• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I suspect that the urge to hang onto things that are valuable to you is stronger than the urge to hang onto a couple props at a stage, especially when you are not really surprised by the buzzer going off.

Some years back on another gun a fellow (coincidentally from Indiana) recounted how when he came home from shopping at the grocery store he surprised two burgers, and himself, in his apartment.

He later realized that he automatically shifted the bag of groceries from his right arm to his left arm, THEN drew his pistol. He didn’t even think about putting down the groceries until the burglars had hightailed it out if there.

One of my NCOs injured his knee trying to save a computer monitor he was carrying when he stumbled walking up some steps. Although intellectually he knew that the monitor was old and simply going to DRMO (to be sold as surplus), his ingrained response was To not damage the monitor while trying to recapture his balance.

Even not under total duress it happens. I was at John Murphy's class last year and discovered under stress/rushing I failed to drop my pepper spray when I transitioned to my pistol during a drill. I ended up holding on and getting a **** poor support hand grip.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Mindset!

I NEVER have my phone in my hand.

If I have anything in my hands it will be in my left hand. I have already decided to drop it. I have no small kids to carry.

Cup of coffee will be in my left hand with plans to scald my attacker as I draw.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Mindset!

If I have anything in my hands it will be in my left hand. I have already decided to drop it. I have no small kids to carry.

Cup of coffee will be in my left hand with plans to scald my attacker as I draw.
    All I can say is prepare to fire with your phone between your gun and your support hand. :):

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    1) Looks like Brookins will no longer be joining the navy.

2) :yesway: to Mr. "X".

3) probably not a good idea for anyone to be waving a gun around when the police show up. He did good. Including having the customers meet the police outside.

4) I liked how they showed some of the things going through his mind. So many people just assume gun carriers just want to "kill".

5) “There’s definitely an emotional cost to this,” he said. “But I didn’t get the choice of leaving. I didn’t know what they were going to do. I was thinking, ‘If you don’t do this, you’re going to end up with a scar either way, as well as all these other people. Somebody’s going to lose either way.’

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    All I can say is prepare to fire with your phone between your gun and your support hand. :):

Another reason I am happy with my $65 refurbed smart phone. I run them until they die, then buy another. Had the last one three years. Got rid of it because I cracked the camera lens and I need that for court cases.

Took a class with Coach and BBI where one scenario involved a pizza and a bad guy. I frisbee shot the pizza at the bad guy, but was later told he was too far away to even make him flinch. I still thought it would be a distraction while I drew my pistol.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    For Tom, cell phones are newfangled inventions, that he has to think to even remember if he has one.
    So, maybe not a problem for him.

Actually my phone has blue tooth to my hearing aids so I never have to take it out of my pocket. I never use it to play games so I never have it out.

Yes, I am old and decrepit. Not sure If I will be able to do the Youth Shoot next year. I would enjoy a M&E though.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Mindset!

Yep. Instinct allows us to act without thinking. If the instinct is wrong you either have to modify what is instinctive or override the instinct, which takes longer.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Actually my phone has blue tooth to my hearing aids so I never have to take it out of my pocket. I never use it to play games so I never have it out.

Yes, I am old and decrepit. Not sure If I will be able to do the Youth Shoot next year. I would enjoy a M&E though.

Hey. We can drive you there.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Philadelphia phone robber has bad day:

https://hoodsite.com/cell-phone-store-employee-fatally-shoots-armed-robber/

Full/raw security video at link.

Awesome, right up to the point where he fired to slide lock, didn't reload and ran out the door right into the armed accomplice.

Yeah, from here in my armchair, I think he shoulda stopped firing a bit sooner. Like about the time he came to the end of the counter as he is unloading literally into the guy's bum (or so it appeared as that was the closest thing to him).

But I wont fault him. He was there and I wasnt, and he didnt have the luxury of watching it go down knowing the outcome.

Also, Poor little printer. May it RIP. It appears to have taken a couple rounds. :):

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    It kinda looks like the first or second shot ended it. Just at 13 seconds before the first shot, the perp made eye contact and started to flinch just before the clerk brought the gun on target. I think that was a head shot and the guy went down. The last thing he saw may have been the gun coming on target. He dropped after that shot and didn’t move other than the other shots going in him.

Dude walked in there like he was in control. Shame that people are willing to threaten people for so little. Pick a different occupation and he’d likely still be breathing.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Yeah, but then he'd have to get up on a regular schedule and work for his money. Nuttin coo bout dat.

I also wondered about why he ran out of the store, maybe his reload was in the car. And he is definitely going to need a new printer. All in all good news though.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Looked like to me the perp was still moving a bit until after the clerk started his last string of shots, and any movement probably looked dangerous to clerk at that moment (“I shot him 6 times and he’s still moving!”). Wellknown that people dropped by shot can recover blood pressure when they fall and get horzontal. Perp’s gun not visible, so could still be under perp’s control.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I had no problem with his shooting to slide lock, just that he didn't reload,shoot to slide lock and reload again before stepping outside to call 911.

Actually with my phone I can tell it to call 911 while I am still involved.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't blame him for running it out. You don't know the assailant isn't a threat until he's not a threat. It all happened really fast. Looks like he just saw the guy at 3 seconds. At ~6 seconds he puts his left arm around where his firearm is (he's obviously left handed) so his spidy senses are tingling by then. Looks like he recognizes he's being robbed ~9 seconds. Goes for his firearm as soon as the robber looks away. First shot happens between 12-13 seconds. Slide locks back at 18 seconds. So in about 15 seconds his day went from browsing the internet to dead robber on the floor.

I don't think he had another mag. Or maybe he did and didn't think to reload. Regardless, it could have gone bad if the robber had buddies outside and he only has a paperweight. But it didn't.

In the comments someone said this store gets robbed often.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    That will either slow down or the thugs will open fire as soon as they enter.

Top Bottom