• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    if they are on my property they have permission to be there from the indiana legislature as do most other states. jack is right, its the kings deer. precidence over time has ruled that the animals are not property even if they are on your property. so, if they feel tickled to check something out, unfortunately, they can do it. as far as coming on to your property and trying to disarm you, most probably wouldn't but if requested you have to. if you don't you will be visiting a sallyport near you and facing the man in the black gown with the wooden hammer for resisting law enforcement. a quick search in the code will reveal the CONSERVATION OFFICER(not dnr officer) has tremendous power. if you don't like it you can move but most likely the next state has the very same laws. just lay low and they will eventually find something better to do.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    ...and what is that???

I'm saying according to the OP, it has happened several times, it has happened over a year or more, he apparently knows who is doing it and he doesn't like it, he talks like he's going to do something about it, but for some reason has to wait until it happens by happenstance to him self.

If all that were true on my property I'd pick up the phone and discuss it with the people doing it or go to their office and learn the truth and what is going on face to face. What the problem is? What do they want? Never know, we may have a common problem and I can help them take care of MY problem.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    IC 14-9-8-16
    Powers and duties of conservation officers
    Sec. 16. (a) A conservation officer of the division:
    (1) has all necessary police powers to enforce the natural resources laws; and
    (2) may, without warrant, arrest a person for a violation of those laws when committed in the officer's presence.
    (b) A conservation officer shall do the following:
    (1) Detect and prevent violations of natural resources laws.
    (2) Enforce natural resources laws and rules.
    (3) Perform other related duties that are imposed upon conservation officers by law.
    (c) A conservation officer has the same power with respect to natural resources matters and the enforcement of the laws relating to natural resources laws as have law enforcement officers in their respective jurisdictions. A warrant of arrest or search warrant issued by proper authority may be executed by a conservation officer in any county.
    As added by P.L.1-1995, SEC.2.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    regular dnr guys you can tell to **** up a rope and they have to leave, the CONSERVATION OFFICER, the guys in the big expeditions, they can haul you off for smiling wrong.

If they want to they'll just say your smile LOOKED wrong to them and then tear apart every thing you own looking for a reason to arrest. If they don't find any thing by the time they destroy everything you own they'll arrest you for vagrancy or littering or maintaning a common nuisance.

They surveying right now and want permission from neighboring land owners to walk on your property, mark your trees or "blaze" trees up to 10 feet on your property with an axe.

Yeah, right. "Get off, stay off, don't touch a thing that belongs to me. Not ten feet, not ten inches, not a step."

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
    IC 14-22-39-3​
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
    Searches of effects; entry onto property​
    [/FONT][/FONT]
    Sec. 3. (a) As used in this section, "public or private property"
    does not include dwellings.
    (b) The director and conservation officers may:
    (1) search a boat, a conveyance, a vehicle, an automobile, a fish
    box, a fish basket, a game bag, a game coat, or other receptacle
    in which game may be carried; and
    (2) enter into or upon private or public property for the
    purposes of subdivision (1) or for the purpose of patrolling or
    investigating;
    if the director or conservation officer has good reason to believe that
    the director or conservation officer will secure evidence of a
    violation of this article or a law for the propagation or protection of
    fish, frogs, mussels, game, furbearing mammals, or birds.​
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]As added by P.L.1-1995, SEC.15.
    [/FONT][/FONT]

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    1. Don't tell them to "Get off, and STAY OFF!"

2. Don't "**** on their boots"

3. Don't give them any reason to disarm you!
    I was paid a visit by a CO last year while shooting. I was bump firing, and apparently he was over on the other side of the ridge and heard it. He pulled up, and I was reloading. He asked if I was shooting full auto, and I told him no. He asked to see my weapons. They were all laid out on my tailgate, so I point over and as he was walking to them, I told him I was bump firing. He asked which AK it was, and I pointed it out. He looked it over, told me it was a nice weapon, and told me someone at the nearby campground called me in. He told me to cool it (it was July 4th weekend, and Hardin Ridge is right next door to where I shoot) for the weekend because the liberal hippies are griping. He said he didn't have any problem with what I was doing, but he suggested he didn't want to come back to visit me.

He was cool to me, and I tried to appease his wishes.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    regular dnr guys you can tell to **** up a rope and they have to leave, the CONSERVATION OFFICER, the guys in the big expeditions, they can haul you off for smiling wrong.

Better be pretty sure who you are talking to when you are deciding the tone to take.

HNF has their own law enforcement. I'm pretty sure they are feds and I KNOW they carry guns and the ONE I have met is a pretty frigging serious dude. Not much comedy or joking around in any conversation I've had with him. It's OK with me though, just don't take it to heart like he's mad about something. It's just the way he is far as I can tell.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    If they want to they'll just say your smile LOOKED wrong to them and then tear apart every thing you own looking for a reason to arrest. If they don't find any thing by the time they destroy everything you own they'll arrest you for vagrancy or littering or maintaning a common nuisance.

They surveying right now and want permission from neighboring land owners to walk on your property, mark your trees or "blaze" trees up to 10 feet on your property with an axe.

Yeah, right. "Get off, stay off, don't touch a thing that belongs to me. Not ten feet, not ten inches, not a step."

you are correct sir! its not right but unfortunately they can do as they please and as i studied in college while pursing a LE degree, they actually have more power than a typical police officer man. a typical LEO has to have reason or cause to enter your property, a CO can do everything and stop short of your front door and you simply can only smile and offer coffee. most COs i have heard of have been relatively cool but i've heard the stories just like everyone else where guys have gotten dressed down in the field just cause the jacka$$ had the authority to do it.

bigdawgtrucks

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    In the end its all about money, if they can find someone to ticket they will. It stopped being serve and protect a long time ago.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    He didn't say they were officers other than saying they were asking questions. Not every one in DNR has the power Game wardens do.

Ok, I apologize. I just assumed that if he called his son down from his deer stand and asked for his "normal info", (or tags and ID) that it would be a Conservation Officer. I would not think that a DNR biologist or forrester...or other persons employed with the DNR would bother with that.

...walked up on my son in his deer stand opening morning. Ask for normal info. This has happened 2 years in a row.

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    I'm saying according to the OP, it has happened several times, it has happened over a year or more, he apparently knows who is doing it and he doesn't like it, he talks like he's going to do something about it, but for some reason has to wait until it happens by happenstance to him self.

If all that were true on my property I'd pick up the phone and discuss it with the people doing it or go to their office and learn the truth and what is going on face to face. What the problem is? What do they want? Never know, we may have a common problem and I can help them take care of MY problem.

Agreed.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    Better be pretty sure who you are talking to when you are deciding the tone to take.

HNF has their own law enforcement. I'm pretty sure they are feds and I KNOW they carry guns and the ONE I have met is a pretty frigging serious dude. Not much comedy or joking around in any conversation I've had with him. It's OK with me though, just don't take it to heart like he's mad about something. It's just the way he is far as I can tell.

in indiana i believe the regular dnr folks cannot be armed at any time while working. i thought i read that a while back but cannot find it on the web. as usual, if someone approaches wearing a sidearm and in uniform, i'm gonna be very cordial, but once in a while evil bigiron shows up and takes an attitude. i would hate to get the crap beat out of me by a conservation officer, it just sound bad!:D

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Owned property since 1973- never had an issue up till now. Not one to call in and complain- don't want to be on their black list. They can do anything they want- can't imagine why any one would call them, go down once a month for the weekend. I'm just tired.... Wounder what they would do if someone walked in on their property into their home with no cause- badge is law- freedom is gone- good thing my taxes went up 400% last 4 years- what is it I have to pass on to my son-

the can not go into your home.. open land is another thing.

IC 14-22-39-3
    Searches of effects; entry onto property
    Sec. 3. (a) As used in this section, "public or private property" does not include dwellings.
    (b) The director and conservation officers may:
    (1) search a boat, a conveyance, a vehicle, an automobile, a fish box, a fish basket, a game bag, a game coat, or other receptacle in which game may be carried; and
    (2) enter into or upon private or public property for the purposes of subdivision (1) or for the purpose of patrolling or investigating;
    if the director or conservation officer has good reason to believe that the director or conservation officer will secure evidence of a violation of this article or a law for the propagation or protection of fish, frogs, mussels, game, furbearing mammals, or birds.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    in indiana i believe the regular dnr folks cannot be armed at any time while working. i thought i read that a while back but cannot find it on the web. as usual, if someone approaches wearing a sidearm and in uniform, i'm gonna be very cordial, but once in a while evil bigiron shows up and takes an attitude. i would hate to get the crap beat out of me by a conservation officer, it just sound bad!:D

IC 14-9-8-18
    Carrying arms
    Sec. 18. (a) A uniformed conservation officer shall carry arms in the performance of the officer's duty.
    (b) A nonuniformed conservation officer may carry arms in the performance of the officer's duty.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    IC 14-9-8-18
    Carrying arms
    Sec. 18. (a) A uniformed conservation officer shall carry arms in the performance of the officer's duty.
    (b) A nonuniformed conservation officer may carry arms in the performance of the officer's duty.

i found this too but this doesn't apply to a biologis or caretaker or such. i am still looking but i can't find anything about it so it may be my imagination at work again. as with any LEO they still have to identify upon request and if they refuse they are not a CO or LEO in my book. until the badge shows up they are just like the guy down the road.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    i found this too but this doesn't apply to a biologis or caretaker or such. i am still looking but i can't find anything about it so it may be my imagination at work again. as with any LEO they still have to identify upon request and if they refuse they are not a CO or LEO in my book. until the badge shows up they are just like the guy down the road.

Yes, "regular joe" state employees cannot carry or otherwise have in possession (including in vehicles) firearms of any type.

-J-

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom