• ...and so much more!
  • rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    My friend just bought a new 20" Bushy and he's really disappointed.
    First thing, the trigger is the worst I have ever seen on an AR. I know there aren't really any good "stock" AR triggers but I've never seen one as bad as this (I've had 7 and still own 5). It feels like a 20 lb pull and has 3 stages LOL, It really is that bad.
    Second, It shoots really good 6" groups at 100yrds. He's only shot 3 kinds of factory ammo but 6"? out of a fixture too. He's not really your average plinker either, he shoots match and was hoping to set this rifle up for competition.
    I guess I was hoping to hear your comments about what to expect. I did give him some hand loads I've had good luck with and maybe the barrel will come around? Should he call Bushy and tell them about the trigger? I'm sure he will be switching it out but I believe he has to stay with 3 or 3 1/2 lb for competition. I think he's just used to his M1 and the trigger/accuracy is freaking him out.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    If he's a match shooter he shouldnt have bought a service rifle and expected teh world.
    If it shoots 6" groups at 100 yards then he's killing advancing soldiers, so teh rifle is doing it's job.

The trigger will wear in over time. dry fire it a few 100 times to clean it up a bit.

Also, is he running iron sights? These are not NM sights. Put a scope on it and shoor for groups to see what it does. I'm betting 2-4 moa

Last edited:

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    I'm sorry, I should have said military match and If I couldn't beat 6" with a scoped 20" AR I'd put the barrel in a vice and make a pretzel wall hanging out of it LOL... or maybe find another barrel :)

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    6" iron sights non DCM rifle sounds right. It might have been cheaper for him to buy a DCM ready gun than to build one up himself.

betwen the non floated barrel and Non National Match sights he's down 2 strikes already.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    ok so, really REALLY bad trigger, non-match barrel, not free floated.........

Am I crazy not to expect fantastic performance out of any gun like that?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    A lot has been said about AR's on this site...I have a Colt, Match, 1-7 twist, and I shoot 80% at 200 yds, believe me, the rifle is more accurate, than I am... for a factory Bushy, I do not think that is good, my brother, has a Bushy, and I barely beat him, at 200 yds. I do not know what twist he has on his rifle... I would contact Bushy, and see if something can be done, the trigger on my brother's Bushy, is NOT that BAD !!!!!:twocents:

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    Thanks for the info. I've got to see what model he ordered, it's the 20" 1/9 heavy (not bull) barrel with a flat top upper, std butt stock and std handguards. It may be what the call "match" but I hope not. I'm not sure what he's going to do yet, I do know he's going to try to get out this weekend and try some of the rnds I gave him.
    I guess a lot of the guys shooting, whatever matches he shoots, have gone from the M1s to the AR style rifles and I've been teasing him about moving up to a "newer" 50 yr old gun LOL and I hate to see his first venture into the world of ARs to be that sucky :) He actually bought the Bushy because they advertised as a "better/higher end" gun.
    Thanks Again

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    A lot has been said about AR's on this site...I have a Colt, Match, 1-7 twist, and I shoot 80% at 200 yds, believe me, the rifle is more accurate, than I am... for a factory Bushy, I do not think that is good, my brother, has a Bushy, and I barely beat him, at 200 yds. I do not know what twist he has on his rifle... I would contact Bushy, and see if something can be done, the trigger on my brother's Bushy, is NOT that BAD !!!!!:twocents:

So what size are your 100 yard groups with those rifles?

For comparison I mean.

I never really thought of Bushmaster <I hate to use the term "Bushy" in regards to.... anything. Nothing should be "BUSHY" on either your wife or your guns. :) > as a high end gun.

But any gun with a bad trigger will deliver bad groups.

I have never shot my cheapo-parts AR from a bench or a vise or what have you, I think this post motivated me to find out what the bottom end of the AR world is for accuracy and borrow a rest and give it a go.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    So what size are your 100 yard groups with those rifles?

For comparison I mean.

I never really thought of Bushmaster <I hate to use the term "Bushy" in regards to.... anything. Nothing should be "BUSHY" on either your wife or your guns. :) > as a high end gun.

But any gun with a bad trigger will deliver bad groups.

I have never shot my cheapo-parts AR from a bench or a vise or what have you, I think this post motivated me to find out what the bottom end of the AR world is for accuracy and borrow a rest and give it a go.
    I haven't shot at 100 yds, for a while, but the black bull, is
    13", and the 80% is score, not hits... kind of vague, I know, but this was the first "match" that I shot...

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I haven't shot at 100 yds, for a while, but the black bull, is
    13", and the 80% is score, not hits... kind of vague, I know, but this was the first "match" that I shot...

I know it. Its tough. I always shoot offhand or prone. I have no frame of reference for bench shooting of a non-free floated AR with a non-match barrel.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I have a bushy for my patrol rifle (personally owned) and many of the issued patrol rifles are Bushmaster Dissipator models. You will get better groups with a free floating barrel and a bull barrel. Ammo could also be an issue.

NealWright

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    Not the blame the shooter in this story ... but reminds me about a year ago. Amish kid bought a Savage 200 .308 to take on an Elk hunt. Bought it new from the gun store. Brought it back in a couple days later, gun shot >10" groups ... gun shop wouldn't buy it back. Out of curiosity we got ahold of it ... it was shooting ~1"!

Top Bottom