Do you really save that much money reloading your own ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    guess I just can't put a price on the time I spend with the family

Too true, which is why all of my kids shoot AND reload with me. I also take them fishing, hunting and to untold numbers of sporting events over the years.

With that being said, what guy doesn't need an hour or two away from the wife n' kids, once in a while? Nice try, but don't try to spin this into some question of how much quality time you spend with your family. The two are simply NOT mutually exclusive. ;)

If you don't want to bother reloading, then just come out n' say it. I'm not going to judge you and neither is anybody else. Just don't b***h about the cost of factory ammo or make false claims about not saving money reloading your own. That assumes facts not in evidence when those of us actually DOING IT, know better. S'all I'm saying. :ingo:

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Too true, which is why all of my kids shoot AND reload with me. I also take them fishing, hunting and to untold numbers of sporting events over the years.

With that being said, what guy doesn't need an hour or two away from the wife n' kids, once in a while? Nice try, but don't try to spin this into some question of how much quality time you spend with your family. The two are simply NOT mutually exclusive. ;)

If you don't want to bother reloading, then just come out n' say it. I'm not going to judge you and neither is anybody else. Just don't b***h about the cost of factory ammo or make false claims about not saving money reloading your own. That assumes facts not in evidence when those of us actually DOING IT, know better. S'all I'm saying. :ingo:

I just had a recent delivery of components and had to check my numbers again. Right now i would be loading 1 box of 50 .40 S&W 180 grain FN for $7.35

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    guess I just can't put a price on the time I spend with the family

I just had a recent delivery of components and had to check my numbers again. Right now i would be loading 1 box of 50 .40 S&W 180 grain FN for $7.35
    AND--Charles, from my figures, when you cast your own 180gr. S&W's, one box of 50 loads will cost $3.87-$3.90. This is with lead@$1.00lb.,primers at $30.00K, and about $.02 each on powder.
    I don't care how you look at it--THAT'S pretty cheap shooting for a .40 cal. handgun...Bill.

Last edited:

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    AND--Charles, from my figures, when you cast your own 180gr. S&W's, one box of 50 loads will cost $3.87-$3.90. This is with lead@$1.00lb.,primers at $30.00K, and about $.02 each on powder.
    I don't care how you look at it--THAT'S pretty cheap shooting for a .40 cal. handgun...Bill.

Yes it is. I am very glad i started reloading. I am trying to spread the bug as much as i can.

imjammin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I enjoy reloading, it does lower the cost per round that I shoot, however I don't know that I save $. More shooting has made me a better shot, and it's also something I like to do. Reloading is not for everybody, like anything else.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    Well worth it.

The savings really mount up if you cast your own bullets. That assumes you have a good source of bullet alloys.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm loading 180gr full house 357 magnum for around $5 per 50.

Crazy, isn't it? Feels like you're printing money with every pull of the handle.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian

Crazy, isn't it? Feels like you're printing money with every pull of the handle.

My GF's dad was going to have me polish his car this past weekend. I told my gf that I would have him buy some rounds as a trade. She made me so proud when she said " why, you can make your own." :D

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Am I the only one that didn't start reloading to save money? I started it initially because I was curious about how it was done. Now I do it to relax. I can never say I've saved any money, as I never seem to be able to pass up any equipment that I find on sale.

Making serviceable ammo, actually better ammo, from what many consider trash is just a fringe benefit.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009

With the way factory ammo keeps going up in price, yes...it sure does feel like I'm printing money. :)

My GF's dad was going to have me polish his car this past weekend. I told my gf that I would have him buy some rounds as a trade. She made me so proud when she said " why, you can make your own." :D

Not only is there a sense of pride in being able to load your own high-quality ammo from a pile of components, there is a certain feeling of confidence and being self-sufficient that is very gratifying.

Am I the only one that didn't start reloading to save money? I started it initially because I was curious about how it was done. Now I do it to relax. I can never say I've saved any money, as I never seem to be able to pass up any equipment that I find on sale.

Making serviceable ammo, actually better ammo, from what many consider trash is just a fringe benefit.

There are 4 primary reasons folks get into reloading, more or less, with saving money being the most common. You're right, though; pretty much every person that becomes a reloader and sticks with it over the years does it more for high-quality ammo and enjoying a great, relaxing hobby, than anything else.

One of the INGO members once said that all shooters should be reloaders and all reloaders should cast their own bullets. I can't say that I agree with that in practice, but in principle, it's a very good concept. The more of us who make our own ammo for the guns we shoot, the more our sometimes "forgetful" leaders will realize we are not as sheep being led to the slaughter. We are a capable and willful citizenry; a "well-regulated militia", ya might say.

That is something I wish to remain at the forefront of the minds of our elected officials...especially in this day and age.

:patriot:

coorslight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Carver. MA.
    Sorry if this is a duplicate answer, did not read thru all the posts. You don't actually save money you just shoot more. It's a great hobby ,been doing it for over 25 years.

Top Bottom