• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I'm about to enter the diesel world. I bought a 07 GMC Duramax, quad cab, 4x4, 3/4 ton.

I'm NOT a mechanic by any stretchy of the imagination, and my questions revolve around fuel mileage. I'm looking at tuners, exhaust's, intakes etc. I do not want a loud truck, and I don't care if its fast, or overly powerful. I will pull a trailer, but nothing the stock truck wouldn't handle just fine.

What I'm looking for is increased fuel mileage to the point it makes me money. Ill drive this truck for 200,000 miles and I don't mind putting money in parts, but I want a positive return on investment. I'm pretty certain the tuner will make me money, but what about the exhaust, and intake? Any brands you recommend I try or recommend I steer clear of? Again all I care about is making money on my fuel (IE if it costs 1000 bucks it needs to save me more than 1000 bucks over the course of 200,000 miles) without making the truck overly loud, or flashy.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I do NOT know about the Chevys, BUT I do know that a Dodge, 3/4 ton, with a Cummins, can be chipped at the Dealer, and get 25 MPG..... on the Highway, I do NOT know if there is a trade-off, for pulling power, or capacity .....

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Quite a few diesel forums out there and I think one is just d-max.

For tunners stick with the big names like say hp tuners bully dog ect ect... Many do have fuel mileage settings.

The easier you can get air and fuel in and out the better.... Emmisons kills mpg..... Turbo engines like free flowing exhaust... Most guys get an exhaust that does not have a catalytic converter, ditch the emmisons stuff, tuner, and throw on a cold air induction (air filter is washable ie never needs replaced and air is smother and less restrictive going in. That's about the extent that most go to....for exact mpg figures check out their forums.

I'm sure the mpg mode hurts towing....

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Quite a few diesel forums out there and I think one is just d-max.

I've found those, but as little as I know about mechanic's its hard to wade threw the BS and get the good info.

I did find a place called Danville performance that specializes in diesel, so it may be wise to just take it there and let them do everything. They sound like honest folks, but they could be full of it and I probably wouldn't know.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Find a GOOD guy to burn you a custom tune. Probably going to change air intake, downpipe, delete any emissions crap and install your custom burned tune. I'd defiently be adding a pyrometer and an A/F ratio meter at the minimum.

Head over to Danville Performance and see Mark. He'll tune you up on the dyno and make sure she's running healthy. I also really like the guys at Scheid Diesel.

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    like The Others Have Said Intake, Exhaust, And A Good Tuner Or Custom Chips Are Good Start. I'd Get Exhaust From Dieseldawgs.Com. As For A Chip I Know Efilive Is Great For Power And Mileage. If You Want To Get Really Fancy, The CNG kits Can Gain You Quite A Bit Of Mileage, But Are One Of The Most Expensive Things To do.

Edit: For Exhaust I Wouldn't Go Any Smaller Than 4" And Buy A Complete System From The Turbo Back.

hfdcowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I am no Diesel EXPERT. But I have some info. I believe the 2007 is an lmm motor, which means it has a dpf "Diesel Particulate Filter" it is hard to get results with a programmer while it still has a dpf. I would look into a dpf delete as well as an EGR delete I believe that also requires exhaust work. After that slap a efi system turner and keep your foot out it. wheeew That all being said it is a lot of work that requires experience with this sort of modding. And knowing you and what you have told me you are going to want to seek a professional for help. Talk to Scheid they are the masters and get a second opinion They are in Lafayette IN 800-669-3533.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Longevity suffers when you put more fuel in the combustion chamber.

It is also illegal to drop the exhaust convertors and also illegal doing an EGR delete.

Lot of guys like smoke black as coal blowing out the pipes, they are morons in a sane person's book!

ASD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2013
    Southside
    Ppe and efi live best tuners for your truck. Don't go too high on a tune as those trucks will have the tranny go into limp mode. Afe or s&b best intakes to buy As for exhaust that's up to your personal preference as I like them loud. But tuner and intake and a free flowing exhaust will lower your egts and give you another 2-4 mpg. ( that's if you can keep your foot off the happy pedal. With another 100hp it's hard lol )

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne

It is also illegal to drop the exhaust convertors and also illegal doing an EGR delete.

Lot of guys like smoke black as coal blowing out the pipes, they are morons in a sane person's book!

My Diesel Is Rapidly Approaching 300k And For Half It's Life It's Had Bigger Injectors In It. It Hasn't Even Given Me Any Reliability Issues. As Far As I Know Indiana Doesn't Have Any Emissions Laws That He Should Be Worried About On Passenger Vehicles.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County

Wrong. No laws against EGR deletes, and converters. Longevity suffers when you fuel to much the wrong way, which anybody running a edge or bully dog and big @$$ injectors with nothing else to support run into.

hfdcowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    My Diesel Is Rapidly Approaching 300k And For Half It's Life It's Had Bigger Injectors In It. It Hasn't Even Given Me Any Reliability Issues. As Far As I Know Indiana Doesn't Have Any Emissions Laws That He Should Be Worried About On Passenger Vehicles.

Agreed if you treat the truck right and keep your foot out of it this is not an issue.

And there are no emissions police running around sniffing tail pipes.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    'As Far As I Know Indiana Doesn't Have Any Emissions Laws That He Should Be Worried About On Passenger Vehicles. '

Emission laws are federal with some states having more stringent. IE Cali.

Wrong. No laws against EGR deletes, and converters. Longevity suffers when you fuel to much the wrong way, which anybody running a edge or bully dog and big @$$ injectors with nothing else to support run into."

LOL Illegal as heck. I don't know who told you changing emission systems was legal, but you need to ditch the idiot that told you that.

hfdcowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    'As Far As I Know Indiana Doesn't Have Any Emissions Laws That He Should Be Worried About On Passenger Vehicles. '

Emission laws are federal with some states having more stringent. IE Cali.

Wrong. No laws against EGR deletes, and converters. Longevity suffers when you fuel to much the wrong way, which anybody running a edge or bully dog and big @$$ injectors with nothing else to support run into."

LOL Illegal as heck. I don't know who told you changing emission systems was legal, but you need to ditch the idiot that told you that.

I live in Boone county as well. Sure are a lot of "Illegal" trucks running these streets.

As far as federal Emission laws who is enforcing those exactly????

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom