

Glad I went with an actual pediatric oncologist recomendations in my sons cancer treatments.

Top Bottom