• ...and so much more!
  • japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I received the following response from Congressman Todd Young:

"On December 14, 2012, our nation experienced an unspeakable tragedy in Newtown. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims of this terrible event, as well as to their families and loved ones. Now is the time to pause and reflect as to how we can prevent such events in the future in a manner consistent with our rights and values. Rest assured, I support law abiding American citizens who choose to exercise their Second Amendment rights.

In the wake of this tragedy, several pieces of legislation are expected to be introduced in the 113th Congress. Senator Dianne Feinstein announced her plans to introduce an assault weapons ban bill on the first day of the 113th Congress which would ban the sale, transfer, importation and possession of assault weapons, as defined in that bill, not retroactively, but prospectively. Her legislation would also ban the sale of clips of more than ten bullets. Additionally, President Obama has announced that Vice President Joe Biden will be heading up an effort to form administration polices to curb gun-related violence. The White House’s emerging gun-control strategy includes support for an assault weapons ban.

In the coming weeks, I look forward to discussing with my colleagues these and other legislative options as we consider the current and future role of our federal government in preventing these atrocious tragedies. Be assured, I value your input and will keep your thoughts in mind as Congress debates these issues. Again, thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to represent you in the U.S. House of Representatives.

In Service, Todd Young Member of Congress

TY/JL"

I an not sure if that is a "yes" or a "no". He said that he supports the 2nd amendment but also said he looks forward to " discussing with my colleagues these and other legislative options".

That HAS to be a generic canned staffer-written response...as I would hope no self-respecting Marine would ever call a magazine a "clip".

Rest Assured, Todd Young supports our cause... IIRC He's never let us down on 2A votes in our favor.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    wait a minute, did the guy use an AR or handguns? Ive seen a recent report where the AR was left in the car and he had 4 handguns on him. Which was it?!?

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    wait a minute, did the guy use an AR or handguns? Ive seen a recent report where the AR was left in the car and he had 4 handguns on him. Which was it?!?

Very good question... I've been trying to track down the ME report, and the police report, so far no one seems to have them... I personally think that MSM is pulling a fast one.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

Initial reports that day (because I was at work when it was on the station I work at) said he used hand guns and the AR was found in the trunk. It has changed since then I am more apt to go by this then any other report.

Very good question... I've been trying to track down the ME report, and the police report, so far no one seems to have them... I personally think that MSM is pulling a fast one.

Glad I'm not the only one wondering this. Initially, 2 handguns were used while the AR was left in the car.

In the past week, the AR has turned into the prime murder weapon and the firearm found in the vehicle became a shotgun.

I REALLY hope it is true that he did not use the AR, that it was left in the vehicle, and that the misinformation by the media blows up in their face.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Doesn't really matter. :dunno:
    This ban has NOTHING to do with the school shooting or with protecting kids.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I absolutely LOVE this proposal.
    Why? Because it doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of being passed.

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    Rifles with thumbhole stocks? Seriously? Like the super mega Remington Assault 700 vl ss? WTF does a thumbhole stock have to do with anything?

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Rifles with thumbhole stocks? Seriously? Like the super mega Remington Assault 700 vl ss? WTF does a thumbhole stock have to do with anything?

Under the old AW ban, new firearms were made with thumbhole stocks instead of pistol grips to avoid the "deadly feature" of a pistol grip and still be able to have a detachable hicap magazine. It was a "loop hole".

This new ban is closing all the 'loop holes' and changing the "deadly feature" test from 2 deadly features to only one deadly feature.

EVERY SINGLE SEMIAUTOMATIC FIREARM (shotgun, rifle or pistol) with a detachable magazine will be covered by this ban unless it is exempted, BY NAME, in the bill, or has the maximum capacity of 10 rounds. Fixed magazines over 10 rounds are also assault weapons.

If a firearm has the ABILITY to accept a hicap mag, it is BANNED, unless specifically exempted, by name.

1911's have the ABILITY to accept a magazine over 10 rounds, so a 1911 (unless named in the bill, by name) is classified as an assault weapon.

Yes, you read that right a 1911 is an assault weapon under that legislation.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Has anyone found out what specific firearms she names...or is this another of those "we'll have to pass it to see what's in it" deals?

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Has anyone found out what specific firearms she names...or is this another of those "we'll have to pass it to see what's in it" deals?

Correct. At this point the named firearms haven't been released.

I'd be willing to bet that at least a few dozen of them are going to be naming different makes/models of .22lr tubular rifles.

If anyone is getting excited about the named exemptions, I hope they hang themselves tonight, we don't need there that level of stupidity procreating.

Most of the exempted names will likely include tubular fed rifles, IF a Remington 700 is on the list, the chances of anything other than a 30.06 with a wood stock would be about it. A 700 tactical wouldn't be on it.

Yodes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Noble County
    I'm waiting for Feinstein to pull a Nancy Pelosi and say "We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it."

If Feinstein gets her way this is the beginning of gun confiscation and the beginning of the end of gun ownership. These people are not interested in reducing murder by guns, they are interested in disarming the populous.

According to FBI homicide stats, search www.fbi.gov, there were about 9 times more homicides with knives, blunt objects, and hands than by rifles in 2011. FBI says total homicides with all guns has been declining from 10,129 in 2007 to 8,583 in 2011. If people were interested in stopping murder they would start with violent video games and TV & movies and making it illegal to own a knife.

At times like this we need leaders like our founding fathers...people who love and fear God more than government.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    What do Richard Speck, Jeffery Dahmer, Richard Ramirez, Gary Ridgway, John Wayne Gacy, Angelo Buono, and Kenneth Bianchi, have in common?

They didn't use a gun to kill their *many* victims. Yet we're not having a 'national dialogue' on a knife or ligature ban.

Cause: mental illness
    Effect: murder
    Tool: various non-firearm

Is an assault weapon ban REALLY going to make anyone any safer, with nuts like these on the loose?

fniman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    ALL OF US need to be contacting our representatives in congress to let our voices be heard!!! This is an all out assault on the Constitution of the United States and we must treat it as such!

Find your rep The United States House of Representatives · House.gov
    Find your Senator U.S. Senate: Senators Home

Email them, call them, write them... we need to flood our members of congress to let them know that this violation will not be tolerated!

The time for action is now... we cannot sit idly by and watch the rest of our freedoms be taken from us!

Thanks for the links.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    What do Richard Speck, Jeffery Dahmer, Richard Ramirez, Gary Ridgway, John Wayne Gacy, Angelo Buono, and Kenneth Bianchi, have in common?

They didn't use a gun to kill their *many* victims. Yet we're not having a 'national dialogue' on a knife or ligature ban.

Cause: mental illness
    Effect: murder
    Tool: various non-firearm

Is an assault weapon ban REALLY going to make anyone any safer, with nuts like these on the loose?

Don't forget Ted Kaczynski...

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009

Well she just shot herself in the foot, figuratively speaking, on this one. By throwing a hail mary and going more restrictive, there's not a chance in hell this will make it through the house. If she thinks she can get 218 Republicans in the House to implement a ban more restrictive than Massachusetts law, she's certifiably nuts.

Better yet, if she thinks John Boehner is going to risk his speakership and possibly his place in congress by allowing any Senate bill with this language to be sent to any committee for any consideration, she's just even more nuts. She knows this will go nowhere, this is just a play to her CA constituents.

Last edited:

Rand60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    I don't think there's any chance this will pass the Republican House. This type of thing comes up every few years. I cannot see in the next two years any significant legislation. The great increase in price of ARs is going to big bubble. I would not be buying into this bubble

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Well she just shot herself in the foot, figuratively speaking, on this one. By throwing a hail mary and going more restrictive, there's not a chance in hell this will make it through the house. If she thinks she can get 218 Republicans in the House to implement a ban more restrictive than Massachusetts law, she's certifiably nuts.

Better yet, if she thinks John Boehner is going to risk his speakership and possibly his place in congress by allowing any Senate bill with this language to be sent to any committee for any consideration, she's just even more nuts. She knows this will go nowhere, this is just a play to her CA constituents.

I don't think there's any chance this will pass the Republican House. This type of thing comes up every few years. I cannot see in the next two years any significant legislation. The great increase in price of ARs is going to big bubble. I would not be buying into this bubble
    NEVER presume that you know what Congress will do!!
    Those of us who opposed GCA 68 when it was proposed were assured that it wouldn't pass with the onerous restrictions that it contained.
    We were lied to!!

Top Bottom